Cultivated Reef

Mikeymikemike's Shallow Reef Iwagumi - SPS Edition: Updated July

Mikeymikemike

Very nice tank and scape. I've got a pair of ADA lily pipes I used on my planted tank for a few months...If you ever need an extra pair, pm me.

And yes, the pipes are easily cleaned with an appropriate brush. I've got an ADA wire brush as well.

Thought about doing a canister on my 60p with the pipes but the surface skimming is minimal with the lily pipes and I hate the oil that forms on the surface once in awhile . What was your experience with them?

Waiting for that MAME overflow to come back in stock at SWC and setup a sump.. Where did you purchase yours?

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

Very nice tank and scape. I've got a pair of ADA lily pipes I used on my planted tank for a few months...If you ever need an extra pair, pm me.

And yes, the pipes are easily cleaned with an appropriate brush. I've got an ADA wire brush as well.

Thought about doing a canister on my 60p with the pipes but the surface skimming is minimal with the lily pipes and I hate the oil that forms on the surface once in awhile . What was your experience with them?

Waiting for that MAME overflow to come back in stock at SWC and setup a sump.. Where did you purchase yours?

Thanks! I use a wire brush and a tooth brush for these too and clean them once a week or twice a week. Cleaning the pipes takes about 10 minutes and I usually do it in conjunction with a water change. These pipes have a surface skimmer so I don't get any protein or bubbles on the surface of my tank and there is decent surface agitation. To reduce surface film, you can lift your outlet pipe up and have it stir the water at night time. Then lower it during the day.

I just purchased my Mame skimmer for SWC. It should be on the way soon.

stay tuned for a little update tomorrow :)

• Like 1

They've been out of skimmers since last week. Neill said he might have them in stock again this weekend but nothing's for sure.

EDIT: my bad, I meant overflow not skimmer. I thought you got an overflow.

Nice video. I like the movement of the clowns up high in the tank and also the gentle sway of the lps. The still pics don't capture the soothing peaceful aspect of that. Lovely tank.

• Like 1

This tank is absolutely stunning and an inspiration. I cannot believe more reef aquarists have not adapted the iwagumi style setup. The euphyllia and zoas seem like colorful extensions of the rock work instead of separate pieces by themselves. Simply amazing.

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

I wish I loved in Australia. Beautiful corals right from your backyard and you don't have to pay redicelous shipping costs.

That is true for some corals, but on the other hand, fish and shrimp cost up to 10x more. Eg a fire shrimp cost $160 here for one!

Makes me sad :(

This tank is absolutely stunning and an inspiration. I cannot believe more reef aquarists have not adapted the iwagumi style setup. The euphyllia and zoas seem like colorful extensions of the rock work instead of separate pieces by themselves. Simply amazing.

Thank you, the rocks have a lot of holes and gaps for the skeleton to sit inside. this makes them look like they are blended into the rock aready

• Like 1
Mikeymikemike

On the weekend I presented a masterclass on aquascaping and then judged a competition. Fun day and the contestants received 16 tanks with hardscape and soil!

11209558_10154317803995110_4987419399910

12278676_10154317803710110_8038079216618

• Like 3
Mikeymikemike

Update!

I got myself some new torches from Queensland a 24K torch and green and gold torch.

MAME skimmer! I'll do a review eventually, but this thing is already working.

I'm not sure what breaking-in a skimmer actually involves, but I'll see if it changes behaviour over the next few days.

12274678_10154325671960110_4427949581070

11222890_10154325672130110_3587241514898

• Like 8
Mikeymikemike

12301546_10154327267835110_3530025904520

After 12 hours of running the MAME skimmer, I've seen it get to work already! The cup has about 20ml of grey water in it. Over time I'll adjust it to get more a dry skim. but I don't mind it wet skimming. we'll see what it's like by the end of the week.

• Like 3

12301546_10154327267835110_3530025904520

After 12 hours of running the MAME skimmer, I've seen it get to work already! The cup has about 20ml of grey water in it. Over time I'll adjust it to get more a dry skim. but I don't mind it wet skimming. we'll see what it's like by the end of the week.

Nice dude this skimmer is awesome and its design is elegant, grats on the skimmer. Id recommend replacing air adjuster though that this is jun