Pod Your Reef

Sunstar's Nemesis III - March 2019 - looking... mature...

Sunstar

If you can identify the names of any of the corals here (mostly the zoas I know what the big things are, please let me know. But I did not adjust colour for any

20160227_121816.jpg

20160227_121757.jpg

20160227_121752.jpg

20160227_121702.jpg

20160227_121648.jpg

20160227_121628.jpg

20160227_121601.jpg

20160227_121545.jpg

20160227_121530.jpg

20160227_121516.jpg

20160227_121502.jpg

20160227_121436.jpg

Nice! I'm pretty much useless for identification, though. I just know they're pretty :)

Do they power up and down? because that was what I was experiancing, lights would dim breifly then go up to bright, then dim down again. sort of like passage of clouds.

Yeah, it'll noticeably dim and then get brighter, just like cloud cover moving overhead. Pretty cool. I don't have thunderstorms on, but I think it's pretty cool that you can replicate storms over your aquarium based on a specific location's weather.

Yeah, it'll noticeably dim and then get brighter, just like cloud cover moving overhead. Pretty cool. I don't have thunderstorms on, but I think it's pretty cool that you can replicate storms over your aquarium based on a specific location's weather.

my husband is from Durban South africa, and one reason why I chose that setting.

About bubble tips.

Mine seems a little "unhappy" today. But I wonder if it has something to do with several activities int eh past 24 hours.

It was more of a deep clean WC last night. I spent time, scraped the tank glass, changed the filter media, removed the old carbon (failed to put in new.) added a second bag of chemi-pure elite, cleaned the skimmer and replaced the lime wood.

alk on saturday was 7.7 and it has gone up to 8.9 so possible swing.

Nitrates were 10 on sat and now 5 today.

Also wondering.

Weather has been fair saturday, sunday, but we are getting a winter storm coming over night, so maybe barometrics are playing a factor. water seems a little "cloudy" and I have seen this before storms - but just in case, I added carbon.

Also, I have not been home when my Hydor is on, so maybe she does this while I am at work.

hmmm now I think about it, Carbon. I have some leathers in there now, and she might have been affected by it the nearness of it. Carbon might remedy it.

Edit: she looks happier. Must have been chemi warfare.

• Like 1

March 1st 2016 FTS - 4 Months old.
c3856ca8-a284-4e92-b209-44d7d324ed46.jpg

Things are slowly coming together, Although I am not sure how I should be placing that favia. But for the first time in a while, my dear hallowe'en crab is showing up so beautifully

Fatalities Murders:
Firefish Goby

Evictions: gone to a different more algae infested tank (lots of food)
Hallowe'en Crab
Blue Legged Hermit
Dark/striped leg hermit

Tank Addition:
2x Firefish goby
1 Bubble tip Anemone (temp occupation only)
1 Leather coral (unknown)
Multiple riccordia frags
Couple random Zoanthid Frags
Nanobox Tide Plus M (Custom)with bluefish.

Nanobox Location: Durban South Africa (see sig)

That anemone is doing so so well

871a7c5c-1261-4433-a76b-350c759618af.jpg

• Like 5

If you can identify the names of any of the corals here (mostly the zoas I know what the big things are, please let me know. But I did not adjust colour for any

20160227_121530.jpg

these particular palys look like pink and golds to me. If they are, they are super fast growers. I had some in my biocube and they almost took over my entire tank :blink: Really pretty, but also very hard to control once they get going.

• Like 1

Bouncy looking riccordia Yuma I believe. I acquired several specimens from work before they nuked their tank.

edit Photo would be great. 7278c07e-a9fb-4b14-b7d4-3f5c77763b68.jpg

• Like 2

My frustrating Zoas are busy frustrating me yet again.

What is happening - and I am going to presume either light or possible pox - is that they have their skirts pulled down and their oral disks get pointy upward. They were looking fine until -what day is this, I saw them looking a bit odd on thursday.

I have had pox in the tank before and some of the zoas are sporting white marks. Now this could be sand caught in the skin - its hard to tell. I am using a furan-2 dip AND moving the zoas to a lower location, on the off chance that perhaps its too much light. These ARE my problem zoas. the ones that give me no end of frustration.

any thoughts?

20160227_121648.jpg

20160305_143238.jpg

They don't look like they're getting too much light to me. Mine sometimes look like that after they've been eating though. Do they stay like that all the time?

With zoas, you have to go with whatever works :) They can be so mysterious :ninja:

they can be annoying, they were on a frag rack close to the light so probably had issues. the other zoas are starting to reach up, I ramped the light up a little

• Like 1

managed to burn my arm at work OW. I got it fairly well wrapped for now. Its across the wrist. From about thumb then wraps past the wrist "knuckle thing" then underneath. I was lifting the fry basket out of the oil and tipping it into the bin to scoup onto plates when a half dozen large drops splatterd across my arm. Actually 7 separate burns.I use flamazine - which is a burn cream.

Did a larger than normal water change, almost two gallons tonight.

the leather coral from work now has polyps actually opened. It even seems larger. I am busy trying to get to to agree to attach to the plug. it grabbed a small rock, I glued the rock down and hoping that it will attach to the next hard surface. It even seems slightly pinker.

I got blisters on my hands from cutting eggcrate to make into frag racks for my new 10 gallon frag tank.

And I do appear to have a new outbreak of Zoa pox. It appears to be the usual affected colonies. :/ If they weren't animals I probably would go frag it all. (transformers way of saying the f-bomb) and ditch them.

• Like 1

Three new plugs went in, I had to put the corner rack back in so the green paly could have a space mor or less their own, I may move hte big leather forward and putt he GSP back further. I think the paly was irritating the hamer and I canpresme either the hammer or the leather will piss the other off.

the baby toadstool leather from work attached to my small zoa plug. These are the zoas that have done sweet frag all in over a year. Has been basically 2 polyps since day one. Another mushroom from work that broke into three bits has finally healed. One bit had attached to something hard, so I could glue it to a plug and move out, Still tryingt o get the other two bits to adhere to something. "And that is why," I say to my dear husband, "I need a frag tank."

in regards to the frag tank. I will actually fill the tank with RO, then add the salt mix to the tank to blend.

Next week when I get paid, I will pick up a heater, and a couple pounds of live rock, an extra couple filter bags. I will use flatworm exit on the tank and cycle it for a while. I am holding a bag of old chemi-pure to use as a bio-seed as I am not using live sand, well maybe no more than a shallow container for stuff to sit on. Now I think about it, a small sand container will be useful for things like anthelia - to control spread.

10 gallon - run of hte mill tank - with egg crate - any suggestions for layout?

Intended equipment:

AC110

Hydor Powerhead

Digital Therm.

DIY LED fixture (the former one this tank had)

Eventual equipment

DIY ATO (current Nemesis III has, will get moved over during an upgrade)

Oceanic Skimmer (The one Nemesis III has, will get moved over during an upgrade)

I will start a thread closer to start time of the tank - Thinking of a themed name...

Pics of some of the frags.

20160308_164340.jpg

sorry about the blurr. the toadstool is next to the orange/green shroom. that orange green shroom is the one that has done squat for months.

20160308_164318.jpg

Leather is doing very well.

My firefish decided to jump ship while I was out for 3 hours.... Not even. found it on the floor by my desk.... simply put, it got through a tiny space in the lid. How aggravating.

My firefish decided to jump ship while I was out for 3 hours.... Not even. found it on the floor by my desk.... simply put, it got through a tiny space in the lid. How aggravating.

Sorry to hear this! I keep reading about fish still getting out through the tiny spaces around this lid. I just can't see it happening, but apparently it does. :(