IM Fusion 20 (ex)Bedroom Reef

Percula101

Latest FTS 25/1/16

post-88999-0-72730800-1453753508_thumb.jpg

Tank Specs
Tank: Innovative Marine Fusion Nano 20
Stand: Homemade Industrial style Oak console table
Lights: 2x SKKYE Light 18 watt LED
Filtration: 2x IM CC media baskets (Floss, AquaPhos Xtra, purigen). Bag of carbon near return pump.
Skimmer: IM Ghost Desktop (Probably going to remove as it's noisy and doesn't seem to do anything!)
Heating: DIY STC Controller with 2x Aqua One 55w @ 26°C
Return Pump: Jebao DC2000 @ 20% power
Wavemaker: Jebao RW-4 Pulsing @ 30% power
ATU: Modified TMC V2 (Added another float valve in the reservoir which stops the pump burning out if it runs dry) (Topping up by hand but on the look out for a new ATU)
Salt: Brightwell Aquatics NeoMarine @ SG 1.025

Husbandry
Clean Floss every other day in RO water and replace weekly. Clean glass every 3 days. Blast rocks to remove detritus weekly. 5 gallon water change every 10 days, siphoning off any detritus which builds up on the bottom. Replace carbon every month and AquaPhos Xtra every 4-6 weeks depending on when levels start to rise. Change purigen when it goes brown!

Fish
1x Ocellaris Clowns
1x Falcos Hawkfish
1x Royal Grammar

Corals - SPS
Red Plating Monti

Green Plating Monti
Tri-colour Hystrix

Corals - LPS
Green Hammer (4 Heads)
Green Galaxea
Green Candy Canes
Purple Gorgonian
Purple Tipped Frogspawn (2 Heads)

Golden Torch (6 Heads)

Goniopora

Corals - Soft
Green Star Polyps
Devils Finger Leather
Green Furry Mushrooms
Blue Discoma Mushrooms
Irish Cream Zoas
Fire and Ice Zoas
Alpha and Omega Zoas

Rasta Zoas

Rainbow Zoas
Green Palys (Not sure what type)

Inverts
Rose Bubble Tip Anemone (Eaten by Cowrie)
Peach Bubble Tip Anemone (Hosted by clowns)
4x Red Legged Hermits
3x Turbo Snails
Tuxedo Urchin
Cowrie (See RBTA)

Hi all,
My name's Matt. I've been reef keeping for a few years now and have just downsized from a custom built 600 litre shallow reef to an all-in-one 90 litre nano. I love it! After lots of research, I decided on the Fusion 20 mainly because of the basic filtration compartment in the back and it's modern, clean look. They're not readily available over here in the UK so I had to phone a lot of people to track one down.

Originally the idea was to have it in the living room in the spot where my old tank was. I only set it up in the bedroom temporarily so that livestock could be moved/ re-homed and the old tank could be dismantled and sold, then I was going to move the new one over to the living room......however.....my wife and I both like it in our bedroom so there it is staying! It's nice to watch it whilst having a cuppa tea in bed in the mornings before work. EDIT: Moved to front room. Impossible to sleep through the constant hum!

post-88999-0-76711000-1440848360_thumb.jpg

My plan is to keep everything really simple. Waterchanges will be the main nutrient export technique. Probably going to remove the skimmer as it's terrible and very loud. No sand so that nutrient levels are kept low and manageable. No more fish will be added but the plan is to gradually fill it up with LPS, softies and zoas and maybe a few easy SPS.

Hope you like! I'll post more pics as I go. Feel free to comment and advise!

That's one expensive night light! Looking forward for updates.

Ha! Certainly is! Cheaper than my old tank though and much easier to look after.

How are you finding the Jebao DC2000?

I hated the OEM return pump, it was WAY too loud. I replaced mine with a Cobalt Aquatics MJ1200, but my firefish seems to think its too much flow and only comes out when the return is off.

I'm quite pleased with it. Flows good, I like the control it gives you and the feed setting. It is quieter than the stock pump but it's not exactly silent. I've only had it in for a few days so it needs to wear in which should quieten it down a bit. I had a dc6000 on my last tank and that was virtually silent so I have high hopes for this one too.

I'm not sure what to put in the media baskets. Lots of these tanks seem to use purigen. Anyone know if its worth having?

Following.

Post some closer up pics of the tank!

Will do when I bring my camera home from work. Pictures come out rubbish on my phone!

• 2 weeks later...

Following.. weve got the same tanks! Great stocklist

Cheers! Unfortunately my new rbta disappeared a few days ago and reappeared half eaten and leaking gunk so he had to go :( He was beautiful! I suspect it was the cowrie as they have been known to munch on anemones.

I'm quite pleased with it. Flows good, I like the control it gives you and the feed setting. It is quieter than the stock pump but it's not exactly silent. I've only had it in for a few days so it needs to wear in which should quieten it down a bit. I had a dc6000 on my last tank and that was virtually silent so I have high hopes for this one too.

I'm not sure what to put in the media baskets. Lots of these tanks seem to use purigen. Anyone know if its worth having?

Yeah I'm trying to decide between the DC1200 and DC2000 right now.

How fast are you running your DC-2000?

I use a sicce1.5 on my Fusion 20 gal and it works great

Purigen works great imo. I've always used it when I don't have a reactor in place. Carbon and purigen are great combo.

You could think about the IM Desktop Reactor. I added one a couple months ago and have been very happy with it. Currently running gfo but may switch over to carbon as my phosphates have been 0 for several weeks now

I'm running the Jebao at about 20% at the moment but I'm still playing with it. It's quite powerful!

I used reactors etc on my old tank but on this one I'm keeping it as simple as possible so won't bother. Corals all look great and the small amount of algae which was transfered over on the rocks has died off so the simple approach seems to work fine for now.

The Fusion 20 club patiently awaits your membership :D

Also - Do your clowns harass the Hawkfish at all?

I'll get some better shots and join the club soon.

Nah my clowns are lovely now. They used to harrass my regal tang in my old tank but since being moved into this tiny tank they have been really chilled out. They all hang out together now.

I'm running the Jebao at about 20% at the moment but I'm still playing with it. It's quite powerful!

I used reactors etc on my old tank but on this one I'm keeping it as simple as possible so won't bother. Corals all look great and the small amount of algae which was transfered over on the rocks has died off so the simple approach seems to work fine for now.

Nice.

I picked one up, running it at 65% off of my Apex.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes a few updates. Not all good. For a start it's no longer technically a bedroom reef....... It's now a living room reef as most are. After 4 years I've lost my black clown :( Think she had an illness as she went down hill fast for no apparent reason. Due to a much heavier workload I have been neglecting the tank recently but I'm getting back on track with it so will post pics when it's looking better :)

What you using for filtration media? Are you using skimmer?

In one media basket floss>aquaphos xtra>purigen>phosphate sponge. In the other side floss>aquaphos xtra>carbon>phosphate sponge. I alternate which aquaphos is changed so that phosphates drop gradually. This is usually done every 6-8weeks. Carbon changed monthly. Floss weekly. 25% water change weekly which is only a buckets worth. No skimmer as I rely on water changes. I went bare bottomed with this one and only have 3 fish and a strict husbandry routine to keep nitrates etc down. I did try a ghost skimmer but it was really loud and didn't work very well so I took it out. I haven't seen any negative effects at all, in fact my corals all look really happy. :)

Really nice looking tank!

Cheers!

In one media basket floss>aquaphos xtra>purigen>phosphate sponge. In the other side floss>aquaphos xtra>carbon>phosphate sponge. I alternate which aquaphos is changed so that phosphates drop gradually. This is usually done every 6-8weeks. Carbon changed monthly. Floss weekly. 25% water change weekly which is only a buckets worth. No skimmer as I rely on water changes. I went bare bottomed with this one and only have 3 fish and a strict husbandry routine to keep nitrates etc down. I did try a ghost skimmer but it was really loud and didn't work very well so I took it out. I haven't seen any negative effects at all, in fact my corals all look really happy. :)

Cheers!

thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Archived