Coral Vue Hydros

RollaJase's Trip Off the Deep End - Custom Rimless 55G

RollaJase

Stand Build - Vents & Shelf:

Made some good progress this weekend but still managed to get roped into vineyard work on Sunday after letting chores get away from me on Saturday.

So I went to the hardware store to pick up some of these.

hbySWd.jpg

To be mounted here.

JLKYd5.jpg

I really wanted to get a couple of these but the hardware store didn't have them.

I wanted to have some vents to help remove the damp, warm air when the fans weren't in use. The fan openings would take care of this job partially but more ventilation is always good when dealing with humid air IMO, especially when around wood. These vents were in the original design and were going to span the entire width of the rear of the stand and be mounted at the top. When I moved the fans I decided it may just be easier to find something off the shelf that would suit.

These are your standard sized 'small' vents that are supposed to be used in conjunction with ducting.

c7oMOn.jpg

The build quality is pretty good and the front vent is removable for cleaning etc. I wont be needing the ducting mount so 5 mins later after going nuts with the hack saw and the Dremel I am left with this.

QemowQ.jpg

A few rough measurements later and my friend the hole saw and its all mounted.

FQykwg.jpg
qAZbtZ.jpg

I opted for a white vent as the entire stand will be painted white.

I also made the shelf I will place the doser on. I thought ahead and designed it with enough room to add the expansion unit also if I ever need it. I've got plenty of off cut MDF so this didn't take any longer than about 30misn to make from start to finish.

Start with some MDF, notched for cables.

5swsCP.jpg

Put a couple of sides on the shelf.

YSzPvm.jpg

Attach a couple of shelf brackets.

dgSMQF.jpg

And done.

A7KekT.jpg

This will be directly attached to the rear of the stand and I will be adding a few pieces of solid pine on the rear of the stand to give the screws a bit more meat to bite into.

I have also been thinking a lot about cable management and how to simply and easily route cables around the stand. I'll be using adhesive cable channel but will be using a few screws also for piece of mind (adhesives don't typically work that well in environments with lots of moisture). I was thinking of running two separate cable channels, one for each power board but I think it may just be a waste and take up too much room. This is a quick mock up of a short run I plan on putting below the control box to neatly run cables to the power boards. It will also serve as a way to route the power cord for the doser and the LED lights I will be installing.

ZzsQWK.jpg

My agenda for next weekend is more vineyard work but I do want to get the top of the stand mounted. I'm just going to estimate how much room I will need for the plumbing and cut the top accordingly. Before I can get the top mounted though I need to sand the bottom of the stand smooth (orbit sander) and do the same to the top to make sure everything is level. Then the cladding can be finished off :). Once I am finished drilling and sanding I will coat the rest of the interior of the stand with 3 coats for the water proofing.

Annnnnnnnd, I'm just going to leave this here ;).

A9arEE.jpg

• Like 6
jedimasterben

I really hope that you didn't change any settings on the controller. Turning on an LDD without it being connected to a load usually makes them pop. :o

• Like 1

Looking well planned out gonna be a great set up!

Thanks!I can't wait to get it all set up.

I really hope that you didn't change any settings on the controller. Turning on an LDD without it being connected to a load usually makes them pop. :o

This is not something I knew :wacko:. Luckily for me, no popped drivers I guess. I used the jumpers on the board the activate/deactivate each channel respectively once I had attached an LED with electrical tape. I also tested each channel on the LEDs with no issues. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Wow! I love how thought out your stand is! I really appreciate all the attention to detail.

Thanks Felicia :). This attention to detail is probably why it is all taking so long for me to finish :(. Like most of my projects I always tend to blow out my dead lines haha.

• Like 2

I'd rather take my time and do it right then regret parts of it later! I am so looking forward to one day having the space to build a custom stand so I can set it up just how I want it. My current stand works well and is such an improvement over my original, but it still has things I wish were different.

• Like 1

I'd rather take my time and do it right then regret parts of it later! I am so looking forward to one day having the space to build a custom stand so I can set it up just how I want it. My current stand works well and is such an improvement over my original, but it still has things I wish were different.

There is always things I look at and think "I could have done that better". On my 30G, when I reinstalled the new sump there were a few things I immediately regretted. Most of my regrets were around size though, it can be really hard to fit a fully functioning sump in a small stand without sacrificing other things. I have been really careful with the design of this stand to make everything easy to access and service while still maximizing the space. Probably the one thing I haven't given a whole lot of thought to is the plumbing. I have had a few ideas in regards to this but I really want to see how the sump fits in there first before going ahead with anything.

• Like 1

I had a spare 10mins this morning while i was waiting for a webinar to start so I threw together a quick list of stuff that needs to be completed on the stand.

Important:
- sand base of stand flat
- level top of stand
- cut and mount stand top
- final mount of cladding (possibly reinforce cladding), mount magnet clasps
- drill holes in rear of stand for cable pass through
- drill holes in power supply mount for cable pass through
- finish fan mounts (plate for fans to attach to)
- make plumbing manifold mount
- Make plumbing manifold
- additional reinforcement if required (additional wood or brackets)
- final fill and sand of stand
- paint inside of stand with water proofing
- paint stand white

Not So Important:
- mount light hanging kit
- mount doser shelf
- make and mount internal stand lighting (can be done once stand is in place)
- cut side panel for control box access, install window/lid (can be done once stand is in place)
- mount cable management (can be done once stand is in place)

This is all I can think of at this time and the list doesn't include anything that directly relates to the tank and equipment (besides the plumbing manifold). Anything equipment related can essentially be done when the tank is in place and cycling. I get an odd sense of satisfaction writing up a 'to do list' and marking things off as I complete them. I do it every morning at work and it really gives you a sense of achievement when you start marking things off and watch the list get smaller and smaller. On the other hand I usually find myself adding more and more to my list as I actively think about my tasks lol.

• Like 3

I wish I had the energy to create to do lists lol. I'm only capable of doing ONE single thing a day though, no more than one thing. Monday - Do groceries. Tuesday - Catch up with mate for lunch - Wed... you get the drift HAHA!

• Like 2

I wish I had the energy to create to do lists lol. I'm only capable of doing ONE single thing a day though, no more than one thing. Monday - Do groceries. Tuesday - Catch up with mate for lunch - Wed... you get the drift HAHA!

I love to try and plan my days the same way lol. Sadly with my work hours and trying to pack so much into the 24 hours of day light on the weekends I have found this is the only way to motivate me to keep going haha.

• Like 1

Managed to get a lot done on the stand over the weekend, mostly some tidy up stuff but it needed to be done. All the 'construction' type work is now complete, I just need to do the final fit of the cladding and then I can paint the sucker!

Here is how the list looks now :).

Important:
- level top of stand
- Make plumbing manifold
- paint stand white

Not So Important:
- mount doser shelf
- cut side panel for control box access, install window/lid (can be done once stand is in place)

The issue I found is that the base and top of the stand are slightly twisted. This is probably due to how I screwed it all together and me not using a flat enough surface when I laid it all out for assembly. This resulted in about 3 hours of sanding to get everything close to level in my mind. On the base the rear left corner sits slightly higher, I can chock this up so no big deal. The top is almost fully flat, slightly high on the rear left. When I lay the foam down for the tank to sit on it should help level this all out. This coming weekend I will aim to get the cladding all mounted and leveled, now that the stand is almost fully square and level the panels are slightly off which will either mean I need to modify the mounts slightly or chock them up.

I'll have a picture update some time this week :).

• Like 3

Stand Build - Cable Management, Fan Brackets & Top:

Spent some solid time in the shed this weekend, managed to finish off some smaller jobs so that I could cross them off my list (see above).

I started off with drilling holes in the stand to pass through some cables. I started with the power board mount.

fGVny7.jpg

I soon realised that the hole on the left was fouled against the stand upright and I couldn't actually get the cable through. The simple fix was to join the two holes using the jigsaw.

myydLd.jpg

Simple but effective fix, I think it looks better this way.

I also drilled the holes in the rear of the stand for power. I only think I need one hole but drilled a second to be safe.

BNPhKt.jpg

Yes the top one is off center, so sue me :P.

Next up was finishing the bracket to which I mount the circulation fans.

N9p0Kw.jpg

Started off with my pre-cut covers for the fan boxes I installed. I measured and drilled mounting holes to line up with the threaded inserts on the fan boxes.
Rw7qnr.jpg

I attached a 120mm fan template that I downloaded online.
aOWWjN.jpg

Then I just drilled out the holes and cut the fan opening out with the jigsaw.
5i9ixQ.jpg

Covers temporarily mounted before I just the bolts to length. I'll have 1 fan each for intake and exhaust. I will also attach a fan grill to the front of the fans to avoid anything getting sucked in when I do the final install of the fans.

Last on the list was installing the top of the stand.

STZnr2.jpg

It was quite rewarding to see the top go on square and with no issues, such a relief.

v5gmx5.jpg

I still don't know the final measurements for my overflow box on the new tank but I just the access hole for the plumbing anyway. I was generous (I think) with the size of the hole but it I need to widen it I can fairly easily. Note how the hole doesn't run to the edge? I explicitly told the tank builder not to drill any holes within 55-60mm of the edge of the tank, the thickness of the wood I used is 35mm so the drains and return should clear this no problem.

Unseen is the 3 hours or so I spent sanding the base of the stand to make it sit as level as possible. The wood used for the base was slightly warped and this, along with me not using a flat enough surface for initial clamping, resulted in the base of the stand having a high corner. I rectified and much of this as I could with the orbit sander before doing the same to the top frame before finally fixing the top in place. Some more standing is required throughout the stand but this is mainly for cosmetic purposes.

Now that the construction of the stand is basically complete I will be aiming to get the cladding installed correctly this coming weekend. I'll also be able to give the stand a really good clean before I give the rest of the interior as well as the top a coat of the water proofing paint. Hopefully the following weekend I'll be able to paint it :D.

• Like 7

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Thanks Eugene! I should be bowing down to you though buddy ;).

This weekend has been an interesting one. Spent my Saturday doing some shopping with the girlfriend and had planned on spending all Sunday trying to finish the cladding (this ended up being a larger task than I had anticipated. A friend on mine swung by mid morning today to drop something off, in typical Italian fashion (he drives an Alfa) when he went to leave the car wouldn't start. Starter was cranking but car wouldn't turn over so we checked the spark leads, checked all electrical connections on the engine, pulled up the rear seat to check the fuel pump and still nothing. We were about to call it quits (not wanting to kill the starter motor) and tried it one last time and BAM! car started with no trouble. Typical temperamental Italian, the only Italian vehicle I have ever experienced to be reliable is Dad's tractor! This killed about roughly 2 hours of my day before I was able to get back in the shed.

With that said, when I did get down there, this was my workshop for the day:

54dR2e.jpg

Stand Build - Cladding Part 2:

Getting the cladding install finished was my top priority for today and I'm happy to say that I did eventually get this task finished :). I started off my mounting my magnet clamps, these will fix the cladding to the stand at the top left and right corners. These clasps are a 46mm long (about 1 3/4") and require 4KG of pulling strength to detach.

D9YwtX.jpg

The corresponding metal tab fixed to the inside of the cladding:

lpSznB.jpg

The front piece was the easiest to get right and required me to adjust the mount by a few millimeters on the left hand side The left and right side cladding required a little more playing around to get them sitting how I wanted. All in all it took me about 1hr per panel to get them sitting exactly how I wanted.

ogQAzz.jpg

QyoCpV.jpg

Looks pretty good I think :).

There are a few things I will change with the cladding. The front piece I think needs a third clasp in the center of the panel up top. As this panel is quite long I would rather have the clasp there to help prevent the panel from flexing. I was also contemplating putting a clamp on the bottom of each panel, toward the center. After second thought I don't really think this will be required. Lastly, I think I need to run some pine up the back of each panel to help prevent warping. In the time I spent today in the shed the panels warped quite severely when being in direct sunlight for a prolonged period of time. I know the humid air on the inside of the stand will probably cause the same so I rather be safe than sorry, it won't take me long to add this.

With the cladding complete I also gave everything what I hope will be the final going over with filler before I can smooth everything out prior to painting.

APcZXM.jpg

I aim to try and get the rest of the interior water proofed over a few nights this week before sanding everything and possible painting this coming weekend! If the weather is anything like what we have had this weekend then I think it will be a fairly simple task.

The last structural piece I need to make for the stand is the mount for my plumbing manifold. The pump is going to feed a 3 outlet manifold before feeding the return of the tank. Two of the three outlets will be used initially with the third being there as a spare and for expansion. The manifold will run horizontally across the back of the stand before rising vertically to run up the overflow to the locline return. I have run a few designs through my head but I really want to try and minimise the transference of vibration from the manifold to the stand. Ultimately, there will always be some vibration but the more I can reduce this the better. I am thinking of running another piece of timber between the center and right side vertical supports, putting some rubber between it and the back board on the stand. I can then use something like THIS to fix the pipe to that bracing. I can run the pipe through some of that heat/insulation foam that they use on air conditioners and water heater piping to take up the space between the pipe and the clamp. I can get smaller saddles for say 20mm pipe (I will be using 15-20mm for return) but I like the the one linked to above, the pipe doesn't directly touch what it is being mounted to. I need to go to the hardware store anyway so I might wander around aimlessly and try and fine something else suitable.

• Like 3

Stand Build - Tidying Up:

A very productive Sunday was just had. The stand is now FINSIHED!!! ready for paint. I do have a few things like the lighting, plumbing and cable management to sort out but the stand as it will sit is complete.

To start with, I glued a square piece of MDF to the rear of the stand.

wNKlFt.jpg

This will give the shelf screws something to bite into when I mount it after painting. Glue enough is enough to make a really good bond between MDF, I used a tin of paint to hold the piece flat to ensure it bonded correctly.

Next up is the plumbing manifold mount.

YQifNp.jpg

Started off with a off cut piece of pine cut to size.

Q4CThi.jpg

For the anti-vibration material I am using some left over sound deadening that I had for lining my current tank stand.

QG1EjZ.jpg
xFpHal.jpg

Testing for size and screwed into place. The foam will help keep the vibration transference to the thin back of the stand to a minimum. It will also add some additional support to the right side of the stand.

qmRnAl.jpg

Lastly I hit it with a few coats of the water proofer.

Over a few nights during the week I gave the rest of the interior a few coats of the water proofer also.

hWGSqg.jpg

The floor of the stand has seen 3 coats, the rest has seen 2 coats.

3WweD4.jpg

I also did 2 coats to the top of the stand just to be safe.

I spent a few hours this afternoon doing the final sand on the stand, this included the cladding. I used the orbit sander and 320grit fine disks to remove as much of the sanding marks as possible and make the filler as smooth as possible. Not entirely necessary as I will be painting rather than staining but at least I know the prep has been done to a level I am happy with.

rXv3MK.jpg

Now all I need to do is sort out a paint. I am going to need to prime the wood first, the raw pine and MDF will soak up paint like a sponge otherwise. For the paint I am either going to go wit ha flat ceiling white and a satin or gloss sealer. My other option is using a semi gloss or gloss interior wall paint. Paint is not as cheap as I had anticipated so and seeing as I estimate I need about 2L I want to make sure I get it right. I want the stand to stand out a little so a gloss of some sort would be nice.

Here is the to do list as it currently stands.

Important:
- level top of stand
- Make plumbing manifold
- paint stand white

Not So Important:
- mount doser shelf

Hopefully I can sort out the paint this week and get a few coats done over the coming weekend. In the time being I can start sorting out the interior stand lighting and start hording bits and pieces to install after the interior is painted.

• Like 3

Been following along in the shadows! Stand's looking great, following to see it come together. Looks like an awesome build!

Thanks Marc :). I sure hope all this effort will pay off. Still waiting for the tank to come in.

Looks like Image Shack is having some serious issues so the photos aren't working. I hope they get their act together soon. May look at a new service going forward. Don't really want to bulk upload images again.