Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nanobox Mini Tide or Kessil A160WE for IM Fusion 10?

Gamby

I am getting back into the hobby after a 15 year absence. Much has changed...In fact everything has!

I purchased an IM Fusion 10 as my first venture but I am unsure of the best lighting for the tank. I would like the option to keep LPS, SPS and softies. From my forum reading, it does not look like the IM 18W SKKYE fixture is suitable for SPS corals. It looks like the members of the forum have used a number of different lighting options for the Fusion 10 tank including the Nanobox and Kessil. I stopped by local store and he recommended the Radion which is more money than I would like to spend.

I am looking for input on both the Nanobox Mini Tide (with the Storm controller) and the Kessil A160WE(with Spectral controller). Any thoughts, comments, preferences or recommendations would be appreciated!

Thank you!

All for the nanobox tide. Built very very well and you'll have pretty good control of the light with the storm controller. With the tide you won't be limited by your light at all.

Well, since this is your first tank in quite a while, I am not sure I would be too concerned with keeping SPS corals just yet, and the latest 18W Skyye light would probably work well enough for many corals - one of my local shops has a Nuvo 10 lit by it keeping a fair amount alive (including a couple of SPS corals) over the last 2 months.

That said, either of the lights you noted above would be controllable and more than enough to keep anything you would like alive in the Nuvo 10, but the biggest issue for me on a tank that small is the form factor (i.e. appearance) of the light itself. The Kessil is actually quite a bit more "noticeable" compared to the MiniTide - I have used both (an A150W actually, which is the same size as the A160W) over my Nuvo 10, and much prefer the smaller and lower form of the NanoBox light.

However, you are paying quite a bit for either of the lights you noted, and the new IM light would work well enough for LPS and softies - I am using less than half the total output capacity of my MiniTide over my IM tank with soft corals for example.

SouthFlorida_Tron

I love my Mini Tide, I just sent it back in to add the storm controller to really utilize the full spectrum... it puts out a lot of light, i have it over a 4g Cad...

One thing I'm not too crazy about but you really get used to is that the fan is rather loud... after a few weeks you don't pay attention to it...

Thanks for the input!

I know that the IM Skkye 18w light would be just fine to get me started but I fugure I would rather spend a little extra money on the front end and have some lighting that I can grow with. I also like the idea of having some controls for the lighting. The Skkye is just on or off.

I will go with Nanobox Tide and the Storm controller.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

+1 on the nanobox as well. I have a Kessil 150 and while I love it, I have done a lot of talking with Dave the guy who makes the nanobox's and he said its quieter than the Kessil. My Kessil is a little too loud for my tastes but since I got it for a hell of a deal I cant complain too much. One of these days I will upgrade to a nanobox too tho!

Does anyone know if the lime green leds are included on the new Nanobox Mini Tide?

They are. I have had a few things that I had to update on my website. However the current gen is lime included. :)

-Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the response!

What is the current lead time for the Tide? Also, do you know if the gooseneck bracket is the best mounting choice for the IM Fusion 10?

NANO TIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I received my light just before Christmas and this is the best purchase I've done for my tank. My SPS is getting amazing coloration that it never even had when I first got it! Here is a comparison photo from the week before I got my tide to 8 days later:

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/KatieLynnGilpatrick/media/Mobile%20Uploads/9EBB5899-2F4A-4C02-AF80-E9FEB76F6BC5_zps8ribqdxg.jpg.html'>9EBB5899-2F4A-4C02-AF80-E9FEB76F6BC5_zps

http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/KatieLynnGilpatrick/media/68ACAD9B-F4A9-4E52-BC04-E3ED746DAE08_zpsjl7uqf5o.jpg.html'>68ACAD9B-F4A9-4E52-BC04-E3ED746DAE08_zps

Nice

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/337458-progress-on-orders-check-your-order-and-others/'>http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/337458-progress-on-orders-check-your-order-and-others/

This is the thread you will now refresh quite frequently hoping to see updates on your light while dooling at everyone elses lights.

I will do my best to post updates as I make pregress. This is my first tank in 15 years so I am just starting to gather equipment and knowledge to build the best nano reef that I can. An ro/di unit and an ato unit are next on my list.

Thanks to all for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how bad the color banding is on the nano box? My main draw to the Kessil is that all the diodes are on one chip so the colors blend together better. I can't stand the whole vibrating discoball look when the LEDs are spaced apart.

It's pretty much not noticeable to me. Worst color banding i see is outside of the tank where the different leds cast their light on the rim at different angles.

Can anyone tell me how bad the color banding is on the nano box? My main draw to the Kessil is that all the diodes are on one chip so the colors blend together better. I can't stand the whole vibrating discoball look when the LEDs are spaced apart.

You won't see any.

-Dave

You won't see any.

-Dave

I tried to make the disco effect to explain to a friend and it's practically impossible with this fixture.

If you see any disco you are using the light wrong.

Archived