Pod Your Reef

50G SCA system, by Greaps

jmorriso001

The tank:

50 Gallon SCA system, stock plumbing, sump, and stand.

The Equipment:

Ocean Revive 120W Led, on DIY light rail hanging 8 inches above water.

Coral Box DC300 Skimmer, operating in 6.5 inches of water.

Jebao RW-4, Power Head

Jebao DC12000, Return Pump

Eheim 125W Heater

Aqua Smart ATO ( not yet installed ) Tested @ 0.75 Gallons of Evaporation per day.

Currently Cycling, heres a first look.

IMG_20141216_122707387_HDR_zpscc92264a.j

BRS reef saver rock, and Special Grade Arag-Alive sand. Three island aquascape. IMG_20141216_122625511_HDR_zpsd99a3996.jIMG_20141216_122635019_HDR_zps003c74c9.jIMG_20141216_122613094_HDR_zps26c602b5.j

I've been considering SCA's 24 Gallon PnP system. What do you think about the quality of their stuff? Is the cabinet well made? How's the set-up? Everything go together nice and easy?

The scape looks good btw. Minimalist!

I've been considering SCA's 24 Gallon PnP system. What do you think about the quality of their stuff? Is the cabinet well made? How's the set-up? Everything go together nice and easy?

I think the quality is top notch.

Construction was a breeze. I went stock plumbing, its fairly quite, but stock plumbing does not have any form of emergency overflow, only one pipe taking water down to the pipe. In order to have an emergency you would need a return from over the back. Thats one downside for sure.

The sump is also a little unusual, since its made for filter floss not socks, there is a center divider between the skimmer chamber and floss chamber, that glass pane could be removed with a razor though leaving you the standard three chamber sump. I kept it stock.

Overall I am very pleased with the purchase. Ask for a discount, it never hurts to ask.

Cool. The 24 PnP is an all in one, no sump. It's pretty deeply discounted already and I live close enough to do a willcall. Thanks for the info.

Setup my ATO today, used a 5 gallon instant ocean container, the container has a good seal which I liked. I drilled a hole in the top just large enough for my tubing, and a second hole for the pumps electrical, and to allow air in to prevent a vacuum. Only change I would make is to instead drill the holes into the side of the bucket near but just below the top rim, this way I could open and close the bucket without the wires and tubing getting pulled up with the lid.

Buying more salt, so I'll have a second chance to get it right.

The plan is to find a more aesthetic solution, maybe dress it up by putting it inside a basket or something, and to begin dosing Kalk mixed into ato at an later time.

Archived