Top Shelf Aquatics

CrazyCarl's SCA 66G

CrazyCarl

Finished my upgrade from a nuvo 16 to an SCA 66 Gallon w/sump. Figured I would start a new thread. I transferred over everything a few weeks ago and picked up a few things to fill it out a bit, mostly a bunch of frags at the moment, still need a few more things. Enjoy. Hopefully everything starts growing!

1/4/16

DSC_0934_zpsuwlm64sc.jpg

11/8/15

DSC_0687_zpsnuxzxstc.jpg

3/17/15

DSC_0406_zpstrccn5q2.jpg
1/11/15
DSC_0484_zps9b117731.jpg
12/21/14
DSC_0386_zpsacb87d94.jpg

DSC_0376_zps7d686ccd.jpg

DSC_0373_zps028f3359.jpg

Equipment
SCA 66 gallon PNP w/sump and SCA skimmer
Maxspect Razor 120w
BML custom 30"
BRS reactor
MP10

Livestock
Yellow assessor

Talbots Damsel

Pair of Red Headed Solon Wrasse

Green Mandarin

Helfrichi Firefish
Mystery wrasse
Yellow eye Kole Tang

B&W ocellaris
Tridacna Maxima
Fire Shrimp
Halloween Hermit (banished to sump)
Scarlet Hermit

Corals

SPS
Strawberry shortcake
Hawkins Echinata
JF purps acro
JF champagne cooler
Green efflo
pink and green millies
green and red monti caps
green and orange digitata
pocillopora
purple birdsnest

ORA BOP
Red Dragon
a few other random acropora

LPS
Duncans
Candycane

Torch

Softies
Zoanthids
GSP
Ricordea
Gorgonian (corky sea finger I think?)

Long Polyp leather

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey. I'm glad another person on here decided to get an SCA tank. A lot of people are sleeping on these tanks but it seems that some hobbyists are starting getting these around the holidays.

I read what you posted about the sump. If you were to do a 180 on your sump, it would be in the correct direction. The dual box area goes on the right where the drain is position. The drain pipe goes in the box furthest away from you and the skimmer in the box closest to you.

GL with your build!!! :)

Hey. I'm glad another person on here decided to get an SCA tank. A lot of people are sleeping on these tanks but it seems that some hobbyists are starting getting these around the holidays.

I read what you posted about the sump. If you were to do a 180 on your sump, it would be in the correct direction. The dual box area goes on the right where the drain is position. The drain pipe goes in the box furthest away from you and the skimmer in the box closest to you.

GL with your build!!! :)

Thanks, yeah I am really pleased with the tank, and I think you're right, the secret is out now.

The sump didn't work spun 180 (trust me I tried), the skimmer only fits in that one compartment, the other one is too small. If I spin 180 the skimmer ends up in the back right, so my options would have been have the drain empty into the skimmer chamber, or pipe the drain to the front of the sump with additional fittings, which would also create access issues to the skimmer. Trust me I tried everything, I thought there was something wrong with me after racking my brain for a good 15 minutes, lol. I think the tank was just drilled wrong honestly or that one baffle between the drain and skimmer is in the wrong spot, but not a big deal.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/b93d453d-eec0-4f90-8ec8-d5c94e35a580_zpsfe2d0a9a.jpg.html'>b93d453d-eec0-4f90-8ec8-d5c94e35a580_zps

Love this... The list of livestock is identical to what I would do with that tank. How do you like the Maxspect?

Thanks. Still looking for suggestions for a couple more fish. The maxspect is great, although I wouldn't recommend it on its own for a tank this size (the 160w would be perfect), that's why I am supplementing with a build my led strip, and will most likely be adding another when I can find a way to hide the purchase from the wife, lol. I can't blame her though, the kids may have to go to community college by the time I am done...

Awesome upgrade. Can't wait to see all the spsgrow out.

Thanks. I can't wait either. Just need to focus on keeping it stable now. Been testing every few days and so far so good. Once things start to really get going I may have to be adjusting the dosing a lot.

In other news RIP Maxima, came home to my hermit having a nice meal. I don't think it survived the FW dip from yesterday. I really shouldn't have waited so long but just didn't have time to dip it until then. Sucks. I think I am going to wait a while for the next clam until the system is a little dirtier and there are more fish, and will most likely get a squamosa, crocea or a derasa. They just seem hardier.

Thanks, yeah I am really pleased with the tank, and I think you're right, the secret is out now.

The sump didn't work spun 180 (trust me I tried), the skimmer only fits in that one compartment, the other one is too small. If I spin 180 the skimmer ends up in the back right, so my options would have been have the drain empty into the skimmer chamber, or pipe the drain to the front of the sump with additional fittings, which would also create access issues to the skimmer. Trust me I tried everything, I thought there was something wrong with me after racking my brain for a good 15 minutes, lol. I think the tank was just drilled wrong honestly or that one baffle between the drain and skimmer is in the wrong spot, but not a big deal.

b93d453d-eec0-4f90-8ec8-d5c94e35a580_zps

Thanks. Still looking for suggestions for a couple more fish. The maxspect is great, although I wouldn't recommend it on its own for a tank this size (the 160w would be perfect), that's why I am supplementing with a build my led strip, and will most likely be adding another when I can find a way to hide the purchase from the wife, lol. I can't blame her though, the kids may have to go to community college by the time I am done...

Thanks. I can't wait either. Just need to focus on keeping it stable now. Been testing every few days and so far so good. Once things start to really get going I may have to be adjusting the dosing a lot.

In other news RIP Maxima, came home to my hermit having a nice meal. I don't think it survived the FW dip from yesterday. I really shouldn't have waited so long but just didn't have time to dip it until then. Sucks. I think I am going to wait a while for the next clam until the system is a little dirtier and there are more fish, and will most likely get a squamosa, crocea or a derasa. They just seem hardier.

I see why it didn't fit. You have the 302 skimmer and not the 301. The 301 fits the 50G sump and the sump has to be modded to fit the 302. Here is the skimmer you are suppose to have unless you upgraded:

$_35.JPG

if you didn't upgrade then it's great that you got the upgraded for free. I paid $30 for the upgrade.

Also, what kind of fish are you looking for: Schooling, colorful schooling, solo, mixed?

I see why it didn't fit. You have the 302 skimmer and not the 301. The 301 fits the 50G sump and the sump has to be modded to fit the 302. Here is the skimmer you are suppose to have unless you upgraded:

$_35.JPG

if you didn't upgrade then it's great that you got the upgraded for free. I paid $30 for the upgrade.

Also, what kind of fish are you looking for: Schooling, colorful schooling, solo, mixed?

I don't remember paying extra, but yeah I definitely have the 302. I think it comes with the 66 at no extra charge, but I could be wrong.

I don't really know what I am looking for anymore lol, I need suggestions. I did notice that my assessor is hiding a lot since adding the wrasse, and I am thinking a few more fish might keep the wrasse from focusing on the assessor. I would love a school of anthias, but the tank is a little small for that, not really feeling the blue green chromis, but thats my fallback. I will be adding a mandarin at some point down the road, but I want one that is already on prepared foods, so I will be holding out.

I don't remember paying extra, but yeah I definitely have the 302. I think it comes with the 66 at no extra charge, but I could be wrong.

I don't really know what I am looking for anymore lol, I need suggestions. I did notice that my assessor is hiding a lot since adding the wrasse, and I am thinking a few more fish might keep the wrasse from focusing on the assessor. I would love a school of anthias, but the tank is a little small for that, not really feeling the blue green chromis, but thats my fallback. I will be adding a mandarin at some point down the road, but I want one that is already on prepared foods, so I will be holding out.

Oh yeah that's right; you do have the 66g. It's stock with that. I am not sure what it is then, because when I had that size, mine fit well.

8954844781_049af6aa67_b.jpg

I had 18 anthias in my 66G. It all depends on your filtration. I was running Biopellets and feeding heavily.

I had:

(3) Lyretails

(2) Threadfin

(3) Ventralis

(2) bicolor

(2) Randalls

(2) Sunburst

(1) Ignitus

(3) Sunset

Yeah the sump thing is weird. You're making me rethink the anthias... I have a huge reactor that I won at a swap that's rated for 220 -1100 gallons, but it doesn't fit in my sump. Maybe I will find a way to modify it or the sump and get it in there.

Little update. I noticed a small acro crab on one of the newer frags and did some research in attempts to ID it and found a lot of mixed information, so I decided to let it be and monitor the situation. After nothing for 4 days, I went away for 5 days and of course the acro crab had done some damage. My green millie was gone, and my ssc had some damage as well. Then yesterday, I noticed my echinata and red dragon had some white tips. I had seen him on my biggest acro so I pulled it and found him, unfortunately I had no choice but to end his life (could have thrown him in the fuge and let him starve, but a quick death seemed more humane). He had large white/blue eyes and was hairy. Hopefully everything recovers quickly. Will post some pics of the damage.

Little update. I noticed a small acro crab on one of the newer frags and did some research in attempts to ID it and found a lot of mixed information, so I decided to let it be and monitor the situation. After nothing for 4 days, I went away for 5 days and of course the acro crab had done some damage. My green millie was gone, and my ssc had some damage as well. Then yesterday, I noticed my echinata and red dragon had some white tips. I had seen him on my biggest acro so I pulled it and found him, unfortunately I had no choice but to end his life (could have thrown him in the fuge and let him starve, but a quick death seemed more humane). He had large white/blue eyes and was hairy. Hopefully everything recovers quickly. Will post some pics of the damage.

If it was indeed an acro crab, it should of been beneficial to your acros. I love getting acros with true acros crabs, its definitely a bonus.

do you remember the colors of the crab?

From other threads and research, the crab I had was definitely an obligate coral eater and parasite, not a commensal or symbiotic crab. Gorilla crab may be a more common term for them, so maybe acro crab was not correct. I will post links and pics when I get a chance. The crab was a brownish color.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up 5 thread fin anthias and a RBTA last week. Will get some new pics up this weekend. Also, I just caught my halloween hermit red handed eating one of my milies. I am used to watching a hermit or mithrax crab crawl over an acro or other coral attempt to eat a polyp or two without success and move on. This hermit was sitting on the coral and scraping the flesh completely off of the acro. I was baffled. He is in the sump now. I am thinking that maybe it was the one doing the damage to the other corals at this point, and not the acro crab as I originally thought. He has been in the tank since day one so he really wan't a suspect, he is on sump duty now so that's that. Parameters are stable, but I have some diatoms, most likely from the new additions, so changed out the GFO and put in 2 extra table spoons, so now I am at the recommended amount. Colors on the echinata, red dragon and my green efflo are pretty bad atm, also PE in general not so great, so I will try to get things straightened out. Instinct tells me nutrient issue so hopefully the reactor takes care of some of the problem. I also installed my Aquamaxx HOB-1 on the tank since the SCA-302 is not skimming properly, it gets large bubbles and good foam, but just won't push up the neck into the cup. I have it at 7" and the flow on max, so I need to mess around with it and see what I can do.

Nice 66G!

Thanks!

So here are some pics. First of the damage I watched my halloween hermit incur on my millie. Really crappy pic, but you get the idea. I watched him move from one corallite to another, so I know positively it was doing the damage.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0459_zpse526f8c8.jpg.html'>DSC_0459_zpse526f8c8.jpg

Here are some pics of the new additions.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0488_zpsc4f9cc8c.jpg.html'>DSC_0488_zpsc4f9cc8c.jpg

RBTA settled in this spot. Had to move a few pieces it was touching, but no real damage. Hopefully it stays put.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0452_zps308731cc.jpg.html'>DSC_0452_zps308731cc.jpg

And some more pics. This birds nest has grown a bit in 2+ weeks from this

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_03431_zps152bacb8.jpg.html'>DSC_03431_zps152bacb8.jpg

to this (urchin is :ninja:)

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0465_zps2c0c3a36.jpg.html'>DSC_0465_zps2c0c3a36.jpg

I think the hermit had done some damage to this acro also. It had consistent color now only the bottom 2/3rds shows good color. Top seems much better since removing the hermit.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0458_zpsc95b5256.jpg.html'>DSC_0458_zpsc95b5256.jpg

zoas/Palys

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0476_zpsa4eda6a9.jpg.html'>DSC_0476_zpsa4eda6a9.jpg

Top down

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0483_zps4c8f9384.jpg.html'>DSC_0483_zps4c8f9384.jpg

FTS

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0484_zps9b117731.jpg.html'>DSC_0484_zps9b117731.jpg

Candycane. So photogeneic.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0454_zpsdfad80ed.jpg.html'>DSC_0454_zpsdfad80ed.jpg

This fish is so cool to watch. The color on him is amazing.

http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/carlpica/media/DSC_0492_zps174be4d5.jpg.html'>DSC_0492_zps174be4d5.jpg

I got a few things coming this week. Jebao RW-8 and an AI Hydra 52 (picking up in a trade), so I am excited to get those set up.

Anyway enjoy!

Every time I have tested the alk in this tank it is between 8.3 and 8.6, which I am very happy about, calcium has ben consistently lower at 340-380 though. I am now dosing unbalanced using ESV 2-part at 26ml alk and 30 calc per day. All acropora are looking good minus the echinata and my efflo. PE getting better too. Just need everything to grow!

I added the jebao rw-8. I have it on the lowest setting and I am still getting sand erosion around the base of the rocks, I have been fiddling with the placement of it and think I found a spot, I had to slightly change the position of my mp10 to collide with the flow. That jebao powerhead is stronger than I though it would be, and has a pretty wide flow pattern.

I had a trade lined up to trade an AI hydra 52 for this reactor I got, but it fell through since the reactor wouldn't fit in the guys sump. I am thinking about removing a baffle so I can install it in my sump. Would having the reactor in the return chamber cause any issues? I will most likely be running bio-pellets in it.

So I went away last weekend and came home to my Tang covered in ich. Set up a QT last night. Already lost 4 out of the 5 anthias in less than 2 days. Spent an hour last night and 3 hours tonight tearing my tank apart and still didn't catch the tang or mystery wrasse. Tang was running circles around me and the mystery wrasse just disappeared, I turned every rock over and couldn't find him. In the process I slightly tore my BTA's foot and to add insult to injury, I dropped a piece of rock on it. The anemone is moving so I think it may survive, I will keep a close eye on it. I damaged about half of my SPS moving rocks around Ill try and pick up pieces and glue to plugs. I am going to pull all the rock tomorrow if needed to catch the last 2 fish. I suppose this is a valuable lesson, like I have read and been told so many times, always quarantine. It seems like one of those things that you just have to go through yourself to realize it isn't worth the trouble taking the risk. What a pain in the ass. Hopefully it doesn't set the coral back too much.

I plan on doing a hypo salinity treatment, for a few reasons, mainly since the QT isn't cycled and I can use chemical filtration with hypo, as well as my skimmer. I plan on doing 30% WC every few days. I got some seachem prime and will have to start testing. I am going to the LFS to get some cupramine in case I change my mind and decide to go that route. Hopefully I catch the last 2 and get them into the QT without any more losses.

• 2 weeks later...

Tore the tank apart, put 75% of the rock in a bucket and caught the tang and mystery wrasse. The tang died that night, and the last anthias died as well, about a week after he was in QT, not really sure what happened there. I took some photos of the fish less display. All the corals are doing really well. SPS are coloring up and acro's are getting good PE.

SSC encrusting with nice green base that is making its way up the branches.

DSC_0368_zps70b4e125.jpg

This one is Jason Fox Purps Acro. Hard to capture all the colors, Purple, blue, and some green on the base and branches.

DSC_0369_zpsb5fc06b6.jpg

Echinata was pretty much all grey. Not the best picture, but it is now getting the green back. Got smashed in the melee while trying to catch fish.

DSC_0384_zpsf7edcb19.jpg

This one had good color when I bought it. It reminded me of Orange Passion a little. It is growing well. Now it is Grey with Brown polyps. I call it Poopy Passion.

DSC_03861_zps24e07ce4.jpg

Zoas Growing off their plugs nicely.

DSC_0388_zps47e9ff98.jpg

FTS

DSC_0422_zpsd51349cb.jpg

Sorry to hear about the fish. :( I know I have ich in my big tank so I suppose if anything goes wrong and the fish get stressed I could experience a killer outbreak as well. Tank looks great, I'll be following along.

Archived