Cultivated Reef

Here goes another 10 gallon NUVO Fusion...

davidncbrown

To start off with, my name is David and I have a drinking problem. Whoops, wrong forum! :blush:

But in all seriousness my girlfriend, Katie, and I used to post on here ages ago! We have had four different tanks since we've been dating (a 50 gallon truvu planted tank, 24 gallon nanocube, 8 gallon custom reef tank, and a 75 gallon reef tank). There has been a serious lack of time, effort, and money to put towards this hobby for the past couple years, but we're back!

The 75 gallon is still up and running, but it got a bit overwhelmed with algae and had to be re-plumbed badly... In the mean time, we are setting up a 10 gallon IM NUVO fusion in our apartment (the 75 gallon is currently setup as a FOWLR at my parent's house). We are starting from scratch (new sand, rock, and corals, fish, inverts).

I will custom make a stand that will hold:

5 gallon topoff jug

ATO

Dosing pump for two-part (scrapped from the 75 gallon which now has a calcium reactor)

For lighting I will use the LED light I made for Katie's custom 8 gallon tank (see my signature below).

I purchased an InTank basket for the first chamber, and a ghost skimmer for the second chamber

I also have a vortec mp10 that will go in the main display.

Stay tuned for more updates! Aquacave said it shipped on the 28th!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet! I just started mine last weekend and I love it. This little tank setup is really gaining popularity. Looking forward to pictures!

Nice! Your setup sounds very similar to mine. Feel free to stop by and compare notes :)

Thanks, and I already have :-)

Should be coming in the mail tomorrow! I'm going to try to build a stand for it this weekend and then hopefully next week we can get it set up and get some live rock cycling!

Should be coming in the mail tomorrow! I'm going to try to build a stand for it this weekend and then hopefully next week we can get it set up and get some live rock cycling!

Nice! Can't wait to see it!

reefernanoman

Ha another one! Welcome to the fusion 10g club! I was one of the early adopters and don't have an ounce of regret! Check out the fusion 10g club in the AIO forum. I'll be following.

Everything came in the mail today! Only a couple issues, but I have faith that IM will iron them out in the end.

20141204_160157_zpsd56f14f7.jpg

The side view of the tank after unboxing!

20141204_160142_zps93b8662b.jpg

Everything fits neatly in the back...

20141204_160053_zpsa2bb56a5.jpg

Too bad the stock media basket is so puny... Oh well I am ordering one from InTank ;-)

20141204_160122_zpsa6bd0bca.jpg

The skimmer looks well made...

20141204_161219_zpse29ce5ae.jpg

Too bad the impeller came broken and I had to call IM. They told me to call Aquacave, and Aquacave said they have no parts so they'll have to contact IM.... I'm already getting the run-around so hopefully it gets solved quickly!

20141204_161357_zpsf5c70d65.jpg

As long as I was snooping around I figured I would take the return pump apart and look at it. I spoke with IM regarding the metal shaft rather than the ceramic one and they said to talk to Aquacave too... So unfortunately I'm getting the run-around with that as well.

All that is left is to do is a leak test, make a stand this weekend, and get some sand and LR to begin cycling!

Sorry to see the broken impeller on the skimmer! Hope it gets fixed quickly. Mine arrived in good shape but is taking forever to break in...

There's a long thread here on NR about the IM skimmer line with concerns about noise and the metal vs. ceramic impeller. Here's the bottom line:

1. For best performance, the air inlet should only be turned on just enough to generate bubbles (mostly closed) after it breaks in. Otherwise you get too much skimmate and it's very noisy. It is reported to work great and quietly when the air inlet is properly adjusted.

2. Only the larger models come with the ceramic shaft. The desktop model comes with a metal shaft.

From your post, though, it looks like you were expecting a ceramic shaft on the return pump, is that right? I have to confess that I didn't pay any attention to the return pump since I'm planning to upgrade it if necessary.

Meh. I'm sorry to hear your problems with all your gear and them jerking you around.

They seem to be jerking me around too atm. I went to my LFS this weekend and had them order an IM 10 for me, he said he would try to call me Monday to let me know what date they told him it would arrive by, but he also mentioned that his supplier doesn't carry the tanks anymore and so he would have to order his tanks directly from IM which is apparently a PITA. I haven't heard back from him yet so I can only think that IM is not sending him any, or he forgot to order it, which is annoying in its own right, or something along those lines. I haven't had the chance to call him yet (they open and close while I am still at work) so I don't know whats going on. Needless to say that if I don't have a phone call about my tank soon (I saw him write down all my info dangit), I am not going to be buying my sand, test kits, fish food, live rock and cleaning supplies from them. If you write my info down and promise to call me, at least keep up your end of the bargain, you are a small business after all and your customers are your life and your word should be golden. Might have to just go to Petsmart and pick up a random 10 gallon instead. :scarry: I would order it from Marine Depot or something myself, but I have NEVER received even one tank from anyplace that got shipped to my door and actually survived the trip. That's why I was having them get it for me, I can check it out for defects before I buy it....le sigh. Sorry for the rant, it's been a hell of a day. :wacko:

BTW, is that included fish saver worth anything? I have a devil cat and I am hoping you will tell me it is strong enough to keep her out. B)

I ordered mine from Marine Depot and the packing was amazing. It came in a huge box with a ton of styrofoam peanuts surrounding the IM box, which is turn had tons of padding before I got to the actual tank. I filled three kitchen trash bags with the peanuts MD added to the big box.

Since I ordered the IM Desktop skimmer at the same time, the total was over $175 and it shipped free. It showed up at my door three days after I ordered it. I wouldn't hesitate to order another one the same way, but I definitely understand why you don't want to risk getting burned again.

Yea, it was like 4, maybe 5 tanks in a row? Plus, if I'm already there picking up the tank, its one less trip 20 miles to the LFS and I can pick everything else up at the same time too. ;) We shall see, I will call them when they open first thing Saturday and get an update. If no bueno there, hell. Maybe try marine depot (heck I have an account there for other stuff and everything else was cool, don't remember where I ordered the tanks from though). Its been a few years since I ordered one. Maybe I'll get lucky for once? Haha!

Meh. I'm sorry to hear your problems with all your gear and them jerking you around.

They seem to be jerking me around too atm. I went to my LFS this weekend and had them order an IM 10 for me, he said he would try to call me Monday to let me know what date they told him it would arrive by, but he also mentioned that his supplier doesn't carry the tanks anymore and so he would have to order his tanks directly from IM which is apparently a PITA. I haven't heard back from him yet so I can only think that IM is not sending him any, or he forgot to order it, which is annoying in its own right, or something along those lines. I haven't had the chance to call him yet (they open and close while I am still at work) so I don't know whats going on. Needless to say that if I don't have a phone call about my tank soon (I saw him write down all my info dangit), I am not going to be buying my sand, test kits, fish food, live rock and cleaning supplies from them. If you write my info down and promise to call me, at least keep up your end of the bargain, you are a small business after all and your customers are your life and your word should be golden. Might have to just go to Petsmart and pick up a random 10 gallon instead. :scarry: I would order it from Marine Depot or something myself, but I have NEVER received even one tank from anyplace that got shipped to my door and actually survived the trip. That's why I was having them get it for me, I can check it out for defects before I buy it....le sigh. Sorry for the rant, it's been a hell of a day. :wacko:

BTW, is that included fish saver worth anything? I have a devil cat and I am hoping you will tell me it is strong enough to keep her out. B)

That's rough with the LFS. I find a lot of small businesses lack in the customer service area. And regarding your bad luck with shipping, I would say that's a carrier problem, not a packaging problem. Marine depot has always over packed in my experience...

And the screen on top is pretty flimsy. It's like screen door metal framing with a heavy plastic mesh. I don't think it would keep a cat out because their claws would get caught in the mesh. Maybe make an acrylic lid that rests on the clips provided?

Sorry to see the broken impeller on the skimmer! Hope it gets fixed quickly. Mine arrived in good shape but is taking forever to break in...

There's a long thread here on NR about the IM skimmer line with concerns about noise and the metal vs. ceramic impeller. Here's the bottom line:

1. For best performance, the air inlet should only be turned on just enough to generate bubbles (mostly closed) after it breaks in. Otherwise you get too much skimmate and it's very noisy. It is reported to work great and quietly when the air inlet is properly adjusted.

2. Only the larger models come with the ceramic shaft. The desktop model comes with a metal shaft.

From your post, though, it looks like you were expecting a ceramic shaft on the return pump, is that right? I have to confess that I didn't pay any attention to the return pump since I'm planning to upgrade it if necessary.

The impeller is interesting... it looks more like a traditional impeller than a skimmer impeller. I think it needs more needles and less surface to move water. I had a skimmer once that used a mesh scrubby pad as the impeller that worked really well. Maybe that's why it produces too much skimmate?

And yes, I guess I was expecting a ceramic shaft on the return pump... I thought I had read somewhere that they retro fitted them with one, but that must have been the skimmer. Hell, maybe I'll get a ceramic shaft for both of them out of this! ;-)

I read in that long thread that somebody from IM said that the pump they use is really overpowered and it can cavitate, creating even more bubbles. So that's why the air venturi needs to be mostly closed. That kind of fits with what you point out about the impeller.

Good luck on the ceramic shaft :) Let us know what IM says.

I read in that long thread that somebody from IM said that the pump they use is really overpowered and it can cavitate, creating even more bubbles. So that's why the air venturi needs to be mostly closed. That kind of fits with what you point out about the impeller.

Good luck on the ceramic shaft :) Let us know what IM says.

I'm a winemaker and we use centrifugal pumps all the time in the wine industry. We are always wary of cavitation because it's hard on the impellers and the pump cavity (not to mention the wine!). If the pump is causing cavitation all the time then no wonder everyone says the skimmer can be loud... I might experiment with finding a different impeller or taking the dremel to the one I'm getting replaced. ;)

That's rough with the LFS. I find a lot of small businesses lack in the customer service area. And regarding your bad luck with shipping, I would say that's a carrier problem, not a packaging problem. Marine depot has always over packed in my experience... And the screen on top is pretty flimsy. It's like screen door metal framing with a heavy plastic mesh. I don't think it would keep a cat out because their claws would get caught in the mesh. Maybe make an acrylic lid that rests on the clips provided?

Hopefully got some good news on that front. I called him early today and he said they have the order set to arrive on Tuesday but he also has a guy coming in with a brand new still in the box one on Saturday; he is going to trade it in for some corals so as soon as he comes by, the store will call me and let me know and I can then pick that one up for <$100 and save on the shipping. Here's hoping the guy comes in and they can work a deal for it. :P

I am looking forward to it! :) I will go get the lumber for it next weekend and document the DIY portion of my stand setup. I will begin the official build thread a few weeks later when all my parts finish coming in so stay tuned! :)

Well I started building my stand yesterday. I had some plywood left over from when the roof was redone (yes plywood not OSB) so I decided to use it. It's 1/2", but if it can support people walking on it between joists then it should be good. I'm going to reinforce it on the top and add a shelf in the middle. I want to put our aquadoser pump we used to use on the 75gal in the stand with two part. Also an auto topoff. MP10 on the left side of the tank or right... I'll have to decide.

Meanwhile I am leak testing the tank and just cleaned everything good with vinegar! So far 45 mins and no problems!

Well I started building my stand yesterday. I had some plywood left over from when the roof was redone (yes plywood not OSB) so I decided to use it. It's 1/2", but if it can support people walking on it between joists then it should be good. I'm going to reinforce it on the top and add a shelf in the middle. I want to put our aquadoser pump we used to use on the 75gal in the stand with two part. Also an auto topoff. MP10 on the left side of the tank or right... I'll have to decide. Meanwhile I am leak testing the tank and just cleaned everything good with vinegar! So far 45 mins and no problems!

Sounds like its cooking right along! If you get the chance I would love to see some pictures of the completed stand. This will be my 3rd stand and they are slowly getting better but I will be the first to admit that I do not have any ability whatsoever to put things together. Hence mine will be very minimalistic, probably no sides, unpainted, let the quality and color of the wood speak for itself. ;)

Sounds like its cooking right along! If you get the chance I would love to see some pictures of the completed stand. This will be my 3rd stand and they are slowly getting better but I will be the first to admit that I do not have any ability whatsoever to put things together. Hence mine will be very minimalistic, probably no sides, unpainted, let the quality and color of the wood speak for itself. ;)

I won't have a chance until next weekend to work on it again, but I should be finishing it up and I'll take some pictures. Luckily this tank will be less that 100lbs once its filled up, so a super sturdy construction isn't needed. It's most important to have stability to sideways motion. The downward force of the tank bearing on three walls is actually not that much. I have cardboard boxes at work that I can sit on with them barely deforming... The sideways motion from leaning on the tank, bumping into it, earthquakes, kids, etc. is the most important when it comes to the tank easily toppling down. ;-)

It's been a couple hours now and still no leaks!

20141207_150209_zps30489533.jpg

Archived