Equipment:

PicO Aquariums SIII (18x18x9 AIO)

Nanobox Duo with V3 LED

Ecotech MP-10W with PicO shallow shield

Neptune Systems Apex Lite Controller

Tunze ATO

PicO Skim 2.0

Original Post:

After taking down my old JBJ nano cube 2 years ago when I moved, I have decided to get back into reefing. I am a huge fan of shallow cube tanks and after seeing some amazing tanks here on nano-reef using the PicO S III (jcusmarine, ninjamyst to name a few) I emailed Chris over at PicO Aquariums and ordered myself a PicO S III.

So lets get started....

The tank will be here in about 5 weeks but with all of the black friday/cyber monday sales coming up at the end of this week, I realized I really need to start making some equipment decisions!

Equipment List:

Tank: 18"x18"x9" PicO S III AIO

Skimmer: PicO Skim 2.0

Light: Nanobox Duo w/ Storm and moonlights

Flow: MP-10w

Controller: Apex Lite

ATO: Tunze Osmolator

Heater: Jager 50

Sand: Carib Sea Fiji Pink

Anticipated Stocking List:

Corals:

• Lots of Ricordia

• Lots of Zoanthids

• Frogspawn

• Torch

• Various Montipora (digitata, peitiformis, capricornis)

• Bird's Nest

Fish:

• One or two picasso clown's

• Cryptic Wrasse

• ?? in the future

Invert's:

• Sexy shrimp

• Pom Pom Crab

• Maxi-mini

• all snail CUC

I will be keeping this thread updated during the build period with my equipment decisions and looking for advice as well. I'll leave you with the future location of the tank. Sucks that the table is glass-top, it would have been the perfect size for the stand. 15250538344_a44438b93f.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next big decision I need to make is the lighting and with the sales coming up this weekend it is making it even tougher.

Lighting options:

(all prices are upcoming sale prices)

• Nanobox Duo: 90W in 2 clusters, wired storm controller. $450 with hanging kit
  • Radion XR15w Pro: 85W in one cluster, wired computer link. $428 with hanging kit
  • AI Hydra 26: 95W in 2 clusters, wired computer link. $360 with hanging kit.
  • AI Prime: 45W in 1 cluster, wifi standard. $200 without mounting kit

Priorities (in order of importance):

1. Quality of light output (how good will my tank look under this light/will corals respond well)
  2. Price
  3. Ease of user interface
  4. Customer service/warranty support
  5. Scalibility to larger tank
  6. Integration with Apex
  7. Physical aesthetics/customization (all look good to me)

Any advice, experiences, recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Just picked up a few items over at BRS including the Tunze Osmolator which they had on sale for $146!

I was planning to make a diy ATO for my apex but after buying the pump, 2 float switches, mounting brakets and breakout box I was already at $95.

$50 bucks extra for a proven plug and play system with the optical eye sensor was a no-brainer for me.

I have an XR15w Pro and it's awesome. That said, I really love the look of the NanoBox Duo. It's so clean.

Yeah that light is awesome, I am strongly considering it although I am leaning towards the duo.

I was just checking out your thread and I thought I noticed the different LED colors being visible on the rock and on the sand in a few of your photos. How is the color blending on the XR15?

Since the S III is only 9" deep, color blending is very imporatant to me.

Yeah, I actually noticed that in pictures from other people that have this light. I don't see the individual colors when I'm looking at the tank, just in photos. I think it's a combination of the surface agitation and the still image that makes the colors visible. It's also strange because it doesn't show up in all of the pictures.

I have the exact same tank and similar equipment (mp10, pico skimmer). Can't wait to see this tank up and running!

I have a NanoBox Duo over my PicO 20G and I could not possibly be happier about it. Just saying - it's worth the money.

Nano Box :D

-Dave

Ok... you all convinced me. NanoBox Duo is ordered. :D

Still haven't decided on color yet though. So many options... this is gonna be tough. I really like a navy/grey one I saw though.

Quick Update:

I got my old dead rock out of storage and started getting it prepped for this tank. I haven't decided which rocks I'm going to use so I'm just going to get all of it ready. Yesterday I scrubbed and rinsed it really well and then put it in a muriatic acid bath for about 30 minutes to make sure it is totally clean. Currently it's soaking in a tub of fresh water until the PH gets back to normal.

Once the acid is out of the rock I am going to throw all of it in a rubbermaid tub with saltwater, a heater and a pump and then add Dr. Tim's one and only and some ammonia to get the bacteria population going. Hopefully this will reduce my cycle time once the tank gets here. I am also going add one or two select pieces of live rock to help the cycle once the tank arrives.

I also came home to a box from BRS today :)

15307419553_9da493bb1e_c.jpg

10 lbs Carib Sea Fiji Pink (hopefully this will be enough)

Jager 50W Heater

Red Sea Coral Pro

Tunze Osmolator 3155

15958869591_30d734b123_o.png

Getting closer!!

I really need to figure out what I am going to do about a stand. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a stand for an 18x18 aquarium for a decent price.

Any suggestions?

Build your own. Pretty easy and plenty of how to vids on youtube. Sketch out the dimensions you want, do a lil math to figure your cut lengths, when you buy your wood, have them cut it for you. Pretty much all you need to complete a simple stand then would be glue, drill and screws

Build your own. Pretty easy and plenty of how to vids on youtube. Sketch out the dimensions you want, do a lil math to figure your cut lengths, when you buy your wood, have them cut it for you. Pretty much all you need to complete a simple stand then would be glue, drill and screws

I have considered that. Will home depot cut to order?

My local lumber yard that sells higher quality wood is more geared towards pros and the guys usually give you a hard time if you want them to make more than one or two cuts.

One thing I am considering is to make a "cap" out of 3/4 inch plywood and some trim that would go over my existing table. The table is 20x26 and is actually very sturdy, however it has that 13x20 glass panel in the middle. If covered the whole top with a piece of 3/4" plywood, it should distribute the weight over all of the wood edges and provide a stable support.

15250538344_a44438b93f.jpg

Went to Home Depot today and had them cut to size some 3/4" birch plywood to cover the top of the table. I also picked up some trim to cover the exposed edge and the original table top underneath. I gave it the ultimate test by standing on top of it and trying to shake it... totally solid.

Here's a pic of the plywood with trim. Sorry for the weird angle, I was holding up the trim and taking a picture at the same time. I still need to glue it up and stain it to match the existing wood.

15936747796_2184a62fe5.jpg

Not bad at all, that is one nice looking top! Hey, if it can hold you up it can hold the fish tank size you got. :)

Thanks, I was a little nervous when I climbed up there, but when it didn't even creak I knew I was good to go.

Came out pretty good, are you going to stain or paint?

I'm going to stain it and then put a thin coat of epifanes spar varnish on it to make it waterproof. Hopefully the stain will make it match the existing table close enough.

Just heard from Chris over at PicO and Dave at Nanobox that both my light AND tank are supposed to ship out next monday!

Now I've got some work to do to get ready...

Last night I gave the rock that had the acid wash a final rinse and scrub. I cleaned more rock than I need so I have some options when I start setting up the tank.

15784845610_1defa42c15_c.jpg

After rinsing, I mixed up a batch of salt water in a 5 gallon bucket and put in the rock with a heater, a powerhead, a few drops of ammonium chloride and a cap full of Dr. Tim's One & Only to get the cycle going.

15358053364_ab3df7def3_c.jpg

I still need to stain and varnish the plywood cap and build the light rack.

Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to stain and varnish this thing without stinking up the whole place...

Tank arrived today....unfortunately the right side and back were cracked and one of the corners was totally smashed. Pretty pissed right now...

15426443753_f736ac97b7_b.jpg

16020320106_c086eedc53_b.jpg

:rant::tears::scarry:*cries* Noooooooooo!!! :angry::unsure::wacko:

We shall get through this, send them pics so they can see it. Was it a bad box-job pre-shipping or you think your UPS guy kicked it across the lawn to your front door?

Archived