Coral Vue Hydros

Newtybar's Nuvo 24 Nano - Bye Bye Tank - CRACKED.

Newtybar

Welp, it was a fun ride all. The tank took a turn for the worse today and cracked. Needless to say water was gushing out and went everywhere. I do feel fortunate in that I was nearby and could rush over to mitigate some damage. I am concerned about my livestock though.

med_gallery_86188_3_111966.jpg

gallery_86188_3_136391.jpg

Hi All,

I'm starting the journey into saltwater and thought I'd start a post to share it with everyone and possibly get some insight from experienced members along the way.

I've always liked fish, but it was the industrial design of the new tanks that drew me in. Prior to this I've been keeping a small planted freshwater tank (Fluval Edge 6g) which I bought because I thought it looked cool...superficial, I know.

Somehow my coworker convinced me to jump into saltwater and I really liked the Nuvo 24. I've done some research and it looks like keeping a nano reef will be a difficult task, but I'm up for it. Hope

Thus far, I've only purchased:

• Innovative Marine Nano 24 Tank
  • Current USA Orbit Marine LED Aquarium Light
  • IM Spinstream nozzle for more natural flow (avoiding MP10 due to hearing stories about it cracking the tank)
  • Dry Rock from Marco Rocks
  • Cedar Wood Stand (Built it Myself)

Current stocking (as of 2014.12.10):

• Fish & Inverts
    • False Percula Clown
    • Tiny Cowfish
    • Tiny Blue Hippo Tang
    • 3 x Blue Eyed Cardinalfish
    • Fire Shrimp
    • Fighting Conch
  • Coral
    • Green Star Polyp Frag
    • Torch Coral Frag
    • Blue Gorgonia Frag
    • Rasta Zoa
    • Some Purple Zoa
    • Purple Monticap
    • Bam Bam Zoas

Tank as of

gallery_86188_2_98517.jpg

gallery_86188_2_47664.jpg

Original Rock Scape:

gallery_86188_2_322280.jpg

Edited to include images

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Polarcollision

Nice to see another Nuvo 24 build - welcome to NR! :welcome:

I was worried about mine and it finally happened. I would recommend not using the acrylic base for sure.

Did Innovative Marine suggest not to use the base when they were replacing your tank? Mine hasn't cracked yet but it's on the base...

Polarcollision

No Im didn't mention the base , Mine cracked even though I was not using it , The LFS tanks cracked on the base . The base just seems weak to me ,

I called IM to get their feedback for things to do to minimize the tank cracking. They said the three most common causes of failure are an unlevel base so that pressure is not dispersed evenly. They said the forces are dispersed well via the pedestal as long as the stand is stable. My water level is a little less than 1/8" higher in front than back, which even though it's slight should be corrected.

The other is installing echotech's MP10 (or larger) since the vibrations weaken the glass over time.

And the last (obvious) was to make sure the stand is stable enough that if you climbed on it and jumped it would be just fine.

They also said that they have less than 1% failure rate and that they usually happen 2-3 months into setup. That's actually not as dire a rate as it seems from reports on the boards.

Hope that helps put your mind at ease

Thanks Polar!

I still think that 1% failure rate number is low, considering it seems about 30 percent on this board.

Also, they wouldn't have upgraded the glass had they truly believed that.

Polarcollision

Thanks Polar!

I still think that 1% failure rate number is low, considering it seems about 30 percent on this board.

Also, they wouldn't have upgraded the glass had they truly believed that.

Yeah, that thin glass was definitely a problem and the 1% includes those tanks, which makes me feel a lot better about ours. They stopped making curved glass tanks all together. Guess a 1% failure rate is too much for the company.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good so far - I had a Nuvo 24 as my first reef tank as well. It's a good tank, but like any shallow tank it can be difficult to get different lighting zones for different types of corals. Good luck!

Thanks guys, hopefully in time my tank can be as cool as yours.

@Sk8n Reefer - it actually comes with a glass top which I am using.

@jedimasterben - I heard that AFTER I bought it. Guy at store said it was moderately easy to keep. I've actually found a new fish store and will likely not go back. At least I got it for cheap at $20.

Thanks guys, hopefully in time my tank can be as cool as yours.

@Sk8n Reefer - it actually comes with a glass top which I am using.

@jedimasterben - I heard that AFTER I bought it. Guy at store said it was moderately easy to keep. I've actually found a new fish store and will likely not go back. At least I got it for cheap at $20.

Cool- you might want to consider the screen top eventually - cheap upgrade and allows for better air exchange. My glass top on my Nuvo16 was a nightmare with fogging up- might not be an issue with your tank though

Your tank looks really good. I started my tank around the same time and I'm pretty jealous of how clear your water is. I have bright green algae all over my rocks at this point and had a pretty solid diatom bloom prior to this stage. I'm interested to follow along and see how this one progresses. Your scape is also really nice. You clearly had a better vision than I did when I fell into this hobby last month.

Thanks laserbrn, I hope yours turns out fine. Do you have a members tank log?

I think to this point it's all been a learning process to me. I've done a few things wrong like buy that blueberry gorgonian because it looks so darn cool. It's still trucking along though and I have to baby that thing and target feed it daily.

I'm getting a bit of bright green algae too...looks like mint toothpaste.

Archived