Cultivated Reef

tibbsy07 IM10

tibbsy07

New job is going really well - but things have been CRAZY hectic around here. They also had this site blocked for a while. Baby on the way, trying to find a place to live, buying another car so we can get around Atlanta without problem, grandparents getting older and in and out of hospitals... I've been trying to sell my stuff and I've gotten some great people here who are interested in lots of stuff...

I was speaking to my bosses the other day here in my little cubicle. I mentioned that I used to keep aquariums and my bosses said I should put a small one in here! So I've not only been given permission to have a pico, but TOLD to! We are in the middle of moving cubicles and such, so I won't do anything yet. But I've basically told myself that anything of my equipment that isn't sold by the time I move cubicles is fair game to use for a new set up. Depending on what I have left when it's all said and done, I'll set up one if it's not too expensive. I work near 2 great stores, one of which I check out frequently at lunch to get my tank fix. They even sell dwarf cuttlefish. It's called Premier Aquatics (premieraquatics.net).

Fingers crossed that I'm back in the (pico) game. No AIOs this time. NEVER AGAIN. I'll likely go with a JBJ 3g picotope set up. I've always loved those tanks and the stuff I have (if it doesn't sell) would work perfectly.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Tibbs!

I hope you can get another pico up and going when you get settled at work, that would be awesome!

I agree with the AIO, I took my 10g home a few months back and transferred everything to 1 tank, with a sump, lol.

Congrats on the baby!

Hope to see a new tank thread someday :-)

Hey Tibbs!

I hope you can get another pico up and going when you get settled at work, that would be awesome!

I agree with the AIO, I took my 10g home a few months back and transferred everything to 1 tank, with a sump, lol.

Congrats on the baby!

Hope to see a new tank thread someday :-)

Congrats, good to hear a baby is on the way. Hopefully you can set up an office tank.

thanks! I've got to find some other local stores. I think there is one really near where I am currently staying, so that's nice. I may check it out later today after work.

2 tank options right now - 4g DB rimless cube or a 3g JBJ picotope.

I'm also thinking that due to space limitations of my cubicle and the size of the tank, I might give CP blue a try rather than trying to mess with bulk media and the messiness of it all. The little 5g CPBlue packs would give me a decent couple of months in a ric/zoa tank with filter floss.

CadLights all the way! I can't wait to get mine going.

I will never ever buy a CADLights tank. Way too many issues with customer service. Maybe one of their skimmers some day, but never one of their tanks. The stories I've seen on here and on other sites have completely turned me off from buying their tanks.

I agree, CADs customer service is sub-par, but they do have some beautiful rimless tanks. They have a nice line of sizes on their little tanks as well.

But..........there are a lot of nice tanks out there with much better CS. Even a Mr Aqua rimless tank would be a nice option.

I agree, CADs customer service is sub-par, but they do have some beautiful rimless tanks. They have a nice line of sizes on their little tanks as well.

But..........there are a lot of nice tanks out there with much better CS. Even a Mr Aqua rimless tank would be a nice option.

I just saw that they have actual tanks listed in their Zen lineup and that would cost me the same as the JBJ 3g picotope and it comes with a lid... Dammit.

haven't been able to find a Mr Aqua tank less than 5 gallons lately.

I will never ever buy a CADLights tank. Way too many issues with customer service. Maybe one of their skimmers some day, but never one of their tanks. The stories I've seen on here and on other sites have completely turned me off from buying their tanks.

While I love the design and look of this tank... I'll have to say when I did call the customer service was sub par :( They even forgot my LED light that I STILL haven't seen... now that I remember it I have to call them and figure that out

I just saw that they have actual tanks listed in their Zen lineup and that would cost me the same as the JBJ 3g picotope and it comes with a lid... Dammit.

haven't been able to find a Mr Aqua tank less than 5 gallons lately.

If it helps, I did recently buy my tank from CAD, and all was well. They were definitely slow on the CS side, but as far as shipping, delivery, etc, it all went flawlessly, and the tank is beautiful. Packaged nicely and no damage from transport...........

If it helps, I did recently buy my tank from CAD, and all was well. They were definitely slow on the CS side, but as far as shipping, delivery, etc, it all went flawlessly, and the tank is beautiful. Packaged nicely and no damage from transport...........

Maybe their 3g at only 5lbs shipping will work out then. We'll see. If I can find a nice tank locally that is small, I'll probably go that route. It has to be rimless, though so.

Curious, why the hate for AIO. I cant think of an easier option. Now using one for a while it is so darn simple!

I like them in theory - having the equipment hidden and all that, but I always feel like I am limited by the rear chambers and throwing off the dimensions. I love the look of the AIOs but cleaning them is a problem for me.

Welcome back! Congratulations on the baby, and that's great news the you have such good support for having a tank in your office.

I really get what your saying about the AIO's, both my 4g and 10g are a pain to keep clean in the back chambers. I've figure out how to make it work, but I always dread cleaning out the back. So it hardly ever gets done. :rolleyes: I do wonder if the bigger AIO's, which have bigger back chambers, are easier to deal with, though.

Welcome back! Congratulations on the baby, and that's great news the you have such good support for having a tank in your office.

I really get what your saying about the AIO's, both my 4g and 10g are a pain to keep clean in the back chambers. I've figure out how to make it work, but I always dread cleaning out the back. So it hardly ever gets done. :rolleyes: I do wonder if the bigger AIO's, which have bigger back chambers, are easier to deal with, though.

If I wasn't going to be in an office setting then an AIO might work better, but I think that trying to take care of the AIO will be more difficult in the long run in terms of cleaning and maintenance with parts than a non-AIO.

Went to a couple of LFSes lately. The one near my office sells some great stuff (place with the cuttlefish) but the other store is closer to where Im currently living is one of the best stores I've been to. It is called The Fish Store. Lots of cool stuff.

55lb bumblebee grouper:
ojX5hQA.jpg

They have a breeding pair of dwarf nurse sharks:

elNUP97.jpg

a newly hatched leopard shark, the parent and a egg that is almost ready to hatch. They have a $10,000 rare trigger fish, tons of equipment, really healthy coral and the people who work there are all biology/chemistry students of some kind. They have good prices and some cool inverts, like this sea apple (I think that was what they had it labeled as):

VQvjfLz.jpg

Apprently there is an even better store a bit up the road called Pure Reef, so I am going to check that out this weekend, I think.

I think this is a really awesome looking desktop aquarium. It is a little on the pricey side but if I was doing a small under 10g setup I think I would use this aquarium. Welcome back BTW, glad to see you weren't gone for too long.

http://zeroedgeaquarium.com/product/aqua-u-by-zeroedge/

Thanks - though without a tank I'm not technically back.

The tank is that link is nice but too $$$ for what I'm doing. Awesome idea though. Id love to see a pico in one of those

The JBJs look really nice. I might be able to get away with the 6g here (under 5 is what they told me), but it might be a bit long for my CC Par30 to ensure proper lighting. They do look nice, though.

I ditched my CadLights tank after that catastrophic failure. I love Deep Blue tanks, so much so that I have 4 of them, lol.

I really do like Deep Blue - my 5.5g was a deep blue. We'll see what I end up with. I've got time as I promised myself and my wife that I wouldn't move ahead (planning isn't moving ahead right? ;) ) until after they moved my cubicle and that if stuff hadn't sold by then, then I would use stuff then.

I even considered using the 10g IM I have if that doesn't end up selling. It's under 10g... and I have everything for it already. And with it being cube shaped it's hard to tell how much water is in it. I worry I will end up disliking the AIO again, though, and because I have limited space, maintenance will be a bit more tedious and hectic.

Glad the job is working out Tibbs...hope it is all that you wanted it to be.

Have fun with the tank...struggling right now as I am still under weight restrictions from my back surgery. Both tanks are a mess really.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 IM10

Archived