Coral Vue Hydros

The Bestiarium

Dryland

FTS 7/23/15

19325132164_a3d1d84d61_c.jpgIMG_0123 by dryland970, on Flickr

------------------

(initial post)

Hey everybody!

I just bought a Cadlights 8G Mini-II AIO aquarium/stand combo to replace the 10-gallon tank I've had running for a year. I am going to be doing a softy/LPS tank. I have a coral compulsion par30 bulb that I am going to use instead of the stock light. The lamp comes with 60 degree optics, but I am tempted to try out 90 degree lenses to get a more diffused pattern. The tank should arrive later this week. Buckle up.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the transfer is complete, photos are inbound as soon as I figure out how to post bigger ones on the thread.

I have an auto aqua smart ATO which requires a transparent wall adjacent to a chamber that has fluctuating water height. The cad's rear chamber is black all the way around. I suppose I could scrape a portion of the paint away from the back wall, but I would rather just save up for a different ATO. Any suggestions for an ATO that will work with this tank?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome I also have the same tank. I use a Tunze Nano as well for ATO. Check out my thread on modifications I have done (Which are really none) Or if you want you can easily cut and peel off the black on the back. Its pretty easy.

Coming soon...

Also, how do I make the photos on my thread larger?

Try using a hosting site like Flickr or photo bucket that will allow larger photos.

So, the transfer is complete, photos are inbound as soon as I figure out how to post bigger ones on the thread.

If you use flckr you just pick the bigger size to share.

I've been pretty busy with school so I haven't had a lot of time to obsess over my reef. I installed the cadlights reactor last night, filled with carbon. I like the cadlights stuff a lot, but they can be a little funny to deal with on the CS end of things... I have upped my dosage of acropower to just under 1ml/day. I dose the korallen zucht nano-pack every 2 days. I think previously I had been using too little acropower to get the noticeable results everyone goes on about, but now that I've upped the dosage things are visibly responding and recovering from the shock of the transfer. I'm going to setup a flickr account and get some photos uploaded this weekend.

I'm interested to hear from others as to what/how much they dose in their tanks (sub-20 gallon preferably).

Anything you'd do differently to the tank? Mine will be here soon.

One issue I have found is the return pump blowing sand. This is why I installed the hydor deflector. Once the deflector was added, the flow dropped in the tank to an undesirable level, hence the addition of the powerhead. If you can find a way to run the return without a deflector and without blowing sand that would be an improvement. Bare bottom maybe?

What about using a spin stream versus the hydor? What powerhead did you add or did I miss it?

I have a koralia nano in the tank now. As for the spin stream I can't say, I've never owned one -it looks pretty cool though. If you get one let me know how it works out for you.

I went backpacking this weekend and when I got home this was waiting:

15139093949_9d186e94e0_b.jpgIMG_2661 by dryland970, on Flickr

15325529962_5b36512958_b.jpgIMG_2659 by dryland970, on Flickr

15325526662_dc55f46471_b.jpgIMG_2662 by dryland970, on Flickr

15325528202_ae97e55955_b.jpgIMG_2663 by dryland970, on Flickr

15139126050_540ab176b7_b.jpgIMG_2652 by dryland970, on Flickr

Corals are looking good and healthy! I have 2 spin streams on my Nuvo 16 and love them. I get great water movement without having to place a power head in the tank. I did upgrade my return pump though.

So after no word from the company I ordered the nems from ("fin-addict aquatic collections") and after calling them five days in a row I opened a dispute through paypal and was refunded. I haven't received one word from the company issuing the refund. So now I have some coral money burning a hole in my pocket. Any suggestions? It seems that rockflowers are en mode right now, and while I do love them, I may want to wait for the trend to die back first. Maybe I'll get a nice piece of LPS instead?

Archived