inTank Media Baskets

Clownmates help, stocking ideas

drfu

I have a new IM Micro 30 AIO tank that is cycling. I plan to move my pair of o clowns & hifin goby/pistol shrimp into it and am thinking of either ore or two more fish.

My clowns stay up top, goby @ the bottom so I'm thinking something mid tank that stays out vs hiding. would like something that is blue, red, purple as i have orange & yellow already. I would also like it to be something that stays out & in the middle. Must be reef safe, non aggressive to my clowns or goby/shrimp. I already have a royal gramma in another tank so i don't want another one.

Does anyone have an opinion on a green mandarin dragonet or a blue sapphire damsel? Would they fit in my tank and be happy with everyone else?

Thanks for all input

Fire fish: red, purple, or pink (Helfrichi).

In your experience do they stay out or hide in the rock, also are they jumpers as i don't have a screen for mu new tank yet?

In your experience do they stay out or hide in the rock, also are they jumpers as i don't have a screen for mu new tank yet?

Once they get used to their new environment you can find them out and about, it may take a day or so. As for jumping, I don't know, not like a jawfish that's for sure. I had a purple one go through 3 tanks my first 10 gal, second 60 gal, and was in my 90 (It just recently died). The have a tendency to stay towards the bottom of the tank and not venture to the top.

I've had a red firefish in a lid-less shallow cube (12" ht.) for almost 2 years, never jumped out. They tend to be skittish at first but will eventually be out more once they get used to the new environment. Mine liked to make shallow burrows in the sand to sleep in at night.

Firefish are beautiful, docile and highly recommended. However, keeping them without a lid is a risk. I believe that once they are acclimated your chances of them jumping out is reduced drastically.

I also like the tail spot Blenny. Is a mid level swimmer and will perch in and out of your rock work. It has a very fun personality and will watch you when observing the tank. It has dark red coloration and is safe with the fish you listed. Pretty hardy as well.

For blue, I would go with a Neon Blue Goby. Stays small and adds an electric blue to the aquarium.

I like the green Maderine but just make sure you have a good supply of pods in your aquarium till your able to possibly train on mysis or brine.

Damsels are too aggressive for my taste and get nastier with age. They can also grow rather large so I would stay away from them.

A fun hard to find but easy fish to keep is the blue stripped pipefish. It will eat pods, but most take mysis and brine and are strong swimmers. Something to look into. Keep us posted as to what you decide.

Egginis, thanks for the info & detail, really helps!

That's what we are here for. I have all the fish in question and hands on experience with them. I am curious as to what you will decide to do. Looking forward to future updates and good luck.

Well i think it comes down to the following choices in order from first to last:

1) Blue Reef Chromis

2) Firefish, not sure which one as of yet

3) Cardinal Bangai

4) 6 Line Wrasse

5) Tailspot Blennie

Now the big question is if i get a skimmer, which im sure im gonna when i figure out which one, is how many more fish? Having 3 already im thinking of the first 3 but am open to reccomendations/sugestions!

I like the first 2 choices and your fifth choice. The issue with the cardinal fish is that it probably will only eat mysis and brine. Forget it eating flake or pellets if this was something you were planning to do. As it becomes larger it can also eat ornamental shrimp. If your planning on keeping these reef animals than forget the cardinal. Although the 6 line has great colors and is a very active swimmer, it can be aggressive toward other fish. Every one I owned harassed the smaller more docile fish in my aquarium. It has some benefits such as eating flatworms and pests in the aquarium, but you might run into issues especially with other wrasses or the firefish. If it does pick on the firefish, you may never see it. The tailspot Blenny is one of my favorite, most personable, and comical fish. I do not think you will be disappointed with it. It's hardy, colorful under the right lighting and fun to watch. It also excepts almost all foods you place in the aquarium. Just my thoughts and opinions. In the end you just need to be happy with your purchase.

What do you think my max # of fish should be, could i do all three; the blue reef chromis, firefish & blennie & have 6 total? Like all of these, i think they would add color & character to my tank!

What do you think my max # of fish should be, could i do all three; the blue reef chromis, firefish & blennie & have 6 total? Like all of these, i think they would add color & character to my tank!

I really like when chromis and firefish are in at least a pair. But thats just my opinion. I think 6 fish should be okay in the 30.

I really like when chromis and firefish are in at least a pair. But thats just my opinion. I think 6 fish should be okay in the 30.
So you are saying two Chromis & two firefish on top of the three i already have? Is that just to keep them happy having them together?

I had a Blue Reef Chromis. Great fish! It swam at the top of my tank all day. My female Clown use to bully it a little though.
I am learning once my juvi o clowns grow up they could be the aggressors in the tank! Is your chromis doing okay?

So you are saying two Chromis & two firefish on top of the three i already have? Is that just to keep them happy having them together?

I am learning once my juvi o clowns grow up they could be the aggressors in the tank! Is your chromis doing okay?

Yeah thats what I would do. The fire fish and chromis are peaceful, clownfish are damsels (aka shit disturbers) so be careful when introducing the new comers. Another suggestion to look into is the Six Line Wrasse. Really wicked fish.

• 2 months later...

Well after two months i finally purchased some fish last week, with what was available locally i purchased a blue reef chromis, looks awesome and is out and about all the time. I also picked up 3 Bangaii cardnilfish, the reason i went for 3 is the store had two hard of a time sexing me a pair so i figure if i get three the odds of getting at least one of them to be a male or female should happen. I will take the one that swims solo out after they pair off.

So far i think i have a pair of Bangaii's but will wait a week or two before moving one to another tank. The chrommis is doing great & the strange think is my pair of o clowns who just wanted to hang out in the corner now swim around everywhere so i'm very happy with how this turned out.

The only bad thing is my HiFin Goby, who has always been skittish and likes to hide quite a bit now is totally freaked out with all the new livestock, may just take him a while to come back out.

Thanks to all of you for your input and advice, now have 7 fish in a 30 gallon, will be reduced by one soon. I have added a Tunze skimmer & TLF GFO media reactor so im hoping my bioload will stay under control.

!

I like the first 2 choices and your fifth choice. The issue with the cardinal fish is that it probably will only eat mysis and brine. Forget it eating flake or pellets if this was something you were planning to do. As it becomes larger it can also eat ornamental shrimp. If your planning on keeping these reef animals than forget the cardinal. Although the 6 line has great colors and is a very active swimmer, it can be aggressive toward other fish. Every one I owned harassed the smaller more docile fish in my aquarium. It has some benefits such as eating flatworms and pests in the aquarium, but you might run into issues especially with other wrasses or the firefish. If it does pick on the firefish, you may never see it. The tailspot Blenny is one of my favorite, most personable, and comical fish. I do not think you will be disappointed with it. It's hardy, colorful under the right lighting and fun to watch. It also excepts almost all foods you place in the aquarium. Just my thoughts and opinions. In the end you just need to be happy with your purchase.

Archived