Top Shelf Aquatics

B's 65 Gallons of Doom

jbb

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Wait wait wait, you have three holes drilled and you're using two of them for returns? That's backwards. One should be a full-siphon drain tuned to the return pump's flow and the second drain is the backup and should have a trickle of water going down it, with a Durso or Hofer or whatever you choose.

Wait wait wait, you have three holes drilled and you're using two of them for returns? That's backwards.

That's how DSA makes their tanks . 1x 1" drain / 2x 3/4" return

jedimasterben

That's how DSA makes their tanks . 1x 1" drain / 2x 3/4" return

What the ####. They should know that is backwards.

What the ####. They should know that is backwards.

All of their tanks are made this way unless its custom .

I guess you could plumb it backwards and run the 3/4" lines as dual drains...

jedimasterben

All of their tanks are made this way unless its custom .

I guess you could plumb it backwards and run the 3/4" lines as dual drains...

Run one of the 3/4" as full-siphon, the 1" as the backup, and then the remaining 3/4" for return. You'll be much happier in the end.

Run one of the 3/4" as full-siphon, the 1" as the backup, and then the remaining 3/4" for return. You'll be much happier in the end.

Everything is already glued in place :mellow:

jedimasterben

I said the same thing about mine and put it off for almost a year. Kick myself every day for not doing it right the first time.

I said the same thing about mine and put it off for almost a year. Kick myself every day for not doing it right the first time.

Learn me the improvements / benefits

jedimasterben

Not always

look at Rogers tank, same configuration

Doesn't mean it's best or optimal. I don't really buy the 'you gotta have at least one backup drain in case one is clogged' bullshit as it should never realistically happen, but having the drain be 100% completely and perfectly silent makes all the difference to me.

Archived