Coral Vue Hydros

$20 ABI 12w PAR38 LED

defective_weeble

defective_weeble

Picked up this $20 PAR38 from Amazon the other day because I needed something over my 2 gallon pico. Got it mounted today and I have to say that I'm not unhappy with it. It's a bit more blue than I'd like (though nowhere near as blue as the photos would lead you to believe) but the corals seem to love it.

QBx09qz.jpg

2JEJ7br.jpg

JniIZqo.jpg

U0ocE2x.jpg

UEWj0nj.jpg

It is inexpensive and will probably grow coral, but the color rendition (i.e. what it looks like to us) will not be great with a mix of RB and 15000K whites - it will "wash out" most colors (florescent green will look good though), and it would be nice to know what individual diode lenses they are using.

You probably should also modify that lamp (or use a different one) - even though most of the Par fixture's heatsink seems to be free of the lamp shroud and it is only running at twelve watts, Par fixtures tend to run best when completely open to the air for proper cooling - if not, it tends to fry their internal drivers which are in the neck region (the area here not open to the cooling air)...

defective_weeble

It is inexpensive and will probably grow coral, but the color rendition (i.e. what it looks like to us) will not be great with a mix of RB and 15000K whites - it will "wash out" most colors (florescent green will look good though), and it would be nice to know what individual diode lenses they are using.

You probably should also modify that lamp (or use a different one) - even though most of the Par fixture's heatsink seems to be free of the lamp shroud and it is only running at twelve watts, Par fixtures tend to run best when completely open to the air for proper cooling - if not, it tends to fry their internal drivers which are in the neck region (the area here not open to the cooling air)...

Awesome feedback, and greatly appreciated.

The colors actually look much better than they do in these pictures. It's not anywhere near as blue, though it's still more blue than I'd like. This was a stopgap measure while I find something more appropriate, but I'm still not decided as to exactly what that will be.

I'll definitely see if I can remove the "shade" to give more ventilation to the light.

Thanks!

I also just ordered on of these, it should be here tomorrow. When I get it I'll piggy back on your thread and add my thoughts if that's cool.

• 1 month later...
MadReefer13

These lights work good I have over my new tank and a buddy has over his 40b reef and keeps spa and a nem with them awesome light

• 1 month later...
MadReefer13

all the colors pop with them just as he said the pics are nothing what it looks like in person I have 3 of these over my 10 and it is growing the sps with no problem my buddy has 4 btas under them in a 12g for about 6months and they are just as happy as they were in his 40b with some hella expensive LEDs and colors look just as good better on some corals actually
  • 1 year later...

I've been using three of these and two

all blue on my 20 long for over two years .haven't lost any sps have awesome colors and algae is minimal unless I skip water changes lol.these light are amazing for are small nanos and the colors acualy are amazing in person..and with having the two all blues and the other three white and blue makes it so you can control the color thoughout the day...and make it like a ramp up cuz the light will NOT dim without breaking.

• 1 month later...

Hey,

Just saw this thread. I picked one of these bulbs up the other day and checked it with my multi meter just for safety. On the heatsink, there is a stray DC 2.4 volts. I checked some other Chinese par LEDs and this was the only one with an issue. You might want to check yours for safety just in case.

I think the issue is that the aluminum PCB circuit must be contacting the heatsink.

Archived