Pod Your Reef

modern

1MP3R1AL

Yeah everything seems great. A little high on the calcium side but overall great.

Maybe it's new tank syndrome, lol.

• 5 weeks later...

Everything is still super pissed. Those pics were right after a huge rescape, and 50% water change.

Thanks for the comments! I think its time for a new camera...

Do you have a sketch or write up about your design utilizing the jars? I'm going to be building a stand to replace the cheap particle board stand I currently have and wanted to better understand your design. Tank looks amazing!

Thanks Justind823, your setup looks amazing! Great work.

Nic:

Thank you! Sorry, I don't have a write up of the installation, but I do have pictures I took in series of how I built it.

http://districtburners.com/iankreer/reef-tank/3/

Basically its 3 jars (CAL/ALK/MAG), 3 Toms aqua lifters, and 6 inline 1/4 check valves.

1-x-one-way-non-return-check-valve-aquar

I used two check valves per aqua lifter for precaution.

I use my Apex for dosing. Right now I have it programmed for very short 3 second doses each 6 times throughout the day.

If you have an Apex, I can give you the programming code for it. If not 3 timers should do the trick. But get the ones that will do seconds instead of minutes. A minute of dosing is very hard to control, even with lock fittings.

If this doesn't make sense just let me know and I can draw something up for you.

This is easily one if the best thought out and implemented sumps I have seen. I'm to lazy to even begin to keep something like that clean. Congrats I look forward to seeing this tank mature.

Wow, thanks for the kind words atrox!

It was simple for me. With my last setup, every time I ran into a problem/issue I wrote it down. Every time I did a water change, fed, cleaned, refilled ATO, re-ran wires etc. that made me frustrated, I wrote it down. Within a year a had a bible's worth of things that I wanted to change. That led to building this.

Hope that helps you to build something that makes you enjoy this hobby more. :)

• 3 months later...

Little update. Started dosing 14.8ML of Aquavitro a week, and I am seeing some great improvements in color and explosive growth. This stuff seems to work really well.

12.2.14 DSCF51602.jpg

12.9.14 DSCF5183.jpg

12.28.14DSCF5248.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Marc.The.Shark

Yeah, I've heard of those doing that if you leave them in the tank. I just ordered one because of the low profile, but will be pulling it after each use, especially after seeing this! I don't know why they don't encase that magnet in something b4 putting it in the foam, seems a little chintzy.

Luckily it was in the sump, and whatever rust that accumulated and dropped off was filtered before it made it to the main display. Good question though. They could have easily applied silicone to the magnet itself before putting the sticker over it. I would definitely not leave these in the water and make sure it's dry it after each use. Great little cleaner though.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived