Cultivated Reef

7.5 Gallon Deep Blue will LIVE AGAIN! (Post Deployment)

Gooburz

So this is my 2nd tank now. I needed something at my desk and I had a standard 5.5 gal and really didn't like it that much so one day at the LFS I saw this 12x12x12 deep blue cube and Now its home and running, everything transfered. Pics below!

Day 1: Fish settling in water still cloudy from the clown making his little nitch in the corner.

20140115_182958-1.jpg

20140115_182837-1.jpg

Day 4ish: New EcoPico led with 3 strips and a few corals added from craigslist local reefer. HUGE carpet GSP mat, going to frag and attach to the 2 small rocks. Hopefully the Birdsnest does well, starting to get its green back since I moved it. Looking to add 2 more strips and Frogspawn or Torch coral soon and whatever else I can cram into it.

20140118_185938.jpg

20140118_185944.jpg

20140120_124800.jpg

20140120_124816.jpg

20140120_125133.jpg

Tank has been up for 1 week now, the huge carpet of GSP is thriving in it now, the birdsnest is getting is Green color back from the fragging (guessing it went brown due to shock).

About to cut up the GSP and glue it to the small rocks and make room in the middle for a Torch or Frogspawn coral.

What do you guys think?

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this lately? If the tank is still up make some GSP cuts that will start to cover the back. I haven't had luck with getting it to grow but it always looks best covering the back and sides of the tank IMO

I like your gaming station it almost looks like my desk except mine is a bit smaller and I have a labtop instead of a tower :P

Any updates on this lately? If the tank is still up make some GSP cuts that will start to cover the back. I haven't had luck with getting it to grow but it always looks best covering the back and sides of the tank IMO

I like your gaming station it almost looks like my desk except mine is a bit smaller and I have a labtop instead of a tower :P

Looks good! I saw a tank with green star polyps covering the bottom and it looks really cool. Maybe you should try it...

Ok so finally some updates.

I cut up the GSP mat and attacched it to a rock and now have both of my torch corals in this tank. The other half of the GSP mat is now on one of my large rocks in my 20L and its looking great!

20140131_145748.jpg

http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/Gooburz/media/20140131_145726.jpg.html'>20140131_145726.jpg

http://s1061.photobucket.com/user/Gooburz/media/20140131_145733.jpg.html'>20140131_145733.jpg

Photos are about a month old but its still looking great!

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Sad to say this tank is now retired due to pending Navy deployment. However this tank and my 20L is now in my 40 Breeder, will make thread in the near future. Thankfully I will get to see this tank up and running again after my deployment!

• 6 months later...

The tank will be coming back after Deployment! I've made up my mind and I just love this little cube too much to not set it back up again.

Goal will be to use a PAR38 that I have laying around so I can put it to good use. And since I'm going to get a sump on my 40 Breeder I'm going to use the ESHOPPS PSK-100 skimmer on this tank. Yes I know it's overkill but the water will be SO clean and it sits on the edge of the desk so it will hang over the back of the desk. Will get a small powerhead for flow in the tank and am going to cut an acrylic lid for the tank to help with evaporation because I won't have a ATO for it and I despise filling daily. This should cut back top offs greatly!

Now I know what some of you will think about using that big HOB skimmer is it would look aweful but I'm going to paint the back of the glass so I don't see it though the tank but me personally I like seeing some of my equiptment, it always is a conversation starter when people see my reef.

For stocking I'm still debating on what to stock this tank with, I'm going to add some Frogspawn from my main tank and one of the Blue Mushrooms and some GSP. But for fish I'm at a loss. I'm thinking maybe some Gobies......Suggestions on what to stock this new tank with? And no clowns, already have one.

Archived