Pod Your Reef

=Ecospire's CAD 34 Mini II= 04/29 update new FTS

Ecospire

Greetings!

As of April 29th, I will be keeping this build more up to date. Life happened and I have not been giving this tank the time or care it has needed. Life is finally calming down briefly before my wedding in June, so I want to start making this a focus again. I purchased a DSLR for my fiancé and myself to take on our honeymoon, which means I'll also be able to start producing tank pictures! (It really was a sneaky purchase on my part. She had no clue I would be using it for this hobby haha). Thanks to anyone that will read this, and I hope to bring great material for your viewing and reading pleasure!

=Starter FTS 08/19=

69401478-029c-4c72-9201-d097e1ffab2f.jpg

UPDATE: Just a shot of the side of the tank. I recently redid the scape, and removed about five pounds of rock.

DSC_0040.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

=Equipment=

• CADlights 34g Mini II
  • Aqua Illumination Sol Blue (purchasing Hydra 52 upgrade eventually)
  • Reefkeeper Lite(soon)
  • Jebao WP10 x 2
  • Hydor Smart Level w/ Tom's Aqualifter
  • CADlights PLS-50
  • Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w
  • BRS 4 stage plus
  • Fiji Pink - 20lbs
  • Kent's Marine Salt

=Livestock=

• Various Zoa's
  • Purple torch
  • Unknown mushroom

This thread was started for an old build that was supposed to take place a few months back. I ended up going with the CAD Mini II that it would be better for the house my fiancé and I just moved into. Since this thread started, I have purchased many things, read many articles and threads, and have gotten very excited to start sharing. I purchased a very nice hardwood cabinet from a local furniture shop and have been slowly turning it into my ideal aquarium stand. I was able to save many things from a previous build to use (mainly additives, carbon, test kits, etc.).

I want to thank Tron of course as is customary for anyone who now owns a Mini II and also GTi for answering many questions. To anyone considering picking us this tank, don't hesitate. CAD was an excellent company to work with. They handled all of my issues very professionally and have made me a life-long customer.

-Eco

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Congrats on getting this build going again. I will be parting ways with my tank here soon. Setting up a larger tank.

Congrats on getting this build going again. I will be parting ways with my tank here soon. Setting up a larger tank.

Thanks! What are you setting up next?

Thanks! What are you setting up next?

125g. Just trying to free up space around my house by consolidating all my tanks into one plus only having to do maintenence on one tank instead of three. It may be a while before its all set up because of the expense of larger equip plus the stuff I have to make like the interior overflow and plumbing.

125g. Just trying to free up space around my house by consolidating all my tanks into one plus only having to do maintenence on one tank instead of three. It may be a while before its all set up because of the expense of larger equip plus the stuff I have to make like the interior overflow and plumbing.

Sounds like it will be awesome! You'll have to keep us updated!

Got this brute 14 gallon container to be my ATO reservoir. Drilled a 1/4" hole in the far right corner and dropped in the airline tubing. Going to be using the Aqualifter and setting on the shelf right above the res. I'll soon have my power center in and be able to cable manage this baby.

post-71075-0-24383400-1406929136_thumb.jpg

post-71075-0-00097100-1406929159_thumb.jpg

Just a quick update. Really considering trying to find a gen 2 radion. I really want to go LED and I'm thinking that rather than picking up the budget light, it would be better to pick up something that is upgrade able and has software to program. Any advice?

Nanobox 24" duo plus bluefish, or a gen 2 and later update to gen3 or you could build your own. Depends on you budget

Just an FYI Dave renamed the 24" Duo to the Quad... but I ordered one for the Cad 34 with bluefish and hopefully it'll be here in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know how I like it for our tank!

Thanks guys! I love Dave's products, but I would need the 24" duo which is a little out of my current range. Still very open though.

Just a quick update. Received my rock from John today, and man the pieces were just what I was looking for. I have a large arch in the middle of the tank that gives way to a smaller on to the right and a short pillar that has a flat rock on top of it acting as a shelf. Along with those I have just a lonely island off to the far right side of the tank that will most likely be an acan home.

As soon as the tank clears up a little I'll post a picture or two. Also have the dry rock seeding with a nice piece of cured live rock I got from a LFS for a steal. The cycle/curing process can now officially commence.

• 2 weeks later...

Update time! Cycle is in full swing after only two days of having a raw shrimp in. Went ahead and removed the shrimp (by threat of my fiance) and going to let the tank ride it out from here.

image.jpeg

Also finally have a FTS prepared. The live rock on the far right side of the scape will be removed once the cycle is complete just to give me some extra room in the display.

6674e6bf-9c61-4d61-930f-b08403fa9813.jpg

Any feedback on the scape would be great! the stuff you see has been epoxied, but I can add more rock or take some out.

Thanks!

skyscraper2290

I think the scape looks great, if anything I would add some rock to the front right at the base of the arch as it looks like everything is pointing to the right, JMO though

I think the scape looks great, if anything I would add some rock to the front right at the base of the arch as it looks like everything is pointing to the right, JMO though

Thanks for the feedback! I was also pondering moving the far left shelf to the right side of the tank and move the arches to the left.

Just tested again today. Ammonia is down to around .50 ppm but Nitrites and Nitrates are maxed on the API chart. Now, this is the fourth tank I've cycled, but I have never seen this happen in a cycle. Shall I whip out a water change in the next few days once ammonia drops off the chart or just leave it be? I'm not wanting to rush this, just curious over my readings haha.

Leave me your feedback and I will appreciate it.

Really. Do it.

<3

So I have a choice to make today. I can buy a members 24" TEK T5 system today for $150 or keep saving for something else. What says my fellow CAD brothers?

SouthFlorida_Tron

So I have a choice to make today. I can buy a members 24" TEK T5 system today for $150 or keep saving for something else. What says my fellow CAD brothers?

Those give off some heat, my LFS used a few back in the day... is it 4 or 6 bulb...

also, what kind of coral are you going to keep? May be good to keep waiting for a used ati... they come around from time to time.. or maybe simply go with an LED...

Those give off some heat, my LFS used a few back in the day... is it 4 or 6 bulb...

also, what kind of coral are you going to keep? May be good to keep waiting for a used ati... they come around from time to time.. or maybe simply go with an LED...

My ultimate goal is to have a few nice chalices ans acros, but for the most part it will be zoas and assorted LPS. I love the look of T5 and not scared of bulb cost. Also, how much heat would you say to expect? Our house is 75* year round and the tank is in the living room close to a celing fan I have on almost all the time during the day. If it is enough heat to make a difference I'll pass on the TEK and pray to find an ATI fixture.

My ultimate goal is to have a few nice chalices ans acros, but for the most part it will be zoas and assorted LPS. I love the look of T5 and not scared of bulb cost. Also, how much heat would you say to expect? Our house is 75* year round and the tank is in the living room close to a celing fan I have on almost all the time during the day. If it is enough heat to make a difference I'll pass on the TEK and pray to find an ATI fixture.

I have T5s and no air conditioning although I do have a chiller for days when the outside temps exceed 80 degrees. Unless you have animals sensitive to heat I wouldn't worry about that. My T5s are Aquatic Life so I don't know if that makes a difference.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Well, the ATI obviously has the fan that pushes the heat through the escape vent, i don't recall TEKs having fans... look into it before making your decision.

I think I may do it anyways. If I need to retro some fans I can, plus the bulbs still have 4-5 months on them. If I don't like the fixture, I'll toss it on the local craigslist haha

Archived