Coral Vue Hydros

Akaeding's Nuvo 24 build (All for sale)

akaeding

Well my fiancée and I finally got the tank set up and cycling so heres the rundown on our plans and our equipment.

Equipment:

Innovative Marine nuvo 24

Maxspect razor 160w 16k

Intank media baskets

Intank fuge basket for the future

Tunze 9002 with airline mod and Intank cup

Neo therm 100 watt heater

Pinpoint ph meter

2- spin steam nozzles

The stand is a custom built stand I built myself the top door folds down for my electrical storage and for my test equipment

Stock:

About 25 lbs reef cleaners rock

20lbs Agralive sand

Misc:

Red Sea pro reef test kit

Refractometer

Soon to be items:

Nano 425 power head

Tunze nano ATO or Aqua smart ATO can't make up my mind!! And ideas?

Live stock plans:

Cuc from reef cleaners

2 clowns

Maybe 1-2 other fish just don't know yet

Either a goby or blenny

Some corals not sure kind I'm new to the coral stuff any idea on bright corals that are good for beginners?

Distant future plans:

Apex lite or jr

This is after the unboxing yesterday

post-82354-0-84293900-1389427596_thumb.jpgpost-82354-0-04203500-1389427625_thumb.jpgpost-82354-0-98080600-1389427641_thumb.jpg

Here is after the set and finally getting it wet!!!

post-82354-0-50024200-1389427729_thumb.jpgpost-82354-0-65679000-1389427746_thumb.jpgpost-82354-0-13427400-1389427845_thumb.jpg

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The water cleared up nice. I have got the light all programmed now also. When would you guys recommend adding the cuc and what would you get I know I want a fighting conch to clean the sand bed. And the fiancée wants shrimp but what would you guys all recommend

You need to let it cycle first. Our tank cycled in about 3 weeks and then we added the CUC. Waited 3 weeks, kept up with the water changes, checked the water parameters and then added our first fish. We wanted a fighting conch as well but decided not to get one as they grow quite large. I think we ordered the 20 long package from reef-cleaners and received way more than expected. They really hook you up.

You need to let it cycle first. Our tank cycled in about 3 weeks and then we added the CUC. Waited 3 weeks, kept up with the water changes, checked the water parameters and then added our first fish. We wanted a fighting conch as well but decided not to get one as they grow quite large. I think we ordered the 20 long package from reef-cleaners and received way more than expected. They really hook you up.

Thanks for the tip on the conch I was worried about that. I think I'll go to john at reef-cleaners for the the 20 long also. What shrimp should you recommend?

You are welcome. We really wanted the conch and I think someone on this forum has an IM 24 with one. Our long 20 package came with 140+ snails (various). They also threw in 3-4 blue legged hermits and they have already grown and upgraded their shells.

I don't know about the shrimp. We plan on adding whatever typically pairs with a goby and maybe a fire shrimp but haven't gotten any yet. Our gramma came down with ich and went in the QT yesterday so we are in holding pattern on the DT for quite a while.

I think Defender has a fighting conch in his Nuvo 24. I will probably go ahead and get one. :) But I am also planning on putting a flame angel in too. LFS said they will be fine in the 24, but not the 16. Plus, they have them in a little 5 gallon tank now.

I think Defender has a fighting conch in his Nuvo 24. I will probably go ahead and get one. :) But I am also planning on putting a flame angel in too. LFS said they will be fine in the 24, but not the 16. Plus, they have them in a little 5 gallon tank now.

Hmmm. Maybe I will end up doing one. How long to you have left on your cycle? My fiancée loves the flame angels. I got her away from wanting an anemone to host the clowns and going for a hosting coral.

What do you guys think about the skunk shrimp?

You are welcome. We really wanted the conch and I think someone on this forum has an IM 24 with one. Our long 20 package came with 140+ snails (various). They also threw in 3-4 blue legged hermits and they have already grown and upgraded their shells.

I don't know about the shrimp. We plan on adding whatever typically pairs with a goby and maybe a fire shrimp but haven't gotten any yet. Our gramma came down with ich and went in the QT yesterday so we are in holding pattern on the DT for quite a while.

That's a crazy amount of snails!! What do you have for a quarantine? I really want to set one up when it comes time but don't really know the best way to.

Has anyone used this stuff before? I'm using it to start my system. It says a cap full per day for the first two weeks to start new aquarium filtration.post-82354-0-36250400-1389558373_thumb.jpg

Has anyone used this stuff before? I'm using it to start my system. It says a cap full per day for the first two weeks to start new aquarium filtration.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

We used that when starting our tank (and still use it weekly) and it did the job for us.

For our QT we bought this locally http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11164156&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo

Hard to beat for $14. Also bought an inexpensive thermometer, air pump and air stone as well as a simple sponge filter and heater. We picked up some PVC at Lowe's as well.

post-81248-0-12609600-1389559409_thumb.jpg

We used that when starting our tank (and still use it weekly) and it did the job for us.

For our QT we bought this locally http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11164156&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No'>http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11164156&f=PAD/psNotAvailInUS/No

Hard to beat for $14. Also bought an inexpensive air pump and air stone as well as a simple sponge filter and heater. We picked up some PVC at Lowe's as well.

That's a good idea for a qt. what did you do for a light? I was even thinking of a small pico or something

Do you guys. No your ph. During the cycle time or doesn't it not make a big difference until after the cycle ? Mine is at like 7.65 not sure if I shouldn't worry till cycle is complete it what to do.

Its controversial some people think that their tang like swimming pattern means they need more room and its true they do. I really want one but I'm probably getting a 2'ft long tank not 3 ft

Do you guys. No your ph. During the cycle time or doesn't it not make a big difference until after the cycle ? Mine is at like 7.65 not sure if I shouldn't worry till cycle is complete it what to do.

We tested our water once a week during the cycle to see when it started and finished. We still test it once a week now. Not sure what the norm is but that is what we do. We usually do a water change on Tuesday and then a water test on Wednesday.

How long to you have left on your cycle?

Not sure.... just started the tank last week, so I am only a little ahead of you. :)

Of course I do!! I have the Apex! LOL :D It happens to be 8.06 right now.

ScreenShot2014-01-12at45611PM_zpsc3329bc

Not sure.... just started the tank last week, so I am only a little ahead of you. :)

Of course I do!! I have the Apex! LOL :D It happens to be 8.06 right now.

ScreenShot2014-01-12at45611PM_zpsc3329bc

Wow I love the apex I want one!!! I was thinking of getting the jr. Then get the ph probe or just get the light but damn it's so exspensive. How much did you spend doing your DIY ATO?

The middle one, Apex Lite, is the way to go. But it has been discontinued, yet marine depot still has a bunch. If you buy the Jr, then you need to buy the PM1 module to get pH. Jr doesn't have an outlet for pH. So now you spent about $310. And you only get 4 plugs instead of 8, and several other things as well. Mine as well spend $60 more and get the Lite. My advice, if you want one and can afford it, grab it before they sell out. Even if you just buy the unit and no probe or anything else, you will have it in your possession.

The ATO cost me about $70 total. Which is cheaper than the ATO's out there, so think of it as a discount towards the Apex. And the ATO is much more reliable and safer in my opinion with the added sensor and extra program lines to prevent any accidents.

Just a note on the fighting conch...I have one and he's doing fine! Truth is that they move incredibly slow, so even though he's about two inches long it takes him a while to get from one side of the tank to the other. I worry about him starving in a tank with only 2.5 square feet of sand bed so I feed reef chili not only for the corals but for my clean up crew!

The middle one, Apex Lite, is the way to go. But it has been discontinued, yet marine depot still has a bunch. If you buy the Jr, then you need to buy the PM1 module to get pH. Jr doesn't have an outlet for pH. So now you spent about $310. And you only get 4 plugs instead of 8, and several other things as well. Mine as well spend $60 more and get the Lite. My advice, if you want one and can afford it, grab it before they sell out. Even if you just buy the unit and no probe or anything else, you will have it in your possession.The ATO cost me about $70 total. Which is cheaper than the ATO's out there, so think of it as a discount towards the Apex. And the ATO is much more reliable and safer in my opinion with the added sensor and extra program lines to prevent any accidents.

Looks like I'll have to get one sooner then later ?

Just a note on the fighting conch...I have one and he's doing fine! Truth is that they move incredibly slow, so even though he's about two inches long it takes him a while to get from one side of the tank to the other. I worry about him starving in a tank with only 2.5 square feet of sand bed so I feed reef chili not only for the corals but for my clean up crew!

I'm sold he will be in my list for a cuc. I want a squeaky clean sand bed!

Quick question I'm running filter floss with the two filter blocks that came with the tank under that. My thought was to use that until I'm done cycling then to put in my chemi elite and purgin after with filter floss. Should I be running that now and just toss the filter blocks that came with the tank?

Also would you run the chemi pure elite and purgin in both media baskets or just one side then just floss on the top of both baskets.

What's everyone's thoughts

I asked the same question. I was pretty much told to run filer floss only during cycle. Then add chemi-pure and purigen. I'll be adding both to both chambers unless I learn otherwise. Seems like most 24 owners are doing that with good success.

Now on another note.. You need to be talking to the fiancé about that Apex before they are gone. :)

Archived