SaltCritters.com

To catch a predator..y snail

Nocturnal

Was moving some LR out of display tank today when I had what I thought was a hermit stuck on the rock because it wasn't a cerith or nerite. I was shocked when I realized it was a snail. I was rushing so I wound up dropping it into my 10g instead of grabbing a pic.

I am thinking it is a Whelk as it looked like a jumbo sized nassarius. Question is how can I catch it or lure it out so I can ID and or dispose of? I have a pint glass in there now with a couple of recently dead snails. Any thoughts?

Even if it is a predator I might keep it in a snail free tank as it was pretty cool.

I got him! Go have a seat over there Mr. Whelk.

Due to an epic chest cold and despite the cough syrup plus Codeine's best efforts the Prednisone kept me awake much later than normal. I was reviewing some aquascapes for my upcoming reconfigure when I figured I'd pop down and look at my holding tank and GSP Madness. Low and behold I found this sucker sneaking around.

d84874ba-3808-4458-a715-47fe18870772_zps

Definitely a whelk based on my google research and most certainly predatory (I think). Now I'm really feeling better about my CUC attrition rate over the past year. Turns out I had locked them in with a serial killer.

This guy either hitchhiked in with my LR when I started the tank, or came in via a cleanup crew. I doubt the latter as my CUC source seems way way too knowledgeable about snails to let that guy slip by.

If you can't tell the sizing that is a normal sized algae wafer. It's maybe 3/4 the diameter of a bottle cap. It's a pretty cool looking animal. Compared to a Nassarius which I understand are close cousins, his shell has those b@tchin spikes and his snail skin is all tatted up. As soon as I saw him moving around I could tell that he was a predator. Cautious, but determined. It moves like a very slow Nassarius.

Question is, what do I do with him now? It is in temporary holding pending the parole board's review. I don't really have anywhere I can keep it and I definitely don't want to kill it. Maybe I can find a local with a Pest tank.

c4363655-15de-472e-bfb4-b11d150b1162_zps

(ps, this guy was a big help also)

chris_hansen1.jpg

Edit, he told me to take that algae wafer and shove it. Maybe I'll try a frozen shrimp tomorrow and see how that goes.

Archived