Pod Your Reef

BML (build my led)

zeke2020

For everyone out there that are using, have used or want to get a fixture from bml i would like to know the following:

1. Do you like it?

2. How long have you had it?

3. Do you like your spectrum?

4. Cons, things you would change?

I'm really considering this company. Still on the fence though. Would love feedback from all you bml users! Help me make a decision!

I have the 14k in 48''.

1. I love it!

2. I've had it for about 3 months now.

3. I like the spectrum by itself.

4. But I like a little more blues in my tank so I supplement it with two t5ho bulbs.

They have an excellent build quality to them! Super bright so you may need to get the dimmer.

I have their 36 inch full reef spectrum 14k with 90 degree optics over my 50 gallon tank and I'm loving it - build quality, service & performance.

I've been running mine about 6 months now. Corals are loving it and growing much faster than under 4 T5-HO that they were under before. I'm using the manual dimmer and running mine at about 60% of full brightness.

Highly recommended and 5 years from now you will be able to get them serviced - something you can forget about with Chinese companies.

I just got mine a week ago, custom black 18" fixture modified to 17.5"(length of my tank) at no extra charge. I went with 4 blues, 6 royal blues, 1 red, 2 ultra violets and 2 warm whites. So far, my scolys are loving it. I have it set at 5% to 25% depending on my mood with a dimmer controller. The light fixture itself is of high quality and it's hand-built, but the dimmer controller($15) and adjustable mounting legs($15) isn't that great of a quality but their price justifies that right. I would have went with a hanging kit if I had a chance to hang it but my ceiling won't allow so. Their hanging kit is actually quality stuff though.

I love the lights so far. It looks super clean compared to my previous lights (Inno Marine 14k 18" single strip) and my scolys are happier as well.

Here are pictures from my tank thread.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/333513-s-c-o-l-y/?p=4530066

"Man, man, man, I'm definitely impressed with BML's quality. How it's hand-made and super sleek, fixture is flawless(they even modified it to 17.5" from the original 18" for me at no additional cost). And thanks to Apexdv, my corals wouldn't get melted because I have the dimmer controller...the light is hella bright. Too bright actually.

Here's a teaser."

10700444986_eff572eeea.jpg
BMLmessage by iscolymia, on Flickr

10700461446_b4eebdf59c.jpg
Wholepackage by iscolymia, on Flickr

10700628843_84b2e59847.jpg
Moar by iscolymia, on Flickr

10700381475_7350281f4e.jpg
BMLlogo by iscolymia, on Flickr

10700451256_b4ec02790d.jpg
Sexy by iscolymia, on Flickr

10700425284_5e0bbd2170.jpg
Ohyah by iscolymia, on Flickr

And here are my scolys under the BML fixture, at 15%.

10702375734_23528b2f18.jpg
Topdown by iscolymia, on Flickr

10702371684_365d48b656.jpg
Quick1 by iscolymia, on Flickr

10702311005_fbda68c3b9.jpgAt 2%.
Ledlayout by iscolymia, on Flickr

At 20%.

10767657536_d2f2873f95.jpg
FULLfts by iscolymia, on Flickr

They do have a 20k version one, if you ask them for it. (More blue, I was going to go with that originally, but I decided I wanted even more blue and chose my own led colors)

Thats AWESOME! that fixture is pretty damn sleek huh? Looks like it would have no problem fitting into a canopy then.your spectrum looks good! Do you have any disco effect at all? Really don't see any from the pics. Btw been checking out your thread here & there but i missed your bml purchase! I really want one of these!! 90% sure I'm gonna pull the trigger, just making sure i hear all the Cons about them which seems nil. Love the scolys too! Might try my hand at those guys too when i have more room in the new tank. Thanks for the input illiiux.

Thats AWESOME! that fixture is pretty damn sleek huh? Looks like it would have no problem fitting into a canopy then.your spectrum looks good! Do you have any disco effect at all? Really don't see any from the pics. Btw been checking out your thread here & there but i missed your bml purchase! I really want one of these!! 90% sure I'm gonna pull the trigger, just making sure i hear all the Cons about them which seems nil. Love the scolys too! Might try my hand at those guys too when i have more room in the new tank. Thanks for the input illiiux.

Yeah no problem. And no, there's no disco ball effect with my chosen led combination...I don't know about the 14k version, but I did see them, the owner of BML and their assistant, in person at Reef-a-palooza before I made my purchase and they had a 14k on display, didn't see any disco ball effect either..soo you should have no worries about the disco ball effect. I think they might have eliminated that by adding a diffusing light glass..as you can see on my picture here.

10700425284_5e0bbd2170_b.jpg

Ohyah by iscolymia, on Flickr

Kinda like how Ai hydra has that light diffusing glass over the leds.

And thanks for the nice comments on my scolys. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been really thinking about buying some of their strips for my tank (14k). I'd like to see more about how these work/look for different people. They seem awesome.

How programable are these? Are they compatible with other controllers?

As far as i know they work with reef keepers, reef angels, and apex. I'm getting a rkl for mine. I'm curious if i should get an 18 inch will that be enough or stick with the 24. (The full length of my 15 gallon) what do you all think? My tank is shallow (12inches ) so i figure it will work but any advice you guys have is welcome.. I'll probably do custom spectrum.

im looking into this to...i just want to grow sps in my 10 gal....dont know if i should make it custom or preset lights

Go with 14k then. Perfect for sps.

So I'm going to order one this weekend!..what spectrum should i go with?

Depends,....what are you planning on stocking? What corals?

As far as I recall, the LED strips are 12 inches. With an 18 inch you would only have the 12 inch strip. Go with the 24 IMO.

As far as i know they work with reef keepers, reef angels, and apex. I'm getting a rkl for mine. I'm curious if i should get an 18 inch will that be enough or stick with the 24. (The full length of my 15 gallon) what do you all think? My tank is shallow (12inches ) so i figure it will work but any advice you guys have is welcome.. I'll probably do custom spectrum.

They can customize the length of the fixture at no extra cost....well at least that's what they did for mine (from 18" to 17.5").

As far as I recall, the LED strips are 12 inches. With an 18 inch you would only have the 12 inch strip. Go with the 24 IMO.

They can modify the length, soo 15" is doable. Just gotta email them.

They modified my 18" to a 17.5" at no extra cost.

What do you do just email them or would it be better just to call them to tell them what you want?

Either way is fine. I emailed to save money on calls lol.

How long did you wait for a reply?

Lol 30min-half day. They're really responsive in terms of great customer services. They have quite the reputation from their assistants.

Archived