Pod Your Reef

DT's ADA 60F Shallow Reef

daletu

I need some of those colored sticks, I would so do a planted tank if I hadn't hit my wifey tanky limit :lol:

My fiancé saw the Nanobox and asked, "What is that?"

I said, "Its a super nice customized LED light."

She said, "Why another light?"

I said, "Its for another planted tank."

Then she said, "Why another planted? Reef tank is better."

Hahaha... my fiancé is awesome! :D

• Like 8

sounds awesome! I sometime find my wife staring at the tank,and i ask her whats she doin-her reply "nothing" :lol: , but with my mangrove reef(80 gallon),black lagoon(10 gallon) and my 151 gallon vivarium-It's at the limit lol

• Like 1

You have taught her well.

• Like 1

FTS & RANDOM PHOTOS

Front tank shot 01/21/14

140121-10.jpg

Unknown polyps (Anyone know what this is?)

140121-09.jpg

Unknown critter... like white strings (What is this?)

140121-08.jpg

Some kind of tube worm on the left and brittle star on the right

140121-03.jpg

Red Flower Rock Anemone has bright red color. It's definitely the center focus of my tank.

140121-05.jpg

ORA Purple Undata Montipora had deeper purple color before, but now has very nice light blue/purple color

140121-06.jpg

Mandarin goby is eating ova on the ORA Supernatural Capricornis

140121-07.jpg

Orchid Dottyback rarely venture out its cave, for some reason it is not afraid of me today

140121-01.jpg

My new Splatter Yellow Hammer sitting with rics and mushrooms

140121-02.jpg

• Like 10

Great photo update! There are so many great things about this tank but I think the open scape is what really makes it!

I hope your Mandarin stays in the tank. I've had two jump out of the tank over the years. I found this very odd since they stay close to the ground but apparently it's a mating thing where they come to the surface. I have a Scooter Blenny now, he seems to avoid the open top.

Again, great tank, love to visit this thread.

• Like 1

FTS & RANDOM PHOTOS

Front tank shot 01/21/14

140121-10.jpg

Unknown polyps (Anyone know what this is?)

140121-09.jpg

Unknown critter... like white strings (What is this?)

140121-08.jpg

Some kind of tube worm on the left and brittle star on the right

140121-03.jpg

Red Flower Rock Anemone has bright red color. It's definitely the center focus of my tank.

140121-05.jpg

ORA Purple Undata Montipora had deeper purple color before, but now has very nice light blue/purple color

140121-06.jpg

Mandarin goby is eating ova on the ORA Supernatural Capricornis

140121-07.jpg

Orchid Dottyback rarely ventures out its cave, for some reason it is not afraid of me today

140121-01.jpg

My new Splatter Yellow Hammer sitting with rics and mushrooms

140121-02.jpg

I think you need photos everyday. It makes me happy. :D

• Like 1

Great photo update! There are so many great things about this tank but I think the open scape is what really makes it!

I hope your Mandarin stays in the tank. I've had two jump out of the tank over the years. I found this very odd since they stay close to the ground but apparently it's a mating thing where they come to the surface. I have a Scooter Blenny now, he seems to avoid the open top.

Again, great tank, love to visit this thread.

Thank you urbaneks!

My mandarin seems to be very calm and not afraid of any other fish in my tank. Once in a while, he will venture close to dottyback's cave, dottyback will come out to try to push him away but the mandarin just sit there and chill. :) I don't think I will add any fish in the future so I hope he stays.

I think you need photos everyday. It makes me happy. :D

Haha... I am so afraid if I put too many photos here, people will think this is a photo dump thread or I'm showing off... :D so I try adding some comments about each photo to make it more interesting now. Haha...

I'm loving the last shot. Awesome hammer. Where'd you get it from?

I bought it from Richard at exoticreefcrations.com

You will need to email him for the availability. His corals come and go fast, so he doesn't update his website very often.

• Like 1

Oh cool, I get $15 shipping from him since I live in VA :P. I'll have to contact him.

Really nice guy! I only bought the hammer. He asked if I want to add any coral to save some shipping, my tank is full, so I really don't need any coral. But he ended up sending me a free Acan anyway. :)

• Like 1

Looks great as usual man. How's the Acan doing?

Doing fine I think. I feed them everyday to accelerate the growth. However, they lose thier yellow/orange colors in the middle. Hope the colors will come back once they are fully recovered.

Nice shots man!

Thanks man! :)

Great shots I love the mandarin goby overhead shot, very koi pond lookdown'ish.

Thanks hey! Love that shot myself too. :)

UPDATES

WATER PARAMETER

It's been more than a month since my last water test. I had some spare time today so decided to do some tests before water change. Phosphate level seems a little high. I will probably need to reduce the food for feeding the fish. Other than that, other parameters are all looking pretty good. :)

PH - 8.4

Salinity - 1.026

Alkalinity - 9.8 dKH

Calcium - 414 ppm

Nitrate - 0 ppm

Phosphate - 0.06 ppm

CHANGE SALT MIX TO RED SEA

The first salt mix I used was Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. It worked fine and dissolved fast. I had no issue with it but then I saw an article about it may kill benificial bacterias in the water so decided to give lab grade Marine Enterprises Crystal Sea Marinemix Salt Mix a try. It supposedly has less impact to the beneficial bacterias in the water. This salt mix worked great, I had no issue at all and it dissolved even faster than Instant Ocean Reef Crystals. My corals were growing fast too. The only drawback was its price. It cost $24 for a small 15 lb bag which can only mix about 50 gallons of saltwater.

Today, I just did water change with Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. I've heard a lot of good things about this salt mix and curious to try. I tested the Red Sea saltwater that's been premixed last week and brought water temperature to 26 degrees C and the result was not bad. At 1.025 SG, alkalinity is 9.78 dKH and calcium is 413 ppm. Calcium is less than what Red Sea claim (480 ppm) but it's enough. I won't need 480 ppm calcium anyway. Lets see how this salt mix works. I don't expect big change to my tank but I hope to see signs of growth of my corals like my previous salt mix.

ADJUST GREEN LED COLOR

I have noticed red, pink and purple colors on my corals are fading a little. I suspect it may be because of the colors of my LED light. After talking with VABumpkin, I learned about this color wheel below. So basically you enhance the color by the color from the opposite side. Therefore, to enhance my red, pink and purple colors I need to increase my green and yellow LED. Which makes sense because I had my green LED set pretty low. I just dialed it up to about 45% of the blue color today. Hopefully, the red color will start to come back.

HGTV_Color-Wheel-Full_s4x3_lg.jpg

• Like 5

Stunning pictures, I have always loved that picture you used for your DP, props on AI taking notice!. It's been a while since I checked in but you have some great new additions. I have decided that now's the time to buy the AI Sol to Hydra upgrade kit. I too have noticed that the red and blue colourations on my Acros have lessened over time, pretty certain it's due to me having no yellow, green or red colour supplementation on my Sol Blue.

• Like 1

Stunning pictures, I have always loved that picture you used for your DP, props on AI taking notice!. It's been a while since I checked in but you have some great new additions. I have decided that now's the time to buy the AI Sol to Hydra upgrade kit. I too have noticed that the red and blue colourations on my Acros have lessened over time, pretty certain it's due to me having no yellow, green or red colour supplementation on my Sol Blue.

Thank you! :) That's great! I am sure you will like the Hydra more. More colors and more control is always better. How is your tank? Hope it is back on track now.

Dale, Also try bumping just green, regular blue and cyan. Blue and cyan do an amazing job with those colors. -Dave

Thanks Dave. Hydra does not have cyan, the closest is royal blue. Royal blue has always been my main and brightest color. I wish Hydra uses soft white so that way it will have more yellow. Even though it is a full spectrum light, I still think its lacking some of the colors.

Haha I'm glad you're enjoying the color wheel!

Haha. I didn't know it works that way but now I know. Thanks for the lecture! :D

• Like 1