Cultivated Reef

Newb PicO II build

vaitape

Hey guys

Ive been lurking here for a while and have finally decided to take the plunge. Here is my planned 'bill of materials' :)

Tank PIcO II 15x15x15 AIO

Refugium light PicO refugium LED light

Stand Nano Cube 12 Gallon Stand 15" x 15" x 28"

Main Lighting Boost PAR 30 LED Lamp 60 deg+Clamp

OR Coral Compulsion 24W PAR 38 20k Full Spectrum G2 Dimmable

OR Rapid LED 12 LED PAR 38 Bulb-Mixed Color with UV 80 deg

Clamp Boost LED Clamp

Heater EHEIM Jager Aquarium Thermostat Heater 50W Thermometer Digital Aquarium Terrarium Thermometer ST-3 Black Saltwater test kit API Saltwater Master Test Kit Hydrometer Instant Ocean Aquarium Hydrometer

Filtration

Live Rock -From premium aquatics

Base Rock Premium Ultra Fiji Cured Live Rock -4lbs

Premium Live Rock Manado Live Rock - Cured-3lbs

Live Sand CaribSea Arag-Alive Fiji Pink Sand-10lbs

Chamber 1 Filter Floss+chemipure / purigen?

Chamber 2 Chaeto+ some live sand

Powerhead Hydor Koralia Nano 425

OR Hydor Koralia Nano 240

CUC Custom from reefcleaners-No crabs

I am not sure what I would like to stock yet, but have been thinking about ricordea florida, frogspawn, brain coral and one or 2 clownfish.

Questions:

-Of the lighting choices above, i am leaning towards the rapid LED option-will it fit on the boost LED clamp/be too heavy for it?

-Will the 7lbs of live rock listed suffice for this size of tank-since its less than the usual 1+lb/gl rule

-Will filterfloss + Chaeto be enough for filtration or do i definitely need chemipure/purigen? I will not be adding a skimmer for now..

-Will the Nano 425 provide too much flow for the tank size?

Looking forward to your input so I head in the right direction.

Looking good, snap some pics when you get a chance.

Any of the lights will be good for softies and LPS maybe some SPS in the top of the tank. The boost clamp is rated for up to 5lbs iirc just double check to make sure plus all the sockets should be universal so the can screw into any standard socket.

In a pico the 1lb/gal is irrelevant, as long as you have a decent amount in the tank and don't plan to over load the system. Plus less rock will allow for more room to craft a nice scape.

I'm not sure what the OEM filtration is for that pico but if you have room I'd recommend running some activated carbon as well, nut no chemipure and purigen are not needed, but they do help.

I have a mp10 in my Nuvo 8g with roughly the same dimensions and I should have done it from the beginning, I had 2 nano 425's plus a maxi jet 900 for a return pump and it just wasn't enough. Now I run the mp10 on random mode up to 75% with 1 nano 425 and a mj1200 return pump. In short I highly RECOMMEND the MP10 from the beginning to save the headaches down the road from not having enough flow.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions and as always take it slowly.

skyscraper2290

Have you ordered your PicO yet? I just ordered the III and am beyond excited for everything. One thing that has been recommended to me is to ditch the API test kits and go with something better such as Red Sea test kit or Salifert test kits. You should check out nanoboxreef.com too for your lighting. Also from what I have researched so far you are better off with a refractometer instead of the hydrometer.

Cool. I have the same tank.

A couple things;

-double check the jbj stand dimension. I think the 15x15 dimension is measured from the outside of the front bow so it might look a little funny sitting on the stand. I had a lot of trouble finding the perfect stand so I just built my own. Is PicO offering stands yet?

- I wouldn't fuss with chaeto in the back chamber and definitely wouldn't put any sand back there. I found the fuge light is a little tricky to use as well with the filter rack.

You don't NEED chemipure or purigen. Your liverock should give you all the filtration you need. I used both for a while then took both out for a while with no problems other than less than perfectly clear water. Now I just filterfloss and purigen. Just do weekly water changes. I like purigen because it keeps the water very clear. I was unable to determine the benefits of CPE.

The 425 won't be too much flow. It seems like a lot but you might end up wanting more! I ran a 425 and a 240 then switched to an MP10. I like the MP10 but I also liked being able to direct my flow with the koralia powerheads.

just my two cents.

Bobyboy-Thanks for the advise, i checked with Rapid Led who confirmed the bulb weighs about a pound, so the boost LED clamp should be able to hold it. I think i may have to upgrade to an MP10 later on though, its not in the budget for now. Will definitely post pics once i get a chance.

Skyscraper2290-Not yet, i am trying to get all the equipment spec'd out before i go and order the tank, the stand is now my major concern-What are you planning on using as a stand? I will probably end up going with the red sea test kits.

Passaggper-Thanks for the advise on the stand-PiCo i offering stands right now but they are relatively expensive. I suck at building stuff on my own so the DIY is not an option. As far as the powerhead goes, looks like i will go with the 425 for now.

skyscraper2290

Bobyboy-Thanks for the advise, i checked with Rapid Led who confirmed the bulb weighs about a pound, so the boost LED clamp should be able to hold it. I think i may have to upgrade to an MP10 later on though, its not in the budget for now. Will definitely post pics once i get a chance.

Skyscraper2290-Not yet, i am trying to get all the equipment spec'd out before i go and order the tank, the stand is now my major concern-What are you planning on using as a stand? I will probably end up going with the red sea test kits.

Passaggper-Thanks for the advise on the stand-PiCo i offering stands right now but they are relatively expensive. I suck at building stuff on my own so the DIY is not an option. As far as the powerhead goes, looks like i will go with the 425 for now.

I ordered the tank and decided I would figure out the rest of what I needed while it was being built (3-5 weeks). As for the stand I am going to build one with the help of a friend who has good experience. I am also gonna use the 425, but if it isn't enough I might add a second one.

I ordered the tank and decided I would figure out the rest of what I needed while it was being built (3-5 weeks). As for the stand I am going to build one with the help of a friend who has good experience. I am also gonna use the 425, but if it isn't enough I might add a second one.

Do you know what the approximate weight of a fully loaded system would be?

skyscraper2290

Well the PicO III is 18x18x18 and holds approximately 22 gallons so 22x8= 176 pounds, then I will have 20lbs of LR and another 10-20 pounds of sand, and then say another 20 pounds for equipment (probably high) so it should be around 236 pounds so I would just round up to 250 pounds to be safe.

The PicO II is 15x15x15 so that should be around 14 or so gallons x 8 (pounds per gallon) and you will be at 112 plus probably another 50 pounds for LR, sand, equipment so you should be looking at around 162 pounds for your system.

• 1 month later...

Hey All

So my tank arrived, and i set it up for cycling 6 days ago with the 7lbs of Manado cured live rock, and 10lbs of live sand. Params are(Ammonia 0.5ppm/0nitrate and phosphate) but i am already seeing a diatom bloom and what i believe to be green turf algae. I have not measured phosphates yet, and was planning to add chaeto a clean up crew once the cycle is done-but I am afraid of the turf algae taking over the tank before the cycle is even complete. I am leaving the lights on for ~10 hours currently.

What is the best route to take here? Add Chaeto and CUC to control the turf algae growth? Or do i go via the peroxide dip route? Any advise would be appreciated.

Turf Algae?

Turf algae????

Diatoms and green turf algae

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Sorry you haven't gotten any answers. I'm not sure I have much to offer, but I would suggest shortening the time your lights are on and waiting a little longer.

Archived