Top Shelf Aquatics

Hammerhead's IM Nuvo 24 **New Pics** 11/26/13

HammerheadV13

HammerheadV13

After stumbling upon this thread and seeing Jay Wee's 24 and razor combo I had to make the jump. I live in a small condo and space was a premium, after a few sleepless nights I decided I had the perfect spot for my tank and the next day I was on marinedepot.com purchasing my IM 24 with Maxspect Razor, spin streams, and a 100W heater.

Equipment:

Maxspect Razor

IM Spinstream (x2)

Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152

InTank Media/Fuge Baskets

JBJ Nano-Glo fuge light

Vortech MP10

Tunze 9002 w/InTank Cup

Cobalt Aquatics MJ900 Pumps x2

Cobalt Aquatics 100w Neo-Therm

Livestock:

True Percula Clownfish (x2)

Yellow Watchman Goby

Flame Angelfish

Aquascape

post-80543-0-54700900-1377490758_thumb.jpg

FTS

post-80543-0-91727100-1377490877_thumb.jpg

Diatoms

post-80543-0-04285300-1377490912_thumb.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's Looking Great!

When you got to the LFS and your numbers are good... Get a good set of clean up crew.

I think I like the Nuvo 24 a lot!!

I ordered my 24 with a Razor last week and built my stand over the weekend so it would be ready to go when all the goodies arrive. Looking forward to following your progress.

HammerheadV13

Likewise, I wish I had the space for a DIY stand. Yours is looking sturdy. How do we get our threads on the IM sticky page?

I haven't started my thread yet but will when I actually get the tank on the stand and put water in it. Since you already have a thread for yours I think all you need to do is post in the Innovative Marine Nuvo Index Thread with your thread's URL and ask for it to be added. Joel Sandoman looks like the person that normally takes care of it.

HammerheadV13

Small update on my cycle. I observed diatoms on my sand/rock last Friday but the bloom was not as vast as I had hoped. I came home from work yesterday and to my disappointment there were hardly any diatoms in the tank. After sulking for a bit I took a closer look and saw tons of little pods all over my glass/rock/ and sand bed. Is it unusual to see such a small diatom bloom like this? I used 22lbs of dry rock, 20lbs of dry sand, and only seeded with a cup of live sand and 3 small pieces of LR.

HammerheadV13

That is definitely my next purchase. I had the API freshwater kit and hear that the Red Sea Marine kit is the way to go.

I have three different API kits. The FW, the SW, and the Reef. I recently got frustrated in how hard it is to get an accurate read on the Nitrate test so I bought a Red Sea Algae test kit (Phos/Nitrate) and should have it today. The API tests are very easy to do and fairly accurate the problem is some of them can be hard to read (color differences are minor for a large jump in ppm reading).

The Red Sea kits are simply amazing. I wouldn't use anything else at this point, the color wheel makes it incredibly easy to get accurate readings and the test reagents themselves are more accurate than the API tests.

Dude nice setup! AND IS THAT A SANTA CRUZ NOMAD? Damn wish I live in texas. You guys got some good trails. No where to ride here in NYC.

HammerheadV13

You need a good test kit to really find out what's happening with your cycle. Otherwise its just a guess.

I picked up the Red Sea marine care kit today from my LFS. Here are my numbers to this point. I am still running stock media.

Ammonia: 0.2 ppm

Nitrite: 0.0 ppm

Nitrate: 0.0 ppm

pH: 8.2

Dude nice setup! AND IS THAT A SANTA CRUZ NOMAD? Damn wish I live in texas. You guys got some good trails. No where to ride here in NYC.

Thanks man, nah I wish it was a Santa Cruz, their bikes are sick! It's a Specialized Stumpjumper Comp, love that bike, but I bought it when I lived in San Diego. It's a bit of overkill for the trails in DFW. No good trails in Central Park?

HammerheadV13

It looks like I have completed my cycle, went to the LFS today and added a light cleanup crew. 14 assorted snails/hermits. At least I have something to look at now.

HammerheadV13

I was thinking about beefing up my filtration before adding a fish. But I will see if my patience will allow for that.

I'm definitely thinking a couple clowns, Shrimp & Goby, dwarf angel, and maybe a wrasse. Still not 100% sure on those selections.

I think I might be technically overstocked with my tank but the filtration system is doing great so far. Nitrates are dropping daily (down to 1.5ppm). I have the following in my Nuvo 24:

Coral Beauty

Two Occ. Clownfish

Flametail Blenny

Green Chromis

Bangaii Cardinal

Talbot Damsel

Various Shrimp and Crabs

You should be good with your list. Make sure you get a skimmer :)

HammerheadV13

Where do you guys keep your water level in rear pump area? Has anyone noticed a random rush of bubbles coming out of the spin streams from time to time? The only thing I can attribute this to is small bubbles being formed as the water cascades out of the sump areas into the main pump chamber... then the small bubble gets sucked into the pump and through the spin streams as a rush of smaller bubbles. It seems to be random, and both spin streams push out the bubbles at the same time. Any ideas? This seems to be more pronounced when the water in the pump chamber is more than 1" below the sump chambers.

Where do you guys keep your water level in rear pump area? Has anyone noticed a random rush of bubbles coming out of the spin streams from time to time? The only thing I can attribute this to is small bubbles being formed as the water cascades out of the sump areas into the main pump chamber... then the small bubble gets sucked into the pump and through the spin streams as a rush of smaller bubbles. It seems to be random, and both spin streams push out the bubbles at the same time. Any ideas? This seems to be more pronounced when the water in the pump chamber is more than 1" below the sump chambers.

My ATO keeps it around 1/2 in from the tops spill overs. I also have some live rock in that pump chamber just for the additional bio filtering. I have noticed those bubbles from time to time - seems more if the water goes lower. They seem to be formed by the water spilling over and dropping into the chamber. Good to know they aren't directly related to my skimmer.

HammerheadV13

My ATO keeps it around 1/2 in from the tops spill overs. I also have some live rock in that pump chamber just for the additional bio filtering. I have noticed those bubbles from time to time - seems more if the water goes lower. They seem to be formed by the water spilling over and dropping into the chamber. Good to know they aren't directly related to my skimmer.

That's about where I am keeping my level as well. I may go ahead and steal your idea and put some additional rubble in the pump area to help disperse the bubbles that tumble over into that chamber.

How is your skimmer coming along? Has it started to settle down a bit?

HammerheadV13

Nothing really new to report. I have a few other projects going on right now and am content to allow my system to continue aging. I have noticed some green and brown algae forming in my more intense lighting areas. But the cleanup crew are enjoying the feast. I don't think I am 100% satisfied with my scape and will probably make some adjustments before I start adding livestock and corals.

post-80543-0-55117100-1378399257_thumb.jpg

post-80543-0-31220900-1378399278_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The progress on my tank has been a little slow recently, but a few things have happened this week. First thing was a set of true percula clowns, they got acquainted with the tank pretty quickly and seem very happy. Second was that I picked up a more robust cleanup crew from reefcleaners.org. I have to say, these guys are voracious and the little bit of hair algae I had was gone within 3 hours of putting them in my tank. And lastly, I upgraded my filtration with the InTank media/fuge baskets with filter floss, purigen, and chemi-pure elite. I'm running some cheato in the fuge and stocked it with pods, and I also got the JBJ nano LED for lighting. I'm excited to see how things go after these changes. Next on the list is an MP10, then skimmer.

Here are a few pics and a time lapse video. Enjoy.

post-80543-0-57009200-1379607487_thumb.jpg

post-80543-0-81367700-1379607500_thumb.jpg

Clean Up Crew Timelapse

Archived