Coral Vue Hydros

College's CADlight 8g Mini

CollegeNanoKid

CollegeNanoKid

Hello All!

The following is my build thread starting 8/4/2013 when I ordered my supplies:

I have been researching saltwater aquariums for about two years now. I have read lots of forums and conducted a lot of research. I will be using this thread for my own records and hopefully to get help when I run into questions.

Please chime in, any advice or constructive criticism is much appreciated!

About me: I am a physical therapy graduate student, I will have my DPT in 2 more years.

About the tank:

I am going to make an effort to keep track of the price of my tank ( :blink: ) know that you should not get into this hobby on a budget, however reality is, I do have a budget. My goal is $500 ish.

Things I have already ordered online:

• CAD Lights 8 g Mini with stock LED fixture $180 (I hope it gets here in one piece)
  • API Master Liquid Test Kit - Saltwater $16.00
  • Battery back up Air pump (for emergency use) $6.00
  • Reef Crystals 50 gallon mix $18.00
  • Hydrometer $9.00
  • Revive Coral Cleaner $7.00
  • Chemi-Pure Elite $9.00
  • Sera Filter Wool $3.00
  • Maxi-Jet 900 $18.00 (for mixing SW)
  • Ammonium Chloride Solution (for cycling) $3.00
  • Eheim Jager 50 Watt $24.00 (for tank)
  • Deep Blue 100 watt heater $14.00 (for mixing SW)
  • Floating thermometer $2.50
  • Mag-Float 30 $8.00
  • Dr. Tim's One and Only $10.00
  • Arag-Alive Special Grade Sand 10 lbs $14.00
  • Thermometer LCD stick-on (back-up thermometer) $2.00
  • Gravel Vac $2.00
  • 7 Pounds Bulk Reef Supply Reef Saver Rock $25.00
  • 10 gallons distilled water $10.00
  • 5 gallon bucket $5.00

Total Thus far: ~$386.00

Things I need to get:

Distilled water @ 0.88 cents/gallon

2 x 5 gallon buckets

Gloves for handling corals

CUC via reefcleaners when the time comes

Plans for the tank:

One clownfish and basic coral (one green candycane and one torch coral) and CUC. That is all.

I plan on relying heavily on weekly water changes and plan to only use filter floss in the back chamber (I did order chemi pure elite in case it is needed/desired)

I know a lot of people think that the stock LED light cannot grow these corals, I am hoping it will. Time will tell. I know a lot of people think Dr. Tim's one and only is a joke. Maybe it is. I am going to try it simply because I don't want to use Live rock because of unwanted hitchhikers. A lot of people will say I will get them anyway and maybe I will, but I'm going to try this way. If it works great. If it fails, I will learn and do it different next time. I am not using this cycling method to speed up the process. I don't care if it takes 1 week or 2 months.

Sorry this is so long and I don't have any pictures yet. The stuff should start arriving in the next few days. I will do an unboxing of the cadlight tank for those interested. I sure hope its all in one piece!

Thanks for reading. Happy Reefing! :D

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CollegeNanoKid

**Update**

All the supplies arrived last week and the CADLight 8g mini arrived yesterday. I did an unboxing video of the tank but the video turned out horrible, sorry. Here is a pic of the tank with the stock lighting on during the leak test:

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/916bd31e-763b-4979-8456-435fd3201569_zps559cae7a.jpg.html'>916bd31e-763b-4979-8456-435fd3201569_zps

My Thoughts about the Tank:

The glass is amazing and very clear the silicone job was good (not perfect, but overall very nice). There were no leaks. The pump is rated for 123 gph and appears to do a good job at moving water. The light is very bright and blue, however the light feels very cheap and does not stay in the flipped up position. My light fixture does not go even with the bracket (the front of the light panel is tilted upwards). Lastly the glass top for over the rear chamber is useless because there is no cut-out for the heater and pump chords. Overall, I like the tank a lot and had great service from CADlights.

I got reef saver rock from Bulk Reef Supply. I got 7 pounds of rock. It arrived as two large pieces so I utilized the hammer and chisel to make this:

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/0cd670b3-8902-4ce5-95c2-ca4020b6ee60_zpsb69bcc02.jpg.html'>0cd670b3-8902-4ce5-95c2-ca4020b6ee60_zps

How does it look? fits in tank without touching glass.

Can anyone explain to me how the rear chamber should work? I have three compartments the first for filter, the second my heater and the third the pump. Water comes in the overflow down through the filter media (sponge) and can get into second compartment by going over or under the glass divider (does this seem right?)

I will post more updates and pics soon.

Happy Reefing!

CollegeNanoKid

*Update*

I added the rock, sand, and saltwater. The rock formation I had made broke right as I was "Fine-tuning" it :angry: SO...my rock work is not that great and it needs some help but for now I think it will do just fine. I have added the Dr. Tim's One and Only and dosed the tank with ammonium chloride solution to a concentration of ~2 ppm. I am going to wait a day and then take some tests (hopefully I will see a decrease in [ammonium].

Tank temp is 77 degrees and my saltwater is reading 1.022 I am going to slowly bring it up to 1.024 over the next two weeks.

Here are some pics!

Tank with salt, rock, sand and no light:

0066597c-3d70-4e65-9797-3785131ddf73_zps

Tank with light:

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/IMG_0240_zps895a302e.jpg.html'>IMG_0240_zps895a302e.jpg

Ammonium Solution:

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/b222dc9b-2b20-4e4d-a3c0-cdd34790d032_zpsb708f65d.jpg.html'>b222dc9b-2b20-4e4d-a3c0-cdd34790d032_zps

One and Only:

15afc1ec-26a4-494a-8bf6-d9213708475a_zps

I know there are a lot of mixed feelings/opinions about nitrifying bacteria in a bottle so I will do my best to update my progress. I am simply trying it because good live rock is near impossible for me to get and because I am curious. I am not doing it to speed up the process of cycling.

Happy Reefing!

**Update**

All the supplies arrived last week and the CADLight 8g mini arrived yesterday. I did an unboxing video of the tank but the video turned out horrible, sorry. Here is a pic of the tank with the stock lighting on during the leak test:

916bd31e-763b-4979-8456-435fd3201569_zps

My Thoughts about the Tank:

The glass is amazing and very clear the silicone job was good (not perfect, but overall very nice). There were no leaks. The pump is rated for 123 gph and appears to do a good job at moving water. The light is very bright and blue, however the light feels very cheap and does not stay in the flipped up position. My light fixture does not go even with the bracket (the front of the light panel is tilted upwards). Lastly the glass top for over the rear chamber is useless because there is no cut-out for the heater and pump chords. Overall, I like the tank a lot and had great service from CADlights.

I got reef saver rock from Bulk Reef Supply. I got 7 pounds of rock. It arrived as two large pieces so I utilized the hammer and chisel to make this:

0cd670b3-8902-4ce5-95c2-ca4020b6ee60_zps

How does it look? fits in tank without touching glass.

Can anyone explain to me how the rear chamber should work? I have three compartments the first for filter, the second my heater and the third the pump. Water comes in the overflow down through the filter media (sponge) and can get into second compartment by going over or under the glass divider (does this seem right?)

I will post more updates and pics soon.

Happy Reefing!

Nice start, and that first scape was pretty awesome, too bad that it didn't work out for you in the end.

As far as the filtration goes, the water probably flows down through the sponge (which you may want to consider replacing with filter floss, in any case, clean it out every week, because they pick up a lot of dirt) and then under the glass divider, up through the second chamber, and then overflow into the third where the return is. Hope that makes sense :lol:

And good start on the cycle, the bacteria in a bottle can only help! I think a lot of the debate is over as you mentioned people using it to "instantly cycle" their tanks. (Which I think can be done if you are moving over rock, filtration equipment, etc. from an established system)

• 2 months later...
CollegeNanoKid

Hello!

I know a good update is well over due. Unfortunately Grad school is keeping me really busy. I have not been neglected the tank. I added one clown fish after I did a fish-less cycle for about 6 weeks. I have had the single clownfish, 2 cerith snails, and 1 nassirus snail. That is all I have gotten so far. I let the algae do its thing and so far I think everything is going well. I have been adding things extremely slow. The tank has been going for over 2 months, I plan to add my first coral at the four month mark. I did get a 0 nitrate reading on both my API and Saifert tests the other day :)

Here is a pic of the tank, the rock looks a lot cleaner in the picture than it does in real life, also the tank is not this blue in real life. Sorry about the crappy I-phone pic.

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/00cc4098-949f-4751-abea-69ce0a4bade5_zpsb77fd7c7.jpg.html'>00cc4098-949f-4751-abea-69ce0a4bade5_zps

Happy Reefing!

Seen this is on my cerith snail's shell. Can anyone ID it for me please? Is it a pest?

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/photo1_zps2bad4180.jpg.html'>photo1_zps2bad4180.jpg

Thank you

CollegeNanoKid

Quick Update: Got rid of the two Cerith Snails, went to get more snails and the fellow reefer had an awesome Hammer Coral and he gave me a really good deal so i couldn't pass it up! I love it! It opened up a lot the first day I put it in the tank. It seems to be happy. Dipped it in Revive. What do you think?

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/Hammer_zps6580c918.jpg.html'>Hammer_zps6580c918.jpg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/HammerandTank_zps8d1b6535.jpg.html'>HammerandTank_zps8d1b6535.jpg

Love that hmmer hows the light working my sis wants one of these and she is not ready to drop big bucks on a light worst case we add some evopico lightstrips

CollegeNanoKid

Love that hmmer hows the light working my sis wants one of these and she is not ready to drop big bucks on a light worst case we add some evopico lightstrips

So far the Hammer seems really happy, I think he is opening all the way. Time will tell. I don't plan on trying any SPS or anything to demanding. I might get one SPS just to test the light if I can get a cheap frag. So far I like the tank a lot, its still early though (~3 months)

Let me know if you have any other questions

Whats the flow like in it, my sister just knows basics and doesn't really plan on sps just lps and zoas. I myself am a noob, I've just been lurking for the past 8 months or so and I've gotten really good at terms and care requirements and parameters etc so I want to help my little older sis out as much as I can. Pics are always acceptable lol hint hint

CollegeNanoKid

Whats the flow like in it, my sister just knows basics and doesn't really plan on sps just lps and zoas. I myself am a noob, I've just been lurking for the past 8 months or so and I've gotten really good at terms and care requirements and parameters etc so I want to help my little older sis out as much as I can. Pics are always acceptable lol hint hint

The stock pump comes with a really narrow nozel adapter and it was blowing my sand around a lot creating a bare spot in the front corner of the tank. I found a part that came with my maxi-jet 900 (which I use to mix SW) and it fit on the nozel and helped break up the flow. Other than that I haven't messed with the stock flow yet. Flow seems good I actually had to move the hammer around because it was getting too much flow.

I will add more pictures as I get more livestock. I plan on building a media rack for the back compartment when I get a free day.

Happy Reefing!

CollegeNanoKid

Just got my Weldon #16 in the mail today...Look for an acrylic media rack DIY in the near future. I wish InTank made one for this tank but I didn't see one so I am going to do my best! Currently I am running filter floss and ChemiPure elite and some stock sponge I really want to get that stock sponge out of the back chamber but if I do that the back chamber water level drops too low. I'm hoping a media rack will slow the flow down enough to fix this issue so I can remove the stock sponge.

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/weldon16_zps88b50c59.jpg.html'>weldon16_zps88b50c59.jpg

• 2 months later...
CollegeNanoKid

Quick Update:

I love this little tank. My hammer coral and clown fish are doing well. I just added a duncan yesterday, I also added a tiny piece of candy cane coral. The duncan was open a few hours after an intense bath in Revive. The candy cane coral has its feeders out tonight once the light went off.

I have been going really slow with this tank. Still doing 2 gallon water changes every week.

Here are some Pictures! Enjoy! Sorry about the picture quality

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/FTSnewcoral_zpsc0c1f6bc.jpg.html'>FTSnewcoral_zpsc0c1f6bc.jpg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/DuncanJan_zps522e8af9.jpg.html'>

DuncanJan_zps522e8af9.jpg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/HammerJan_zpsd7f2321b.jpg.html'>HammerJan_zpsd7f2321b.jpg

Happy Reefing!

CollegeNanoKid

Was feeding my corals today and my Hammer decided to tell me he was very hungry and opened his mouth nice and wide, thought it was cool so I snapped a picture with my phone (sorry bad quality)

I spot feed the meaty parts of Rods food once a week to the corals and feed the clown every other day switching between Rods and New Life Spectrum pellets

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/HungryHammer2_zpsab11d8b4.jpg.html'>HungryHammer2_zpsab11d8b4.jpg

Happy Reefing! :)

CollegeNanoKid

I managed to chip my 8g CADLight in the corner, worried about structural integrity I ordered another CADlight 8g tank. I want to switch tanks. I am looking for advice please

Tank info:

-Tank is about 6 months old

- One clown fish

- about 10 snails mostly dwarf ceriths

-sandbed is less than 1" deep and I gravel vac 80% of it every week when I do my weekly 25% water change

-I have one duncan, one hammer, and one candycane coral

My plan:

1.) Put new "live" sand (less than 1" deep) in the new tank with 2 gallons of new water let it sit over night (same temp and salinity as old water in original tank)

2.) place corals in containers

3.) begin siphoning old water from old tank directly into new tank once I siphon about 4 gallons or the live rock is exposed I will move both pieces over to new tank.

4.) Transfer clownfish from tank 1 to tank 2

5.) siphon the remaining water while leaving a small amount over sand

6.) add corals to new tank

estimated time from start of #2 to end of #6 = ~30 min

75% of water in new tank will be "old" water and the live rock should never be exposed to the air. I am only worried about the sand.

My questions:

Does this seem like the best way to do this?

Should I rinse the live sand?

Will I have to worry about a new mini cycle?

Thank you for all your help. Happy Reefing!

I would ask if you could upgrade but seeing as its a "college" reef I'll take it as a no lol, it should be fine until the new tank arrives but the sooner the better... Be prepared with a bucket and all your equipment if an explosion happens

• 1 month later...
CollegeNanoKid

Update?

I know an update is way over due. Been super busy, I am still working on my graduate degree for Physical Therapy and been working in a lab also, that eats up most of my free time. I have still been doing 2 gallon water changes every week. Tank seems to be doing great, I have a lot of vermatid snails so I cut back on spot feeding the corals. I feed the clown every other day and the coral once a week.

Seen good growth. Hammer went from 1 head to 3 heads and has 2 mini heads starting at the base, My duncan has went from 4 heads to about 8 heads and my small candycane is splitting right now. All this under the stock CADlight LEDS. I don't dose or use a skimmer.

I love the tank.

As you may recall I put a serious chip in the tank a few months ago. after much debating I decided to order a new tank from CADlights. They sent me a new one right away. I realized when I got it that it was the newer version of the tank and the rear chamber was bigger to accommodate their new skimmer. I would not have minded but my live rock would not fit into the new display area and I did not want to have to break apart my rock during the tank transfer. I also specifically asked for the older version before I ordered. CADlights customer service is amazing and they shipped me out another new "older version" tank and Scott at CADlights told me to keep the other tank too. How amazing is that service! I have always been super happy with CADlights. All my tanks will come from them.

Here are some photos I just took tonight to respond to your request for an update.

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/FTSnew_zps7a088c1f.jpg.html'>FTSnew_zps7a088c1f.jpg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/newhammer_zpsc9ca36de.jpg.html'>newhammer_zpsc9ca36de.jpg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/newduncan_zpsf1f06e83.jpg.html'>newduncan_zpsf1f06e83.jpg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/candycane_zps3e6d0810.jpg.html'>candycane_zps3e6d0810.jpg

http://s1302.photobucket.com/user/zdawson5/media/newgomez_zps304d9779.jpg.html'>newgomez_zps304d9779.jpg

Happy Reefing!

CollegeNanoKid

Thanks for the update and the photos, very nice! I too love my Cadlights 8.

Mike

No problem! I am going to setup a QT tank for corals during my summer break so I am not going to add anything else to the tank until I get that setup. Is there a link to your build thread? I love looking at other CADlights

Archived