Sangheili's Innovative Marine Nuvo 24 - aka How I ruined my carpet

sangheili

FTS 09/07/2014

PdXYGNV.jpg

FTS 09/02/2014 (1yr 27days)

Pn0u7NJ.jpg

FTS 11/06/2013 (3 Months in!)

7kCqSAR.jpg

FTS 10/10/2013 (New tank up and running for a week now - adding some more coral)

ukUVvzP.jpg

FTS 09/26/13 (Tank Exploded - see page 8 of thread)

BCNgemZ.jpg

FTS 09/19/13

hop6Aij.jpg

FTS 08/24/13

ZzcYyUf.jpg

FTS 08/15/13

dMFHwz8.jpg

Updated 09/16/2014

Equipment

• Innovative Marine Media Baskets with Floss, Chemi-Pure, and Purigen
  • Innovative Marine Desktop Nano Reactor with Seachem Seagel
  • Apex with Temp/pH/ORP Probes, Leak Detector Module, VDM Module, and Auto Feeder
  • 2 Jebao WP10 controlled by Apex
  • Tunze 9002 Skimmer w/ InTank Slim Cup
  • Tunze Nano ATO
  • 100w Heater
  • OceanRevive (ReefBreeders) 120w Dimmable LED Light (Soon to be changed to DIY)
  • BRS Value RO/DI
  • Arag-Alive Live Sand
  • 20 pounds of Pukani Dry Rock from BRS

Fish

• Rubisquamis Terminal Phase Fairy Wrasse
  • Spotted Mandarin Dragonet
  • Female (Grey) Yellow Watchman Goby
  • 2 ORA Yellow Assessor

Inverts

• 2 Randal's Pistol Shimp
  • 2 White Porcelain Crab
  • 2 Pedersen's Cleaner Shrimp
  • Green Porcelain Crab
  • 3 Sexy Shrimp
  • Pom Pom Crab
  • Massive Fire Shrimp
  • Red Striped Squat Lobster (awesome)
  • Strawberry Crab (awesome but almost never see him)
  • Halloween Hermit
  • Misc Hermits and Snails
  • Multiple Tridacna Clams

Corals

• TONS of Zoas/Palys
  • Acans
  • Torch Coral
  • Pagoda Cup
  • Xenia
  • 3 different Photosynthetic Gorgonians
  • Ricordia Florida
  • Ricordia Yuma
  • Rock/Flower Anemones
  • Maxi-Mini Anenomes
  • Pink Birdsnest SPS
  • Orange Leptastria
  • Toadstool Softie
  • Misc Mushrooms
  • Various others

Dosing/Feeding Schedule as of Sept 16th, 2014
Daily/Every other day feed tank with random mix of:
  • Hikari Marine S Pellets
  • Hikari Crab Cuisine
  • New Life Spectrum 1mm Pellets
  • PE Mysis (frozen)
  • Rod's Food (frozen)
Even days:
  • Zeovit Coral Vitalizer (1 drop)
  • Zeovit Sponge Power (1 drop)
  • Kent Iodide (1 drop)
1-2 times per week:
  • Zeovit Zeobak (1 drop)
  • Zeovit Coral Snow (10-20 drops)
  • Reef Chili (small pinch)
  • Phyto-Feast (10-20 drops)
  • PhycoPure Zooxanthellae (cap full)
In ATO water:
  • Brightwell Kalk+2 (1/2 tsp per gallon)
  • Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those tanks do have great dimensions, congrats! I would highly recommend on of IM's minimax reactors, I am running one and I love it (alot of peeps on here will agree).

Those tanks do have great dimensions, congrats! I would highly recommend on of IM's minimax reactors, I am running one and I love it (alot of peeps on here will agree).

Yes sir! I have 2 reactors on my Nuvo 24 and they work very well. Changing out media is a breeze. Looking forward to viewing the creation of this new aquarium.

Is it really that much better than using media baskets with the right media?

You can definitely do without the reactors if you are using media that does not require active flow through it. Most of the chemical media that we all use can be placed into the filter baskets, dropped into a sump or another compartment of the aquarium. I use several types of media so the reactors give me extra space to add it. I can adjust the flow in the reactor so that certain media tumble at a specific rate. Removing, cleaning and adding new media is also very easy and painless.

You can definitely do without the reactors if you are using media that does not require active flow through it. Most of the chemical media that we all use can be placed into the filter baskets, dropped into a sump or another compartment of the aquarium. I use several types of media so the reactors give me extra space to add it. I can adjust the flow in the reactor so that certain media ftumble at a specific rate. Removing, cleaning and adding new media is also very easy and painless.

Ah ok, think I will stick with putting stuff in the media baskets for now to cut down on costs.

Lighting choice will really depend on what type of corals you plan to keep. How much are you willing to spend? The Nuvo 24 is not very deep so many options will work well. If looks are important, there are many sleek designs. LED's, VHO's, metal halides, T5's, power compacts. This is an important decision but you really can have fun with it.

Which lighting options and systems are you thinking about? Let us know since many of us have differing opinions and may have some experience with and reviews on your choices.

Lighting choice will really depend on what type of corals you plan to keep. How much are you willing to spend? The Nuvo 24 is not very deep so many options will work well. If looks are important, there are many sleek designs. LED's, VHO's, metal halides, T5's, power compacts. This is an important decision but you really can have fun with it.

Which lighting options and systems are you thinking about? Let us know since many of us have differing opinions and may have some experience with and reviews on your choices.

Well my initial thought was to reuse the 2 bulb Current T5HO fixture I have from a tank I bought. It is 36" long and has the older style wire mounts not the plastic legs. To mount it I would need to either hang it somehow or custom make new wire legs to set it off the tank some as I think it may end up sitting on the glass cover of the Nuvo which I don't really want.

I have been looking at some LED options but I'm not sure I want to spend the money yet. I would prefer to have something that can rest of the glass ends of the tank (like Innovative Marine's 36" fixtures) but I guess I could rig up a hanging system if need be. I can't hang from the roof but I could do some stands that would sit under the tank inside that tank stand space and then go up the back of the tank, similar in concept to this:

KM420%20Crane%20Fork.jpg

The best value LED option I have found so far is the reefbreeders value fixture but mounting will require hanging.

Hi, I chose the maxspect 27" for mine. Got tired of doing my own custom mounting :)

I really love the look of the maxspect but I just can't bring myself to spend $400+ on a light.

Fair enough. BTW the maxspect comes with both a rail kit and wall mounting kit not that that is worth the $250 you saved :)

Still gonna look awesome and can't wait to see your tank.

Read some issues with the IM Skimmer producing Microbubbles and decided to change course.

Just placed an order for the follow:

Tunze 9002 Skimmer (Loose Magnet) w/ InTank Slim Cup

Hydor Koralia Nano 425

Nice buy with the LED lighting. I own the IM skimmer, and massive amounts of bubbles are produced in the beginning. It took the skimmer about 3 weeks to break in and I almost gave up on it during the time period. After the 3 weeks everything is working great and I only get some bubbles during feeding time. At least I know the skimmer is working.

I am really interested in the Tunze's performance. Please post a review when it's installed. Great progress thus far.

Read some issues with the IM Skimmer producing Microbubbles and decided to change course.

Just placed an order for the follow:

Tunze 9002 Skimmer (Loose Magnet) w/ InTank Slim Cup

Hydor Koralia Nano 425

Yep, had this problem with mine, it ended up in the trash can. I went with the eshopps nano skimmer and have never looked back :)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=25228

Question for everyone: Is there a relatively easy to keep anemone that will host my Clownfish and Porcelain crab? Is putting any anemone in a tank this small a very bad idea?

I have a very large purple gigantea anemone in my 220 gallon hosting two anemone crabs and two ocellaris clowns. It is possible to have this done but finding an anenome that will host both in a nano aquarium will be a bit more challenging. I would suggest skipping the anenome as they can move around the aquarium and sting other corals and inverts. There is also no guarantee that the anemone will host at all.

Others have had success with bubble tip anemones hosting both crabs and clowns together. This is just one suggestion. If you do decide to go for the combo, add the anemone in first before any fish/coral and allow it time to find a spot in your aquarium. An anemone needs time to plant its foot in the sand or rocks. By adding it first, there is no risk of it stinging corals as it tries to find a spot it likes. If you have a clown in the aquarium first, it may harrass the anemone to the point where it does not stick, closes up, and just floats around the aquarium.

Again, I suggest skipping the anemone all together. There are other great corals that do not move around and could act as a host for your clowns. Frogspawn, torches, hammers, leathers, and other corals all may work. You will have a greater piece of mind and still enjoy the clown coral relationship you hope to achieve.

Another question, can I mix different colored Clownfish? I already have the one Ocellaris, could I get something like a Picasso to go with him?

Yes, mixing them should work well as the Picasso is also a ocellaris clown. Just designed a bit different. You get into trouble when mixing different species such as a skunk clown and ocellaris as one example.

Archived