Top Shelf Aquatics

[Innovative Marine Nuvo 24] April Giveaway Build Thread

defender.TX

defender.TX

That sucks good luck hopefully nothing bad happens this tank was coming along and hopefully will again. Atleast you hadn't added tons of corals to the point your rocks were really encrusted and hard to get apart. Probably a dumb question but have the Jerry cans been used for gasoline before

Haha, not a dumb question - what I call "Jerry Cans" are 5 gallon polyurethane food grade F-Style jugs that I got at the LFS. So, I have some that have only ever transported RO water and some that have only ever transported Salt water. Since I rent, getting water back from the LFS is critical since I don't have my own RO unit.

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about your impending move. I know there is a lot of stress and anxiety from moving an aquarium but it can be done efficiently and effectively with no loss. You will find a ton of varying information regarding moving aquariums so it will be up to your instincts to find out what will best work for you.

I week ago I moved a Nuvo 16 to a Nuvo 24 in 2 hours time. Everything looked as it was within an hour. The key is planning and doing it as quickly but carefully as possible. Matching temperature was the key part for me. You have most of the logistics already and that is a very good start. I used all the old sand and water from the aquarium again. I did take this time to add 8 gallons of new RO/DI water like doing a water change.

Once everything was empty, I placed the sand in first. Next came the live rock and I made sure to push it down well into the sand so that it hit the bottom of the aquarium. This will ensure your sand dwellers will not cause cave ins. I placed a plate on the bottom to keep the added water from my tank from stirring up the sand. There was almost zero cloudiness using this method. Once the temperature of the water was matched I added my livestock. Turned on the pumps, skimmers, and reactors and had the lights dimmed low.

No losses were reported, corals adjusted within an hour, but the fish took a day to acclimate themselves to the new surroundings. This was just an overview of what I did. I have moved 6 aquariums including a 220 gallon reef, a 150 twice, a 75, a 16 Nuvo, and recently the Nuvo 24. I will happily report that with hundreds of corals and dozens of fish in all these moves, only a potters angel was lost.

Good luck with the move and if you have any additional questions please feel free to ask.

Sorry to hear about your impending move. I know there is a lot of stress and anxiety from moving an aquarium but it can be done efficiently and effectively with no loss. You will find a ton of varying information regarding moving aquariums so it will be up to your instincts to find out what will best work for you. I week ago I moved a Nuvo 16 to a Nuvo 24 in 2 hours time. Everything looked as it was within an hour. The key is planning and doing it as quickly but carefully as possible. Matching temperature was the key part for me. You have most of the logistics already and that is a very good start. I used all the old sand and water from the aquarium again. I did take this time to add 8 gallons of new RO/DI water like doing a water change. Once everything was empty, I placed the sand in first. Next came the live rock and I made sure to push it down well into the sand so that it hit the bottom of the aquarium. This will ensure your sand dwellers will not cause cave ins. I placed a plate on the bottom to keep the added water from my tank from stirring up the sand. There was almost zero cloudiness using this method. Once the temperature of the water was matched I added my livestock. Turned on the pumps, skimmers, and reactors and had the lights dimmed low. No losses were reported, corals adjusted within an hour, but the fish took a day to acclimate themselves to the new surroundings. This was just an overview of what I did. I have moved 6 aquariums including a 220 gallon reef, a 150 twice, a 75, a 16 Nuvo, and recently the Nuvo 24. I will happily report that with hundreds of corals and dozens of fish in all these moves, only a potters angel was lost. Good luck with the move and if you have any additional questions please feel free to ask.

Very well said.

Egginis do you have a nuvo 24 build thread

I do not yet, but will have one up this week. Thanks for the compliment Jay, now the pressure is really on.

Here you go!

Dude, always meant to ask... What is that huge galaxia looking thing in the middle? And I love your rics on the left island. The way you have it is like they're climbing and making the way to the top. Really cool.

Hurry start your thread so we can start bombing you with compliments.

defender.TX

Sorry to hear about your impending move. I know there is a lot of stress and anxiety from moving an aquarium but it can be done efficiently and effectively with no loss. You will find a ton of varying information regarding moving aquariums so it will be up to your instincts to find out what will best work for you. I week ago I moved a Nuvo 16 to a Nuvo 24 in 2 hours time. Everything looked as it was within an hour. The key is planning and doing it as quickly but carefully as possible. Matching temperature was the key part for me. You have most of the logistics already and that is a very good start. I used all the old sand and water from the aquarium again. I did take this time to add 8 gallons of new RO/DI water like doing a water change. Once everything was empty, I placed the sand in first. Next came the live rock and I made sure to push it down well into the sand so that it hit the bottom of the aquarium. This will ensure your sand dwellers will not cause cave ins. I placed a plate on the bottom to keep the added water from my tank from stirring up the sand. There was almost zero cloudiness using this method. Once the temperature of the water was matched I added my livestock. Turned on the pumps, skimmers, and reactors and had the lights dimmed low. No losses were reported, corals adjusted within an hour, but the fish took a day to acclimate themselves to the new surroundings. This was just an overview of what I did. I have moved 6 aquariums including a 220 gallon reef, a 150 twice, a 75, a 16 Nuvo, and recently the Nuvo 24. I will happily report that with hundreds of corals and dozens of fish in all these moves, only a potters angel was lost. Good luck with the move and if you have any additional questions please feel free to ask.

Thanks for the encouragement! I think from start to finish it will take only two hours, so hopefully my livestock will only be in bags/tupperware for 2 hours. Luckily I'm only moving about 5 miles away so the drive will be short.

I've moved a tank a few times. Usually I bought a bunch of 5gallon buckets and luckily it was a short distance away. Everything survived. GL though!

defender.TX

Update!

The tank is moved and everything is fine. I added more sand once I had it at the new location because I don't think I ever had enough to begin with - I prefer the look a lot more now. The Ricordea is open and the clowns are acting normal. The tank is really cloudy because of the new sand but as soon as it clears up I'll take a picture in the new house. As a bonus, since we're in a bigger house, I was able to move the tank from my bedroom into the living room.

Cameron6796

Darn if you moved it today it would have been my birthday hah i guess it's good it went well hows the sand settling

Update!

The tank is moved and everything is fine. I added more sand once I had it at the new location because I don't think I ever had enough to begin with - I prefer the look a lot more now. The Ricordea is open and the clowns are acting normal. The tank is really cloudy because of the new sand but as soon as it clears up I'll take a picture in the new house. As a bonus, since we're in a bigger house, I was able to move the tank from my bedroom into the living room.

Bigger house, bigger aquarium :) Glad to hear the move went well and I am looking forward to seeing some pics.

So I finally gave the tank a little TLC yesterday since I've been so focused on the move. Water change, glass cleaning, and I picked up a new Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp to liven it up a little bit. I figure he'll be cool to watch with his long antenna on the rock. Updated pics tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally! An update with pics! Things have been happening with this tank even though I haven't had much time to update the thread. One thing that I already touched on is that I added a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp. He has been really awesome and is very lively. The clowns seem to really enjoy him as well. I moved the Ricordea onto the rock in the hopes that it will latch on instead of blowing around my sand like a tumbleweed. Finally, I picked up two Zoanthid frags for $7 total! I wasn't planning on buying any new coral that day because the Ricordea actually started to bleach right after the move (about half of it is totally bleached right now), but when I saw the price I couldn't pass them up. First a new full tank shot (my Turbo is doing his best to camouflage my powerhead :D):

9570216060_0865266c0e_b.jpg

9570214584_614a1c9924_b.jpg

The clowns are getting big and turning a darker color:

9570215666_5cd9b69897_b.jpg

Zoas

Like I already mentioned, I got two new Zoanthid frags. One of them is three smaller polyps on an old Cerith snail shell and the other is one large polyp on a dead piece of chalice coral. The smaller polyps have a bright green disk with a purple outer ring and yellowish nubs. The larger polyp has a purple disk with orange and pink specks on the outer nubs. Both have amazing color under my lighting, the pictures don't even do it justice! They looked much more dull in the store so I was very happy when I got them into the tank and they opened up. These first two are under roughly 14K light:

9567420657_f00a1755a9_b.jpg

9570215402_03f44cb919_b.jpg

Actinic:

9567422373_a35280d959_b.jpg

9570216420_9cd872a0ef_b.jpg

What's next? Austin Aquadome has some awesome Highlighter Trumpets for $9 that I've got my eye on and a tank full of beautiful common LPS/SPS for $39/frag that I want to dive into. In an attempt to salvage the Ricordea that's started to bleach I've got my lights down at 50% and I'm going to start feeding the tank BRS Reef Chili. I'm hoping I can bring it back and grow out the new Zoas into some nice colonies to move onto my rocks.

Also, I know that I eventually want to get LPS/SPS in the tank so I need to figure out how I want to dose Calcium. I'm currently thinking about the BRS 2 part system + Magnesium or Kalkwasser in my ATO water. We'll see, I'm not sure which direction to go yet but I have time to get it figured out.

Finally, I've discovered tiny Aiptasia in the tank, quite a few - maybe 10 tiny heads. I've heard that people have had good results with Peppermint shrimp eating them when they are this small, so I'm going to give that a try. Any heads that get large enough that the shrimp won't eat them I'm going to hit with Aiptasia X. Wish me luck!

Archived