----------------------------------------

i. pictures & video

full tank shot: 8/20/13 (very outdated)

loNIETx.jpg

TMBoiQq.jpg

gR6PFp4.jpg

Youtube 30second Video (8/20/13):

ii. introduction & history

I purchased this tank from PicOAquariums. I wanted a small species tank to feature Ricordea florida. I will also keep a small number of sexy shrimp and glass shrimp. The idea is to create a beautiful Ricordea garden with a regular and steady maintenance schedule that promotes growth.

iii. equipment

tank: PicO Is
total system volume: 5.5g
display volume: 4g
aquarium length: 12"
aquarium width: 12"
aquarium height: 9"
glass thickness: 1/4"
glass type: low-iron
seams: clear
aio sump depth: 3"
desk: IKEA Norden Dining Table
dimensions: 87x40x30"
lighting: Maxspect 60W R420R Nano 16000K
lighting mount: 1x1' black acrylic
flow: return pump (Rio+ 400)
substrate: CaribSea Ocean Direct Oolite
rock: FHI Real Reef aquacultured liverock
heater: Cobalt Neo-Therm 25w
media: Seachem Purigen & Seagel, Coralife Pureflow Fine Filter Pad
glass cleaner: Vertex Simplex & Kent Pro Scraper II
test kits: Red Sea Ca/Mg/Alk & NO3, Refractometer, Hanna Checker Phosphorous
water: SpectraPure 4-Stage RO/DI (0TDS) & Red Sea Coral Pro

iv. livestock

shrimp: Mary & Gary: 2 Sexy Shrimp (Thor amboinensis), Mariann (Periclimenes pedersoni), Bobo (Periclimenes yucatanicus), & John Stamos (Periclimenes venustus)

coral: Florida Ric morphs (Ricordea florida)
cuc: Florida Ceriths, and a Reef Cleaner Crew of Dwarf Cerith, Dwarf Planaxis, Virgin Nerites, & ZigZag Periwinkles
v. planned upgrades & livestock additions

Upgrade Maxspect Nano to NanoBox Tide

vi. maintenance & dosing

water changes: Monday, Thursday & Sunday: 18% (1gal); Filter Pad Change

water tests: Monday: N-NO3, KH, PO4

media changes: 1st of the Month: Seagel; As Needed: Purigen

feeding schedule: Three Times Weekly Mon/Wed/Sat: Fauna Marin Medium LPS Pellets; Occasionally: PE Mysis soaked in Selcon

top off: manual, three times daily w/ RO/DI @ 10am/4pm/10pm

lighting schedule: automatic, TP1 7:00 0% 1%; TP2 9:30 25% 60%; TP3 13:30 50% 90%; TP4 15:00 25% 60%; TP5 19:00 10% 30%; TP6 20:00 0% 1%

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are just doing sexies and rics, don't bother with feeding anything more than pellet food and phyto.

Are you sure you want to use all that cash on a ric species tank? Especially for such a small size. You look like you're going to spend hundreds on something that needs very little actual care. I infer that this is your first tank, so why not go for a mixed tank? That will be more worth the money, plus you can get something like a 10 or 20 fro just a few extra $. And you can still have rics.

But it looks like you have done a lot of research, and that is one nice shopping list. If that's what you want, go for it!

EDIT: That thermometer looks pricey when a cheap one will do. Same with the light; just use a par38. use the saved money to buy an RO/DI, or make that your first upgrade. If your LFS sells RO/DI, then okay, but your own is still a great thing to have.

My PicO should be ready to ship any day now, and I have most of the equipment already so we are far past the initial planning stages :] One of the reasons I chose the equipment I did is value retention, and I feel confident in my purchases there.

I just love Ricordea!

EDIT: That thermometer looks pricey when a cheap one will do. Same with the light; just use a par38. use the saved money to buy an RO/DI, or make that your first upgrade. If your LFS sells RO/DI, then okay, but your own is still a great thing to have.

I really like the low-profile look of ADA Glass Thermometers like this one, but I couldn't find anyone who stocked them. I haven't heard anything about the Hydra Aquatics version, and I do agree that it's overpriced, but I'm happy to pay a few extra bucks for style. The Seneye Reef will work as the primary thermometer once it's installed.

If I already had an aquarium controller I would have went with dimmable PAR38 bulbs, hands down. I might still order some for future projects anyway, the price is great and there are a few Nano-Reef sponsors I'd like to support who sell them.

My LFS will provide RO/DI for the time being, but a SpectraPure RO/DI System is a planned upgrade as soon as I expand to a frag and QT tank or move into a house with a dedicated fish room (Whichever comes first.) I'll have a better idea of how much water I use once the tank and set up and evaporating.

Woohoo! Finally right?! Another thread to follow yay!

Very nice write up this far. That's so weird that you mentioned the ADA thermometer, I just ordered me over the weekend. I was sick of looking at the ugly Marina one :P

Seems like you have definitely done your research!

Quick Update on PicO Tank Shipping:
UPS Scheduled Delivery Monday, 04/01/2013, By End of Day

I will buy a couple things to get ready and post pictures of hardware starting tomorrow! Tank will get wet as soon as it's delivered.

So stoked for you! Looks like you have all the planning and equipment down pretty good. I actually like the idea of a ricordia tank, they are beautiful when you put different morphs together. I will for sure be following! By the the I got one of the glass thermometers from hydra aquatics and it was over 10* off, needless to say I wouldn't trust it. I now have a reef keeper for temp control as well as a handheld temp probe to double check if needed.

Mr. Microscope

Can't wait to see it develop!

BTW, you won't need Julian's Thing. Just a small plastic pipette or tweezers will do. With water that shallow, you'll hardly have to get your hands wet.

From where are you planning to get your rics?

supermarvin76

Quick Update on PicO Tank Shipping:UPS Scheduled Delivery Monday, 04/01/2013, By End of Day

I will buy a couple things to get ready and post pictures of hardware starting tomorrow! Tank will get wet as soon as it's delivered.

Me like pictures.

Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

Hydra Aquatics thermometer being off: thanks for the heads-up @Tristan! I was planning on getting a second thermometer later but it sounds like I'll pick one up with the liverock. I might harass Jordon and ask him where he ordered his ADA glass hang-on.

@Mstefa - I've been looking into SpectraPure products (they're local) and I'm absolutely getting a TDS meter. The RO/DI unit I'm looking at has two on it.

@MrMicro RE:Julian's Thing: absolutely not needed, but just a cool, (relatively) cheap gadget. I can use it to baste rocks and things too, and I'm big into Julian Sprung.

As for pictures and updates, I'm so sorry! I've been getting into reefing so much I decided to take the plunge and ask a well respected local LFS owner and coral propagator for an apprenticeship. I'm waiting to move into the larger shop later this week but I've been hanging out at the shop and talking to him during all the free hours I've had. I'll be getting all my livestock from this LFS (constantly cycling coral - mostly acans, zoas, and palys but they get some good ricordea color morphs too.)

Tomorrow is the day! The tank should be on a truck and here tomorrow. Reef Culture is open until 7, so I plan on picking up the water jugs (filled with fresh RO/DI and saltwater,) liverock (someone bought almost all the cultured Real Reef this week when I checked yesterday,) and any last minute supplies. Prepare yourselfs for tons of pictures from my boyfriend's DSLR!

Woohoo! Tomorrow can't come soon enough!

I ordered mine from a Canadian site called AngelFins. the only thing is they only ship within Canada :/ I should hopefully be getting it this week, so i'll post some pics for you, so you can decide if it's something you still want :)

Nice of your boyfriend to let you borrow his DSLR. Can't wait for those pics!

Im excited that its coming tomorrow and its not even my tank haha. My girlfriend has a dslr as well so im always bugging her to bring it lol.

Also, I know it's not a PicO, but until I can afford a custom naked one I have pre-drilled Solana 34g Rimless Cube, Trigger Systems Acrylic Sump, and Reef Octopus NWB-110 protein skimmer that I picked up for a reasonable price off craigslist. BOTH build threads will be wet by the end of the week B)

Also, I know it's not a PicO, but until I can afford a custom naked one I have pre-drilled Solana 34g Rimless Cube, Trigger Systems Acrylic Sump, and Reef Octopus NWB-110 protein skimmer that I picked up for a reasonable price off craigslist. BOTH build threads will be wet by the end of the week B)

Holy awesomeness! You are just jumping right in. Good on you. Can't wait to see more. I swear, two of the most exciting parts: Planning and Waiting Haha :lol:

Holy awesomeness! You are just jumping right in. Good on you. Can't wait to see more. I swear, two of the most exciting parts: Planning and Waiting Haha :lol:

Seriously, now that my tank is stable and happy im thinking I cant help but miss the planning stages of everything.. I also wish i would have made a better rocks cape, dont get me wrong i like what i have going but i feel like i could have taken more advantage of the space i have.

There's no reason to ever stop planning, in my opinion. Doesn't mean it's going to happen, but I have a lot of time on my hands, haha. I'm already dreaming about a big 200g 'PicO' for a blonde naso tang and a longhorn cowfish :wub: . Get one of those ridiculously nice looking protein skimmers and start squirtin ZeoVit supplements in like I'm in a rap video. :haha:

You guys can give me a bank loan, right? B)

supermarvin76

And this is how it begins....

Archived