SaltCritters.com

7 Gallons, Cadlight Zen(Invert Reality, coming soon 12/27/2013))

MGDMIRAGE

Going to turn into a crab and shrimp tank with lps and sps. I may remove the false sand bed so that pistol shrimp can be part of the setup. 12/27/2013

I finally had to take the plunge and see the actual quality of these new Cadlight Zen series aquariums since their price is just insanely cheap. I am beyond pleasantly surprised at the amazing quality and find myself staring at the empty tank quite often. Once looking over all the sizes I decided to try out the 7 gallon as the dimensions reminded me of my all time favorite tank which is a 5.5 gallon but this 7 gallon is a bit wider and a bit taller yet same length(16").

I received the tank within 3 days of ordering it and here are some pics of the quality.

This is my first low iron tank and wow it just looks so gorgeous compared to the dark green regular plate glass!

FTS 6/16/2013

003-3_zpsb22d599b.jpg

IMG_99111280x853_zpsad5c03b5.jpg

IMG_99081280x1280_zpsf1ef7afe.jpg

IMG_9907946x1280_zps51a8e1d9.jpg

IMG_99061280x851_zps17372c7a.jpg

I should also mention this tank only costed $57 shipped which to me seems like pure insanity! This will be an SPS and Zoanthid tank, I have changed my mind :)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something fancy, another external overflow setup like my 15 gallon. The 15 gallon was my prototype now I know what to do better.

this is gonna be epic. such a good idea imo

Hope it works out well. The smaller hole will be a 3/4" return that is hooked up to a SCWD where it splits to two returns one at each end of the tank so hoping to get some decent wave motion with no equipment at all in the tank this time besides the floating returns that is.

The overflow box will actually be just as tall as the tank unlike the picture so it won't be hanging on the tank at all just resting on stand with the tank.

How much flow can a 1.5" bulkhead take?

this site is dangerous, i literally just set up my picotope 2 days ago and seeing yours makes me want to buy a 3g zen instead and switch everything over :(

Okay the stupid scary part is done and yeah low iron glass is a bit weaker as I ended up getting little chips along the cut but they are very small and won't matter.

IMG_99201280x1242_zps94184d3f.jpg

this site is dangerous, i literally just set up my picotope 2 days ago and seeing yours makes me want to buy a 3g zen instead and switch everything over :(

Haha, I cannot believe the quality of this thing for the price, you literally cannot beat it. The seams are dead on, the glass is beveled, the silicone is virtually invisible.

danimal1211

Wow great ideas so far. I hadn't even thought about a SCWD in a few years. Do you have experience with them as far as reliability?

Wow great ideas so far. I hadn't even thought about a SCWD in a few years. Do you have experience with them as far as reliability?

I've never used one but have had one sitting new in a box for like a year and a half so figure i'll give it a shot hehe. I hear they last a lot longer if you keep the water pretty well filtered before entering it.

DIY Overflow Teeth for about $2.50.

IMG_99231280x853_zpsf6e5ee52.jpg

They will be painted black with krylon and ruffed up on other side and epoxied to the tank. The comb teeth were cut down to 1" length.

They are roughly 6" each and I cut them with a dremel.

hahaha thats awesome. what you gonna do about a sump?

20 gallon long lol. It will start un baffled but I don't currently have a skimmer for this tank and I want this thing to have some SPS along with zoas and softies.

Or a 10 gallon tank I already have baffled I dunno, I really like adding large volumes to small displays though.

Looks awesome so far shawn cant wait to see it in action

Thanks Eugene, glad to have you grace my thread as you are one of the greatest inspirations for originality in the nano-reefing community!

id do the 20 long imo. like it has been said you cant have enough water volume

Decided then! You are right and whomever originally said that :)

I gotta save up for a skimmer and some baffles now.

haha well thanks man.

if youre thinking of a skimmer that cheap and good. id go with reef octopus

http://www.aquacave.com/Reef-Octopus-NWB-110-Needle-Wheel-Protein-Skimmer-P702.aspx

I'm thinking more like;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-direct-sale-65-Gallon-Protein-Skimmer-SCA-301-/190720710934?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c67d71916

great price and very small space taken up.

• 2 weeks later...

Box is installed and so are teeth.

IMG_99471280x853_zps91fc9b21.jpg

Fresh hole for 1.5" bulkhead, i went on back instead so i can vent it and not have to do some funky silencer.

IMG_99431280x662_zps1157ff67.jpg

I would have never guessed about those teeth. :bowdown:

I'm hoping they comb the water and leave little to no knots :)

Archived