ReefCleaners.org

The V1000

jestep

Current FTS:

IMG_0230_1024.jpg

IMG_0225_1024.jpg

Started a spec-v pico. Figured I might as well do a build thread here. Going to be a ricordea and soft coral tank. Probably going to do sexy shrimp, but do not have any plan for fish inhabitants.

spec-v-startup.jpg

Built a rapid LED fixture:

IMAG0773-(Custom).jpg

pico-led.jpg

pico-led-2.jpg

pico-rock-1.jpg

pico-rock-2.jpg

Just finished cycling the tank, so should start adding my ricordea when I get back from a vacation next week. This is a low budget build, so planning on keeping the costs as low as possible. Will probably throw down for an ATO at some point because I can't stand topping off water.

Equipment:
Fluval spec-v tank
Rapid LED fixture (3 - 3W Royal Blue, 3 - 5W Cool White, Cree LED's)
Going to add a few other LED's for better spectrum
Stock Pump
50W Hydor Heater

Current hardscape setup:
3/4" Caribsea special grade sand
2.5# of BRS pukani dry rock

Planned Livestock:
10 - 20 ricordea
Purple and Blue Cespitularia
Several photosynthetic gorgonians
Some red macro for color
Squadron of sexy shrimp

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice start, I dig the rockwork.

Thanks. Trying to keep it as open as possible. Very little rock which is part of the reason I may go completely fishless.

Nice, I'm following. Looking at possibly doing this tank later. Have a 2g spec now and it's just not enough. :)

:D upgradesss are always the best

I didn't realize there were this many Spec II and Spec V's here. I just followed about 10 just on the first 2 pages of the pico forum.

• 3 weeks later...

About 6 hours after adding a bunch of ebay ricordia yesterday. Got a good deal of about $5 each. Colors aren't mind blowing but for $5 they are very good.

IMAG0914%20(Custom).jpg

IMAG0911%20(Custom).jpg

IMAG0909%20(Custom).jpg

IMAG0908%20(Custom).jpg

jtwisconsin

I'm following your build as well - getting ready to start my own Spec V.

Quick question - can you show us how you mounted the new light fixture?

I'm following your build as well - getting ready to start my own Spec V.

Quick question - can you show us how you mounted the new light fixture?

I'll try to remember to get a picture. I basically used 2 eye bolts. The nut sits in the channel in the center of the heat sink. I just tightened the bolt and it is really secure. Hung with some framing wire and a long shelf bracket.

Are you keeping the stock filter sponge and the carbon and those white things :P?

Right now I am using just the foam and some carbon, no ceramic rings. Will probably craft a shelf rack with some acrylic when I need to change out the foam.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing major changed. Added some red dragon macro from my main tank sump. A bit tough to keep it in one place since it wont attach to anything and it's impossible to glue. Hoping it will grow under the very blue spectrum lights.

IMAG0962%20(Custom).jpg

IMAG0959%20(Custom).jpg

IMAG0958%20(Custom).jpg

IMAG0957%20(Custom).jpg

• 1 month later...

Any update on this tank.Im looking at maybe getting one of these or the aqueon evo.

Here's one from yesterday. Had a bit of a diatom outbreak that I was waiting out.

My AC was out for about 5 days so the tank water temp got up to 90 during the day for a few days. 1 ric bleached but everything else looks good. Not much changed otherwise. Just taking it slow.

IMAG0976%20(Custom).jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Ricordea are growing great. Some have 3 or 4 mouths already. Still no livestock. Since I have only done a water change or two, I'm seriously on the fence of not ever adding any fish at all.

IMG_0105_1024.jpg

IMG_0118_back.jpg

IMG_0114_1024.jpg

IMG_0121_1024.jpg

IMG_0110_1024.jpg

Here's the poor guy I bleached. Still hanging on though.

IMG_0123_1024.jpg

No Fish = Less Feedings, cleaner tank and NO worries when your on Vacation about your "sitter" messing up and crashing your tank.

Just build a large ATO for when your away for a weekend or two...

Nice macro growth! Could you show more of the light mod? I see the change in color with new LEDs added, what did you end up sticking with?

Archived