Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Nuvo 8 Journey

Bobyboy

I recently picked up the Innovative Marine Nuvo 8 gallon white for a steal at 160.00 shipped, so I have decided to break down my 2.5g AGA that has been surviving but not thriving.

So far I have the following hardware.

Tank

Nuvo Spinstream

Maxijet 900

Theo 50w heater

inTank Media Basket

inTank fuge

15lb bag of figi pink LS

I'm debating about adding a second of the 14k LED lights or using a custom LED kit I picked up last year to mount into a BC29 hood.

Also debating about adding in a MP10 or some other powerhead.

I have 2 pounds of live rock in the AGA that I plan to transfer over I haven't decided for sure if I want to just buy 6-8 LBs cured from a local FS or order a 10 lbs from www.GulfLiveRock.com.

I don't have any plans for livestock I dunno if I want to do a pair of clowns but if I do it will be black/onyx pair.

A Yasha, tiger pistol pair is a must have.

Zoa's, colored duncan, Cinnamon grandis, Aussie Dendro are all in the future.

My current Livestock and Hardware List 9-10-13

Hardware

I have the following hardware.

Tank

Nuvo Spinstream

Maxijet 1200 return pump

Nano CL-85 chiller

koralia nano 425

Mp10

Theo 50w heater

inTank Media Basket

inTank fuge

JBJ Nano Glo

10lb of figi pink LS

10 Lbs of premium LR

Reefkeeper elite net

I have a DIY custom LED setup

Includes 24 3 watt crees with a 2:1 ratio blue to white.

8 CREE XP-E R3 Cool White 3W LED On Star

16 CREE XP-E Royal Blue 3W LED On Star

They are driven by a Nanocustoms Duo 700 LED Driver. This has 2 700ma drivers that are on sliders and 3way rocker switch but also has a 0-10v input. I am running mine with the reefkeeper for the dusk dawn effect.

The LEDs are all on a Nanocustom heatsink and attached with BJB Solderless LED Connectors on Quadica thermal heat tape

Livestock

Black Ice clown

Rainbow/Tri color BTA

Yellow corsis wrasse

Pom Pom crab

Nerites

Ceriths

Astreas

Fiji blues

Fire and ice

Green Bay packers

Red hornets

Chuckys brides

God of war

Rastas 20+p

Wobegongs 2p

Candy apple reds 2p

Rose nebula 1p

Sunny d 1p

Bbeb 3 p

Pink zip 2p

Jf atomic sunrise (bam bam's)

gates of hell lepastria

German blue digitata

Common green, red, purple shrooms

Green Dream Pallies

GSP

Clove polyps

Devils Finger leather

Lavender Hairy mushroom

Baby jawbreaker

Superman rhodactis

Nuclear Sunset Ric

Got my rock and a bag of Fiji pink sand this weekend.
I didn't take any pictures unboxing but here is one with the rock in it and moonlights on.

post-71858-0-83465600-1360001906_thumb.jpg

If you're using the inTank basket and fuge, where are you putting your heater? Did you fill the back return pump chamber higher to accommodate the heater? Mine is only about half way filled with my heater in the spot where the inTank fuge would go.

Polarcollision

Watch your water levels with the heater in the pump chamber. It evaporates so fast it was no longer submerged and the water temp dropped. You have plenty of flow with the MJ900 for the corals you're keeping, IMHO.

Edit: also - Pics, please!

Here are some updated pictures after the transfer, I tried making a tiered ledge of a scape I may play around with it some more. Let me know what you think, none of the frags are in a permeant spot.

Last pic,

I dunno why they are being uploaded sideways!

post-71858-0-71683300-1360430292_thumb.jpg

post-71858-0-02183500-1360430302_thumb.jpg

post-71858-0-45068200-1360430310_thumb.jpg

post-71858-0-75340000-1360430389_thumb.jpg

I see that you have a nuvo spinstream in your tank, I bought one at my LFS and I have not opened it since I have read a lot of discouraging reviews on it. (loudness and pumping slower). I was debating if I should go back to the LFS and return it and get an upgraded pump instead? I have everything in my NUVO 8 stock at the moment. I know I need better water flow. Thanks

Yeah it defiantly restricts flow, you will need a upgraded pump no matter what.

Mine made a little noise the first day but I guess after it "broke in" it quieted down.

Updates:

I've made a few purchases.

RKL plus with ALC

2 different par 38 bulbs.

So I've got 2 par38's so which one do You guys think is better?

I will post pics over the weekend.

The tank display dimensions are aprox 12Hx12Wx10L

First one

12X 1.2W LEDs: 4 - 10,000K white, 4 - 14,000K white, 4 - 453 nm Actinic Blue

Second one

4X 3w 453 Actinic 3x 3w 10,000K White

Or use both with a simulated dusk/dawn with the more blue one coming on first or is that just straight up to much light?

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Since the swap to the dual par 38's everything looks super happy.

I've made a few additions.

I finally found a Helfrichi firefish and am just going to add a Yasha as my second and final fish.

I've also picked up a few more corals over the past 3 weeks.

Fire and ice zoa's

A candy cane colony

Small tongue coral

GSP

Brown and green pally's

And top top it off a smll tri-color BTA

I'm getting a error when uploading so here are some links.

imageiqcu.jpg

imageoob.jpg

imagelnl.jpg

Polarcollision

Love the placement of the candycane. What's the red coral tha tlooks like fat lips near it? Pretty sweet-looking!

Zoom pic of the zoas with orange skrit and mouth please!

A candy cane colony
Small tongue coral
imageoob.jpg

Love the placement of the candycane. What's the red coral tha tlooks like fat lips near it? Pretty sweet-looking!

Zoom pic of the zoas with orange skrit and mouth please!

Thanks, that is a type of "Red" candy cane coral. I have no clue what type but it's probably 2-3 times bigger then the standard green heads. I epoxied it into the green colony in hopes that I could get it the grow and spread giving me a nice red and green colony.

I'll get a picture of the Zoa's tomorrow when the lights are one, they where sold to me as "Fire and Ice" zoa's.

Polarcollision

Thanks, that is a type of "Red" candy cane coral. I have no clue what type but it's probably 2-3 times bigger then the standard green heads. I epoxied it into the green colony in hopes that I could get it the grow and spread giving me a nice red and green colony. I'll get a picture of the Zoa's tomorrow when the lights are one, they where sold to me as "Fire and Ice" zoa's.

Great idea -- it's going to look amazing as it branches and gows in.

Polarcollision

Here are a few up close shots off the orange zoa's

imageifz.jpg

imagekyg.jpg

I thought you had a colony of clementines from the original pic and was thinking I'd have to steal them. ;) The fire and ice are just as gorgeous. Love them!

Oh! Are those brownish palys I see in the background? If it's what I think it is, they're the ones that are supposed to have higher concentration of palytoxin. Be careful with those!

Yeah those are just run of the mill brown paly's, I've had them in my bc14 in the past and never had issues and I'm not planning to boil them any time soon.

I might just get rid of them before they migrate off the frag discs so I can get my red hornets in the tank.

cyclonewxchick

If you haven't decided on an mp10, I'd say go for it! Mine works really well in my Nuvo 8, and the nutrient transport mode works wonders to blast the detritus towards the filter

If you haven't decided on an mp10, I'd say go for it! Mine works really well in my Nuvo 8, and the nutrient transport mode works wonders to blast the detritus towards the filter

I had a mo10 I bought from a member on here that stopped working and flashes red/green after a week or 2 of use.

For now I've got a koralia nano 425 until I can find another "reasonably" priced one. I'm sorry but a 10% discount on a used out of warranty item is no "Deal" so hopefully I can find one around 175-180 soon.

cyclonewxchick

I had a mo10 I bought from a member on here that stopped working and flashes red/green after a week or 2 of use. For now I've got a koralia nano 425 until I can find another "reasonably" priced one. I'm sorry but a 10% discount on a used out of warranty item is no "Deal" so hopefully I can find one around 175-180 soon.

That stinks :/

• 4 months later...

Well it's been a while since I updated this post so here are some horrible pics and details.

Shortly after my last update I added a yasha haze goby that was apparently infected with ich and ended up loosing both of my fish, so I went fish-less for a solid 2 months until the second week of June.

Since then I've only added a frag of Pocillopora coral, a beautiful green colony and a colony of white/brown of zoa's, I fought off a invasion of flat worms which went crazy during my decontamination period during that battle my candy cane coral started to melt and I ended up loosing about half of the green heads. I set up my 2.5g AGA as a quarantine tank for it to recover in and it has been doing great.

But ever since I nuked the tank with flat worm exit and added the Yellow coris wrasse they have not made a come back.

I picked up a tiny Black Ice clown the third week of june for 35.00 and it immediately took to my BTA that made me super happy.

I finally got around to hanging my DIY LED setup from the ceiling and it has made everything really pop, I moved one of my PAR38 bulbs over the 2.5g and ditched the hood with the compacts.

My 2.5g AGA quarantine tank has turned into a full blown mini frag tank currently housing the recovering candy cane along with frags of nepthea, mushrooms, a encrusting chalice and a small Acan that started out with 2 heads and now has almost 10.

I know my pics are crappy, I'm currently fighting a algae bloom from crappy RODI water.

FTS

lfs0.th.jpg fpzg.th.jpg

l1x8.th.jpg pi28.th.jpg 1uws.th.jpg oct6.th.jpg

dn3m.th.jpg wehi.th.jpg 24di.th.jpg 3p00.th.jpg

Polarcollision

It's filling in nicely! Love your nem. Hey - what are the white spots on your glass. I thought I made out a skirt of some kind around one.

• 2 weeks later...

Sun coral is sold, now I have a empty cave area.

I'm not sure what o put there maybe just leave it open for now.

My 2.5g is a full on frag tank now with a AC70 and AC20 for filtration and flow. I made a rack out of egg crate for the frags that I have.

It is already full with what I took from my display tank and a few others I've picked up.

Well it's time to upgrade my 2 individual RKL units into a single RKE system.

I got a great deal on the following for 450.00

Everything is 2 months old or newer.

1 x RKE head unit

1 x NET - NET Interface Module

2 x SLI - System Lab 1

1 x DA pH Probe (with calibration packets)

1 x Pinpoint pH Probe (with calibration packets)

2 x DA Temperature Probes

4 x PC4 - Power Controller 4

1 x MLC - Moonlight Controller with 2 Nocturnal Blue Pods

1 x SW5 - Switch Module (4 x Switch Ports + 1 x Relay Port)

Archived