Pod Your Reef

Oceanarium Imaginarium 80's Slurricane Wonderventure

Deckoz2302

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes yes it does. Dave and I have been tossing back ideas. I think this will be daves first 48inch nanobox (not so nano now dave haha)With t5 retro...and it will look sexy.Now someine help me decide on t5 bulbs lol purple plus and what else haha...flcandy, rehype...im calling you :o

For about six months I had T5's supplementing my Radion.......

And? Im confused by this statement
So whats everyonea verdict on the scape?

Scape looks great dude. I dig it, bunch of good places for coral placement and plenty of room for fishes.

If you're gonna use that many T5 bulbs, I would have them be your 'daylight' bulbs and use the LEDs for your actnics.

They will be my high noons

Wow...love the scape. Both the arch and the small pillars on the right.

Lol my wife had rhe same reaction. She kep saying what I was doing was gonna look stupid. And I was like look woman let me work since you cant imagine anything. When I was done all she could say was wowww haha

• Like 1
Scape looks great dude. I dig it, bunch of good places for coral placement and plenty of room for fishes.

Thanks man. Im tearing the rocks back out with the arch. Im chiselling a tunnel through them :o

jedimasterben

They will be my high noons

Oh, gotcha. I wonder what it would be like if you used all 'true actinic' bulbs for your high noon, and hammer down on 430nm?

• Like 1
You never answered on why you hate feather dusters.
They're not that pretty haha...but I do love them for thier abilities. Which is why my fuge has about 50 of them lol. Coco worms for the display because theyre pretty colors. Feather dusters banishes to the fuge because they spawn so freaking much and they do a good job at filtering

Oh, gotcha. I wonder what it would be like if you used all 'true actinic' bulbs for your high noon, and hammer down on 430nm?
####ing epic photon ray lol
jedimasterben

They're not that pretty haha...but I do love them for thier abilities. Which is why my fuge has about 50 of them lol. Coco worms for the display because theyre pretty colors. Feather dusters banishes to the fuge because they spawn so freaking much and they do a good job at filtering

They are covering my rocks, what's left of my sand, and one even lives INSIDE the Koralia 4 that's in the sump. lol, that one has some serious balls.

####ing epic photon ray lol

I KNOW! I need new pants just thinking about it! I see people bitching on forums 'blah blah, they don't have a lot of PAR' but I don't think they realize that the Apogee PAR meter understates 430nm by almost a factor of three. I think the numbers I saw were like 130-140 mmol , so it would actually be more like 225-250 mmol, and of that light, it is about 90% dead-on photosynthetic spectra.

Good god, I think I know what I want to do for my tank.

They are covering my rocks, what's left of my sand, and one even lives INSIDE the Koralia 4 that's in the sump. lol, that one has some serious balls.

I KNOW! I need new pants just thinking about it! I see people bitching on forums 'blah blah, they don't have a lot of PAR' but I don't think they realize that the Apogee PAR meter understates 430nm by almost a factor of three. I think the numbers I saw were like 130-140 mmol , so it would actually be more like 225-250 mmol, and of that light, it is about 90% dead-on photosynthetic spectra.

Good god, I think I know what I want to do for my tank.

Haha yea...lol dude I thought long and hard. Between makers and radion pro. I didnt even realize dave was still around since I wasnt even around haha. Dave posted in his thread and as soon as he did and we talked I knew what I wanted. Ive always wanted to do a led t5 but never trusted myself to make it look good. Well to be honest the price Dave is charging for 108 leds on a completely custom heat sink with 4. 48 inch t5s is not that much different than doinf the build myself. Obviously labor and stuff is added on. But the look is uniform and sleek.

As I beleive Dave and I decided to call it. I have ordered my "NanoBox Pulsar"

jedimasterben

Haha yea...lol dude I thought long and hard. Between makers and radion pro. I didnt even realize dave was still around since I wasnt even around haha. Dave posted in his thread and as soon as he did and we talked I knew what I wanted. Ive always wanted to do a led t5 but never trusted myself to make it look good. Well to be honest the price Dave is charging for 108 leds on a completely custom heat sink with 4. 48 inch t5s is not that much different than doinf the build myself. Obviously labor and stuff is added on. But the look is uniform and sleek. As I beleive Dave and I decided to call it. I have ordered my "NanoBox Pulsar"

I wish I could just get the shell of the fixture and just put in the LEDs myself, that thing is bitchin' looking!

And the more I think about using violet LEDs as a high-noon, the more I need to change my pants.

• Like 1
I wish I could just get the shell of the fixture and just put in the LEDs myself, that thing is bitchin' looking!

And the more I think about using violet LEDs as a high-noon, the more I need to change my pants.

Send dave a message see if he would?

jedimasterben

Send dave a message see if he would?

Good point. Why the f didn't I think of that! lol

I'm glad you are back, man. it's great to bounce ideas off of you!

Good point. Why the f didn't I think of that! lol

I'm glad you are back, man. it's great to bounce ideas off of you!

Haha thanks man. It is nice when you have other people that know whats going on to talk to. Lol

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Haha thanks man. It is nice when you have other people that know whats going on to talk to. Lol

lol, tru dat!

The more I search around the internet for people using true actinic is a mix of mostly idiots saying that actinic bulbs won't grow coral, and that 'daylight' stuff is where it's at, and one dude even saying that corals don't use blue light, only 500nm+ lol. I almost pooped myself laughing so hard!

• Like 1

lol, tru dat!

The more I search around the internet for people using true actinic is a mix of mostly idiots saying that actinic bulbs won't grow coral, and that 'daylight' stuff is where it's at, and one dude even saying that corals don't use blue light, only 500nm+ lol. I almost pooped myself laughing so hard!

Or ourple dont orodice any par. .yada yad...bullshit lol

I say they're stupid and of course it wont grow anything without the rest of the spectrum like an led t5 combo...

Screenshot_2013-02-13-19-00-35-1_zpsd334

Yea buddy

Oh...and real fts yeaaa think ima put the sand in.....

20130213_192341-1_zps1f461643.jpg

jedimasterben

Or ourple dont orodice any par. .yada yad...bullshit lol

I say they're stupid and of course it wont grow anything without the rest of the spectrum like an led t5 combo...

Screenshot_2013-02-13-19-00-35-1_zpsd334

Yea buddy

Oh...and real fts yeaaa think ima put the sand in.....

20130213_192341-1_zps1f461643.jpg

And it's surprising how many people call it purple. You don't even know how many people ask why they should use purple LEDs. :lol:

• Like 1

"Or samoa pink + 2lb pure pink + 5lb tahitian moon (black)"

THIS!! That looks so good!

Thanks man

Screen top...check

20130214_121727_zps395b0ba4.jpg

Good way to spend some time while the girls are napping

20130214_105959_zpsda038213.jpg

Mission accomplished

• Like 3

And? Im confused by this statement

Due to my scape I had some shadowing with the Radion so I reconfigured the RSM T5's so they would light the front and back of the tank. It actually looked really good. I'm probably the only one that has ever done this with a Raqdion, lol.

And yet, the Apogee PAR meter performs surprisingly well compared to most more expensive units. If you can measure your lights separately you can get a pretty decent representation of your PAR numbers. For example, I correct Cree Royal blues by an extra 20%, Rebels by about 30%, 430s by 80%, and 405s ... I'm not so sure about 405s. Maybe 3X correction. If you're running white LEDs as your primary I'd also add about 5-10% to your numbers. Also, subract about 20% from any 660 nm Red measurement as the Apogee meter is highly sensitive to this wavelength of light.

I'm with you for using the T5s for your warm temperatures as long as you have enough LEDs in the 400-440 nm range. I'd probably throw in one blue plus bulb as well. For your four bulbs, I'd recommend 1 Purple Plus, 2 Coral Plus bulbs, and 1 Blue Plus. ATI Blue Plus bulbs are still extremely helpful for rounding out the 390-460nm spectrum. If the lowest wavelength LEDs you are using are Rebel royal blues, you might want to swap a coral plus bulb for another blue plus or a true actinic bulb.

Archived