Innovative Marine Aquariums

CadLights Mini 8 Gallon with Kessil Lighting

ShrimpWhisperer

ShrimpWhisperer

My Story:

Almost 2 years in to the hobby of reefkeeping which is very different from FOWLR which was my experience prior. I have learned a TON, and if I had to set up a new tank I would be able to do it faster and cheaper than this one for sure! It has been a great experience, and really kept me involved. I have only had a few losses which I think is a pretty good run.

Tank - CadLights Mini 8 gallon starfire glass

Lighting - Kessil A150W Ocean Blue 15000k (BEST PURCHASE I EVER MADE)

Pump - Supposed to be a Cobalt MJ400 but the company I ordered from sent me a Marineland MaxiJet 400. Surprisingly it was not "loud" like the reviews said, so I kept it, and got a credit for the difference from the more expensive Cobalt. It is 110 gph so it turns the water over 14 times an hour in my 8 gallon tank.

Livestock - CORALS DUH! :) pics below, astrea snails, mexican turbo snail, cerinth snails, bumblebee snail, yellowtail blue damsel, and bloodfire shrimp

I understand I have an Aiptasia problem. I am handling it, so no need to comment on that ;)

FTS with no white balance adjustment on camera to show you the level of blue from Kessil

IMG_0850_zps88e72cb3.jpg

Front view of whole tank

IMG_0838_zpsbb6c757c.jpg

Side view of whole tank (this is my view as i sit in my recliner after a hard days work)

IMG_0839_zpsf872611a.jpg

My Cinnamon Grandis Paly. I have had it almost 2 years, and had zero growth, but now under the Kessil it had 3 new pups growing, and thats why its wrinkled up. It is allowing more light in to the babies.

IMG_0849_zps168ef21a.jpg

Neon Green Nepthea Leather...hes kind of moody in this pic. He is normally very stretched out and flaunting his goods.

IMG_0848_zps6ad64c9c.jpg

Just got this little guy. Nuclear Green Paly!

IMG_0847_zps3f9fb485.jpg

Love my devil's hand growing nicely

IMG_0835_zpsb54132c8.jpg

Kryptonite Candy Cane Coral

IMG_0834_zps42cc9e25.jpg

Acan Lord

IMG_0829_zps257168e6.jpg

Bam Bam Zoa's and Pulsating Xenia

IMG_0833_zps72b4eeef.jpg

A couple of the mushrooms I have in the tank. These are varigated which I love.

IMG_0837_zps0f0f02d5.jpg

The verdict on these is that they are probably a variation of the LA Lakers Zoa's

IMG_0843_zps00bede75.jpg

Top down shot showing green Favia on sand, Green Bay Packers Zoa's, Wham'n Watermelon Zoa's, and Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoa's

IMG_0846_zpsb69c5cdf.jpg

Tri-Color Florida Ricordea

IMG_0842_zps32b8ac89.jpg

Yay for Kessil lighting! I run a Kessil A350 over my 41 gallon. Those are some ridiculously red mushrooms. I love the yellow zoas too! I find I get excellent growth on my softies with the Kessil. I had a frag of some green zoanthids I got for free from a friend. It started out as 4 polyps and is now 10. The original ones look just like the greens in your last picture, but oddly enough the new ones have hot pink spots on the rim right before the fingers.

:welcome: to NR.

I got back into the hobby in May with my CAD 8 gallon with a Kessil. I couldn't stand the quality of the tank and built my own a few months ago.

Did you get the stock lighting? If so and you aren't using it throw it up on here for sale. Someone bought mine for a fuge light and loved it.

Did you put airline tubing on the back chamber dividers to tighten them up so there is no gap?

You might want to get a berghia nudibranch to get rid of all the Aiptasia in your tank.

I like the rock layout. It is gonna be really cool when it is all covered. The arch is gonna look awesome.

ShrimpWhisperer

Thanks!

I'm glad people know about the quality of Kessil. I am in the Dallas area, and only 1 LFS carries them and when I go to some of the private coral dealers or other LFS and they say "what light do you use" and I say "Kessil" they don't really know whats going on and how awesome it is. The growth is amazing under it.

I am going to buy 3 berghia's because I read they are pack hunters. That should be happpening in next month.

I didn't put airline tubing down the sides. I might still, but I did close up the bottom intake with a old insurance card which causes more of a cascading effect on the top intake. That helps the protein build up along with the bigger pump over the 75 gph they send stock. Thanks for the tip on the old light. I didn't know they were in demand :)

ShrimpWhisperer
I also have a cad lights mini 8 and hated the back fuge chambers so I removed it and add small internal filter.

Checked it out looks fun!

Archived