Coral Vue Hydros

90$ DIY Linux Aquarium Controller openHardware openSource

hardelettrosoft

hardelettrosoft

Hi guys, I'm intersting to develop an aquarium controller, openHardware and openSource.

Here there are alle the infos:

http://www.starteed.com/projects/45/openaquarium-controller <- crowdfunding campaign

http://www.openaquarium.com/ <- official web site

I'm from Italy and here I found an other people (200Km from me) that can help me with software development.

If you would help us, you are welcome.

The hardware is not yet fully decided, we can speak about it here. I will use this forum as official for this my project and I will link it to my site.

• Like 2
hardelettrosoft

Oh how nice it would be to simply use shell scripts and cron to control everything. Hope this pans out.

Thanks for your message ! This is our idea ! ! ! ! ! ! :)

We hope to become a great comunity and have you among our developers :)

The first 10 developers who want to help us, will have the hardware for free.

Development of well thought out scripts and cron jobs is simple. The hard part is developing code to interface with the sensors and dimmers, or figuring out how to control power to things like pumps. That essentially means you have to have a power strip too. Sorry if you've already mentioned this on the page.

This would be so much easier than dealing with straight up Arduino though. I like your Git hub plan too.

hardelettrosoft

Since every programmer knows a programming language, each could develop one of the parts of the software they prefer in the language they prefer. A time that all the parts are complete, we will try to make them work together ...

I think this allows everyone to contribute to the project. This is one of my goals.

I think Arduino is a great product ... but that is not suited for this project.
For more AriaG25 costs less and is more powerful .. is a whole other thing ..

What no raspberry pi?

Actually coding is the fun part. Getting the hardware so that it doesn't look like something you created in your basement is the tricky part. I've always been a programmer in multiple languages however I purchased an off the shelf controller because I didn't feel I could design the hardware to be compact a stylish other then dropping an LCD panel in a project box and modifying a powerstrip or using another project box for this too.

hardelettrosoft

@Mstefa1

I do not like business demoboard as Raspberry Pi, do not give me security and stability over time, I prefer an industrial product. . . Personally I am a hardware designer.

One of our goal is reduce component cost and Raspberry Pi havn't a pratical insertion connector, it need a cable between himself and "mainboard" and there are a few pins available.

• 9 months later...

Tried to sent you an email via you contact page, but it bounced.

I am a prof. programmer, aquarium lover and openSource "fanatic", can you please correct your contact page, so I can email you. Or alternatively sent me a short email jani@apache.org

thanks in advance.

rgds

jan I.

Ps. I like your initative, and would like to particiate with my knowledge in firmware for microcontrollers (SCADA systems).

With farkwar, I didn't see that this was a dead thread being bumped. Do not upvote, test post.

No offense, but your website really makes it seem like you are just seeking a lot of money with little roadmap/planning.

In my opinion, you're also going about it a little wrong. You're asking, up front, for 3,000 Euros for advertisement, and in return we get your portfolio/blog, and the very start of a prototype being developed.

I would suggest having a solid design figured out before asking for that much cash, and if you are really going FOSS with this thing, publish the design. You're asking for a lot of money for an idea that has no clear path, or goal. I would gladly contribute either time or money to a well thought out FOSS *nix based controller, I've been wanting to do the same thing for awhile but I don't have the know-how on the hardware end.

You clearly have a lot of enthusiasm, but you may want to slow down a little bit and get a good plan rolling, as well as making sure it is a feasible project.

Nm necro thread

Trying to "crowd-fund" without a prototype product.

And asking people to contribute code before you even have anything setup...

And a website that has bad contact info

Screams scam

Archived