Innovative Marine Aquariums

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

I remember Hurricane Andrew and Hugo ,those mugs were devastating, they set the bar until Katrina,Rita and Ike came along.

I lived in Puerto rico when hugo hit us. I was like 14. It was a badstorm

Did you use the connectors that maxspect has to join them?

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in Puerto rico when hugo hit us. I was like 14. It was a badstorm Did you use the connectors that maxspect has to join them?

Dave, thanks for dropping by. :)

Hugo was a giant storm! I hope everyone in your family was okay. At fourteen years old it must have made quite an impact. I know I was stressing whenever the wind blew or it rained after Andrew. PTSD :eek:

To answer your question I did not use the connectors. I will eventually get around to it though. Have you used the connectors?

I received the media basket for the AC110. All I can say is WOW! It is precisely cut and fits the AC110 exactly. It is quality and I would not hesitate to shop at StevieT's InTank store again.

I also purchased the Tunze 9002 skimmer that fits in the AC110 media basket. I started it up to make sure it worked and sure enough it skims! :lol: I am also using the filters (white and blue) in the filter slot. It picked up lots of sediment from me stirring up the snad bed when I added more rock. It is a well designed basket.

2013-03-30_15-09-33_197_zpsd3d4b2bf.jpg

Here is a FTS of the tank on the day I added more rock.

2013-03-30_14-52-59_960_zps5d248d36.jpg

Now it is much clearer:

2013-04-02_08-23-02_992_zps6fc25a0d.jpg

There are three big base rocks in the tank and the pH is staying at 8.1. :fingerscrossed: Hopefully it will stay that way if the rocks are fully cured.

2013-04-02_08-23-11_523_zpscee84ddf.jpg

Here are some close ups. There is algae growing so I have the lights down to 30% for a three hour period.

2013-04-02_08-22-35_686_zps74215966.jpg

2013-04-02_08-23-34_320_zps3dfa72f5.jpg

2013-04-02_08-23-42_422_zps2dc82588.jpg

2013-04-02_08-24-18_701_zps35c88506.jpg

2013-04-02_08-24-40_599_zpsc803c346.jpg

I received the media basket for the AC110. All I can say is WOW! It is precisely cut and fits the AC110 exactly. It is quality and I would not hesitate to shop at StevieT's InTank store again.

I also purchased the Tunze 9002 skimmer that fits in the AC110 media basket.

2013-03-30_15-09-33_197_zpsd3d4b2bf.jpg

Now it is much clearer:

2013-04-02_08-23-02_992_zps6fc25a0d.jpg

I love that filter basket mod and your new skimmer looks great! And, adding in your new rocks, how exciting! They look great too. :)

That was August 24,1992. I never have to look up THAT date. :lol:

Oh..ok! That was the storm I saw the damage from. We had taken a family vacation to Florida that winter and I remember seeing the boarded up windows and lots of destruction. We drove down to the keys that year.

Well, just made my first fish purchase for the Caribbean Castle Made of Sand! :)

Molly Miller Blenny!

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/9/fish

Oh..ok! That was the storm I saw the damage from. We had taken a family vacation to Florida that winter and I remember seeing the boarded up windows and lots of destruction. We drove down to the keys that year.

Yes, it was a large swath of devastation for South Miami to Homestead and almost all the way across the peninsula. It was a very sad, difficult time for many people. The keys, gratefully, were not damaged that time.

Those are some cool little fish, thanks for posting the article.

YVW! I think they are cool too. Worthy of being first. :)

Hahaha! They're so cute!

I think they are cute too. Some people I have read find them ugly. IDK I do not see anything ugly about them, especially the little projections on their heads that make them look like they have hair! :lol:

Sounds like a great blenny. Also, I love how the first of the rocks look in the tank. I can't wait to see more of them in there!

YVW! I think they are cool too. Worthy of being first. :)

I think they are cute too. Some people I have read find them ugly. IDK I do not see anything ugly about them, especially the little projections on their heads that make them look like they have hair! :lol:

I used to have some really large ones. They were really cool and entertaining to watch. They are really peaceful but they chase eachother around the tank during the day.

I used to have some really large ones. They were really cool and entertaining to watch. They are really peaceful but they chase eachother around the tank during the day.

Hi, jamesb2012. Thanks for dropping in. :)

Were they in your 50 gallon mixed? I read they get at most 4". Is that true or is it underestimated?

Thanks.

Sounds like a great blenny. Also, I love how the first of the rocks look in the tank. I can't wait to see more of them in there!

Hi, flsvedlund. :)

Yeah I can't wait. I will add more today. pH is at 7.9 ~ 8.0 so I can go ahead.

Boohoo! Sadness...

The fish is out of stock. They are going to send me the 2 emerald crabs I ordered without the fish! I am paying overnight shipping for two crabs! LOL

They will send the fish free shipping if they get them within two weeks. If they cannot get them in two weeks they will not charge me for the fish but in the meantime I paid overnight shipping for emerald crabs!!

Live and learn newbies! Live and learn! :lol:

Update on out of stock Molly Miller Blennies: If after two weeks they are still not available they will extend the free shipping until they do come in according to Tricia from customer service. That is good news! :)

Meanwhile, a new fish I want to acquire for this tank is back in stock and maybe I will be luckier this time. I ordered five of these:

http://oceana.org/en/explore/marine-wildlife/blue-chromis

I am supposed to get the Blue Reef Chromis today. I expected FedEX to deliver by 10:30 am but it is 1 pm and no fish. <_<

Meanwhile, I added more rocks. The pH is steady in the normal range. Phew!

2013-04-09_07-46-41_941_zps4ce35ba0.jpg

I am still thinking about how I want the placement to go so this configuration may not be permanent. This is what it looks like for now. :)

2013-04-09_07-47-32_376_zps007a0d4e.jpg

2013-04-09_07-49-21_115_zps9d62e3b9.jpg

2013-04-09_07-49-28_225_zps19e5ab64.jpg

2013-04-09_07-49-36_802_zpsffd02fc5.jpg

My first coral in the tank! It is a Porites coral with three mushrooms. The mushrooms have been this color even in the LFS. There are many bristle-cage worms (flabelligeridae) in this rock. I would have loved it if they were Christmas Tree worms! :)

2013-04-09_07-48-38_711_zps76f1fdc5.jpg

2013-04-09_07-49-05_931_zpsa13ebf2b.jpg

capitolcityreefer

Very nice, I really like those rocks you made. I can tell you put alot of thought into creating areas for coral placement.

Very nice, I really like those rocks you made. I can tell you put alot of thought into creating areas for coral placement.

Thank you. :)

I hope I can make it look like the image I have in my mind. I want lots of open space, good flow and light coverage. Hopefully there will be plenty of variability in conditions so that I can have light loving as well as low light corals.

Update on FedEx delivery. They sent the package to the wrong city, so I will receive it tomorrow! The liveaquaria.com customer service dept. called me!! They did not wait for me to call them. :lol:

They tell me it will be here tomorrow and that the fish should be fine. What do you guys think? Will all be fine in your experiences? Should I throw a hissy fit? LOL I paid for overnight dagnabit! :lol:

I'd throw at least a bit of a fit and see if you can get a credit for your next purchase or a partial refund or something. If you pay for overnight and expect fish today, and then they screw up, I think they should do something to compensate for their mistake.

Btw, I really like all the homemade rocks, especially the one with the columns. Very cool looking and unique!

I'd throw at least a bit of a fit and see if you can get a credit for your next purchase or a partial refund or something. If you pay for overnight and expect fish today, and then they screw up, I think they should do something to compensate for their mistake.

Btw, I really like all the homemade rocks, especially the one with the columns. Very cool looking and unique!

Thank you Felicia. The rocks are fun to make. It is like making mud pies with seashells in them! :happy:

Yes I will ask for a credit for the overnight shipping towards my next purchase. I want some more stuff of course! :)

Hi, jamesb2012. Thanks for dropping in. :)

Were they in your 50 gallon mixed? I read they get at most 4". Is that true or is it underestimated?

Thanks.

No I had them in my 20 tall when it was still a biotope since they are native to Florida/Caribbean waters. They do get much larger than the ones in the video and become considerably much more attractive as they get larger. My largest was called starbucks and was roughly 5" but he stopped growing. If you would like I could find some pictures of them. :)

No I had them in my 20 tall when it was still a biotope since they are native to Florida/Caribbean waters. They do get much larger than the ones in the video and become considerably much more attractive as they get larger. My largest was called starbucks and was roughly 5" but he stopped growing. If you would like I could find some pictures of them. :)

If it is not too much trouble, I would love to see pictures of your Molly Miller Blenny. Thanks, James!

Are they dimorphic? I forget which are I read so many fish articles! :lol: I know some species of fish can be distinguished by color or at times body shape. Is that how you know Atarbucks (love that name) was a he?

Archived