Cultivated Reef

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sheesh! Those diatoms are taking off now. :)

Here is what I ordered to start populating the tank.

For helping with nutrients I got a fuge starter kit from reefs2go with a credit balance. It contains sea lettuce (ulva) with pods, red graciliara macro and more pods. In addition, I got shaving brush macro (penicillus) and halimeda. I am going to make a little macro forest where the pods can hang out like Robin Hood and his band of merry men in Sherwood forest. :lol:

From reefcleaners.org I got their 25 gal CUC package and will add more if needed. Right now I do not have too much for them to eat and I did not want a mass starvation event. It includes Dwarf Ceriths, which are small little fellas that are always in the sand and recesses of the live rock; Nassarius snails, that rise up out of the sand like little zombies looking to clean up detritus and extra morsels of uneaten food (or brains); Florida Ceriths, who take at least a week to come out of their shell after shipping but man are they hungry when they come of their shells; Nerites which are indestructible and prone to escape the tank to provide endless entertainment for curious cats :) until they are rescued but keep on eating algae as if nothing happened when returned to the tank.

I also got some scroll algae from reefcleaners. I have never grown it but it looks so cool I wanted to give it a try. Any suggestions for growing this macro out there?

Scroll_Algae_4f95fbaff2f0f_150x150.jpg

Thanks!

Is it my imagination or is this macro looking bigger already?! FO sure the color has become more deep red. I love it!

2013-03-14_10-58-15_455_zpsd089677a.jpg

Here are the diatoms!!

2013-03-14_10-58-26_481_zps0699cc2d.jpg

Looking great. Have you desided on a sump?love this thread

TY! :)

This thread is turning out so great because of all the great reef addicts that post to it!!! Thank you all for the great comments and input. :D

I have not decided on a sump. I am taking it slowly and gauging what I need based on what I see happening. I will try to keep it simple and get most of the balance from a strong microbiological presence, a variety of beautiful macros in the display which will remove some excess nutrients and provide a refuge to harbor pods. I hope to have every niche in the system filled and consistent good water quality before adding any corals.

Yesterdays parameters

Temp 77 F :: pH 7.78 (hannah) :: Alk 7.8 dKH (salifert) :: NH3/NH4 not detectable (API)

NO3 not detectable (API) :: PO4 not detectable (API)

There has got to be some NO3 in the system else there would be no diatoms. So, there are definite limitations to these test kits.

Blubbernaut

:lol:

How did you do that? I want free stuff too! :)

Yeah I had a couple of stomatellas. They reproduced. Hopefully the 2nd gen will reproduce soon. Along bristleworms and other snails that came w/ my lr.

It's raining snails not frogs! :P

2013-03-15_18-31-29_889_zps879d5ad2.jpg

2013-03-15_18-31-10_49_zps11989948.jpg

Macro Island :)

2013-03-15_18-29-53_282_zps5a3995a1.jpg

2013-03-15_18-29-30_901_zps9180015a.jpg

2013-03-15_18-32-52_163_zps914e2db2.jpg

Um... This is what I got for scroll algae! :blink:

2013-03-15_15-01-59_984_zps497e7c77.jpg

Hold your nose I bet you could smell it from here :lol:

2013-03-15_15-03-00_537_zpsa9eaffe2.jpg

After floating it and pulling of the squish and slime this is what it looks like in the holding tank. :wacko:

2013-03-15_18-27-04_489_zps7e6f5819.jpg

Have you got any scroll algae? Is this what it does when it is shipped? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

I love your build, you're making great progress. And, I am super jealous of the space. You have so many possibilities! So, what are you going to do next? :)

Dang, that's a ton of snails! I hope my stomas can reproduce quickly, I could use a few more....

Go to reef cleaners and John will set you up with tons of great snails even with the smallest CUC package. They are super clean I have never found a pest critter on any of his stuff!

I love your build, you're making great progress. And, I am super jealous of the space. You have so many possibilities! So, what are you going to do next? :)

Thank you. I am so grateful for the space. I am super excited.

The next step? I am so glad you asked! :)

I am starting to put in some DIY LR one piece at a time and testing for pH. It looks like it has cured and two days of stable pH at 8.0 :happy:

DSCF0173_zps1b803562.jpg

DSCF0175_zpsccd36bbc.jpg

Geez...I am behind in this thread. I never remember to check the other sub-forums!!!! :) How's that scroll algae doing today? Looked pretty bad! Hopefully it didn't all fall to pieces and melt away. It will eventually attach to your rock work so maybe if even a small piece survived it will flourish from that. The other macros look really nice :D

Hi, Gena. Yeah. It was totally mush. I do not think it will come back. I never could even tell that it was scroll algae. I will have to try it again though because I really like it. They lights are too strong for the dragons breath out in the open, so I turned down the intensity. The algae in the castle and in the shade have really done well. Yay! :)

Thanks to all of you for visiting!! I love it. :happydance:

Hi, Gena. Yeah. It was totally mush. I do not think it will come back. I never could even tell that it was scroll algae. I will have to try it again though because I really like it. They lights are too strong for the dragons breath out in the open, so I turned down the intensity. The algae in the castle and in the shade have really done well. Yay! :)

Thanks to all of you for visiting!! I love it. :happydance:

I've never had any luck with the macros I get from reef cleaners. I don't know what it is, but they almost always die on me. I've heard this from other people as well. I've stopped ordering macros from them. The CUC is where it's at though and I'll always get that from them. Try live-plants.com for scroll algae. They'll send you a bunch and it's very healthy. They have good stuff :)
Thanks. It will look great with corals and algae growing on it! Sigh... Patience! :)

Your rock is going to look fantastic covered with corals and algae growing all over it in a few short months. You inspire me to try making "rocks" of my own in the pottery studio.

jedimasterben

I've never had any luck with the macros I get from reef cleaners. I don't know what it is, but they almost always die on me. I've heard this from other people as well. I've stopped ordering macros from them.

I've only had issues with macro I ordered and had shipped. The stuff I picked up from them last week is still doing well and hasn't melted. I don't remember seeing any lighting over the racks that have macros, so maybe it is the transition from ambient light only to high-par lighting.

Your rock is going to look fantastic covered with corals and algae growing all over it in a few short months. You inspire me to try making "rocks" of my own in the pottery studio.

Cool! A pottery studio. I threw pots and hand built pots a long time ago. I loved it. Making rocks is really not that difficult just a little messy and rough on your hands if you do not use golves. You should try it. :-) Save a reef!

I've only had issues with macro I ordered and had shipped. The stuff I picked up from them last week is still doing well and hasn't melted. I don't remember seeing any lighting over the racks that have macros, so maybe it is the transition from ambient light only to high-par lighting.

Yes. It seems they do not put enough water in the bags and the macros were pungent in smell. (?) I am happy though because John is super at customer service and refunded my money for the macros. :)

I have turned down the lighting because it looks like it is definitely an issue. I will slowly bring it back up.

Cool! A pottery studio. I threw pots and hand built pots a long time ago. I loved it. Making rocks is really not that difficult just a little messy and rough on your hands if you do not use golves. You should try it. :-) Save a reef!

:) I'm amazed that you were able to stop making pottery, I think they may add something to the clay that makes it addictive. Though I can't be sure.

:) I'm amazed that you were able to stop making pottery, I think they may add something to the clay that makes it addictive. Though I can't be sure.

I had kids, hurricane Andrew blew away my house with kiln and wheel in it :( , moved to the middle of the country... Life gets in the way!!! LOL I am often temped to start again. Now I am addicted to reefing. :rolleyes:

I had kids, hurricane Andrew blew away my house with kiln and wheel in it :( , moved to the middle of the country... Life gets in the way!!! LOL I am often temped to start again. Now I am addicted to reefing. :rolleyes:

Life, always causing trouble; at least you got some kids and a reef out of the deal. :)

Archived