Top Shelf Aquatics

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

Polarcollision

Yes, the Clementines!! I was so looking forward to those. They were plump polyps when I put them in the tank, but they just did not like something! They got smaller and smaller and I put them back down on the sand but they did not bounce back. All that is left is the glue!!

Every one else seems to have made it though!

Thanks for the offer. I will definitely order from you again and I will get more of those and be more careful of the lighting situation. :rolleyes:

Oh man, those Clementines are finicky little buggers. I almost lost them, too. Dipped them in peroxide and placed them up high so they have relief from those giant amphipods that munch on zoas but seem to leave palys alone. The Clementines seem to like the same amount of light as the birdsnest and didn't do as well when I had them in a slightly shaded area. That peroxide dip seemed to perk them up, like they had been fighting off an infection from the munching or something. They're taking off now. 4 polyps and growing well. Anyways, I hope any of this is helpful when you get them again. Sorry to hear about that, I know how disappointed I was when it looked like they were toast.

I know you already have an offer for replacement, but I'll throw my offer in too when they pop off a few more polyps. I've never shipped zoas before so I'd like to get a bit of practice fragging and shipping. Willing to be generous to offset inexperience. :-)

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man, those Clementines are finicky little buggers. I almost lost them, too. Dipped them in peroxide and placed them up high so they have relief from those giant amphipods that munch on zoas but seem to leave palys alone. The Clementines seem to like the same amount of light as the birdsnest and didn't do as well when I had them in a slightly shaded area. That peroxide dip seemed to perk them up, like they had been fighting off an infection from the munching or something. They're taking off now. 4 polyps and growing well. Anyways, I hope any of this is helpful when you get them again. Sorry to hear about that, I know how disappointed I was when it looked like they were toast.

I know you already have an offer for replacement, but I'll throw my offer in too when they pop off a few more polyps. I've never shipped zoas before so I'd like to get a bit of practice fragging and shipping. Willing to be generous to offset inexperience. :-)

Hi, Polarcollision. Thanks for dropping in. This is exactly the type of info I love. :happy:

What is your method for peroxide dipping? Can you dip any kind of coral in peroxide? Do you dilute the peroxide? How long do you leave them in there? Thanks!

I will gladly buy stuff from you when you are ready. Just PM me a list and costs and we will work it out.

The PEA box came with out cooling packs, in an insulated box and the water temp was 79 F. I guess it is perfect weather for shipping corals.

Polarcollision

IMG_0108-XL.jpg

The photosynthetic Gorgs are doing well in the center of the tank where the water flow collides and forms lots of crosscurrents.

IMG_0110-XL.jpg

IMG_0051-XL.jpg

Flute the Yellowhead Jawfish has settled in and does not hide from me any longer. He is looking for tasty morsels that may float by. Lovely and elegant this fish is stunning!

IMG_0044-XL.jpg

The Mremaid's fan is multiplying. :wub:

IMG_0095-XL.jpg

WOW! I haven't been by here in a while and missed all these additions. I love your choice of algae and fish, especially that purple gorgonian with the round branches. You have to tell me what it is! More pics, too! I'm dreaming of my dext setup with a display refugium something like what you have here. Lots of macros and gorgs.

Have you seen pics of Salt Creek preserve diving area along the Straight of Juan de Fuca? I think you would loooove it. Tons of macros and colorful sponges and sea life:

RockyFish.jpg

Urchin-Filled-Tidepool.JPG

inset_tidepools_large.jpg

Polarcollision

Hi, Polarcollision. Thanks for dropping in. This is exactly the type of info I love. :happy:

What is your method for peroxide dipping? Can you dip any kind of coral in peroxide? Do you dilute the peroxide? How long do you leave them in there? Thanks!

I will gladly buy stuff from you when you are ready. Just PM me a list and costs and we will work it out.

The PEA box came with out cooling packs, in an insulated box and the water temp was 79 F. I guess it is perfect weather for shipping corals.

I've only tried zoas so far cause I fret over killing the 'babies' in my care and end up researching stuff forever before taking the plunge. But my understanding is that zoas can take about a 10 second dip in 50% peroxide (the bottle is 3% concentration) and 50% tank water. So that comes out to about 1.5% concentration overall. Zoas are indestructible according to the peroxide evangelist, Brandon, here on NR. I've taken a midas colony and soaked it for 30 seconds and the zoas are just fine. Soon, hopefully this weekend, I'm going to drain the aquarium and pour peroxide on a turf algae outbreak...

Polarcollision

And now for a moment of "woah! What the heck are those pods doing?"

HD setting gives great detail:

IMG_0016-XL.jpg

IMG_0007-XL.jpg

IMG_0057-XL.jpg

HOLD ON!! Are these about 1cm or larger??? They look just like the little **** in my tank. If so, then I'm 95% sure your clementines are in their bellies. :-(

jedimasterben

Up to 70% is a bit much to acclimate new corals. It's frightening how little light it truly takes for SPS to not only survive, but to grow, in the realm of 40-60mmol of PAR. I would either cut your photoperiod by several hours and raising it back an hour per week, or lower the intensity to around 35-40% and going up by 5% weekly. At that point, you can place the corals where you want them and they will adjust.

Browning of corals (too little light, and more zooxanthellae) is far better than bleaching (too much light).

Mr. Microscope

Holy cow E!!! That pod footage and photos are amazing!

Can't wait to see your new livestock.

HOLD ON!! Are these about 1cm or larger??? They look just like the little **** in my tank. If so, then I'm 95% sure your clementines are in their bellies. :-(

They are pretty big but only about 1/8 of an inch long. These are in the Macro grow-out tank. I have not seen these in the main tank recently. I think the fish ate them in the DT. I have tons of them in the nano and I have not lost any Zoas so far. Maybe they only bother the stressed Zoas? I will keep an eye out for that in the nano. My sixline in the nano and my fish in the nano-fuge eat them up so the population of amphipods is really low now and kept in check.

What I DO know is that those little stinkers pinch my arms when I am working in the macro tank. They also got me once when they were more numerous in the display tank. When I feel them I pull my hand out of the water and they remain attached like little leeches. :lol: Squished!

Up to 70% is a bit much to acclimate new corals. It's frightening how little light it truly takes for SPS to not only survive, but to grow, in the realm of 40-60mmol of PAR. I would either cut your photoperiod by several hours and raising it back an hour per week, or lower the intensity to around 35-40% and going up by 5% weekly. At that point, you can place the corals where you want them and they will adjust.

Browning of corals (too little light, and more zooxanthellae) is far better than bleaching (too much light).

Thanks. I will drop it down to 40 % and raise it slowly.

Thank you, Ben. I :wub: your brains. :)

Holy cow E!!! That pod footage and photos are amazing!

Can't wait to see your new livestock.

Thank you! :)

That is such a complement coming from you that I may have to get my hats replaced for a bigger size. ;)

Wish me luck with the new livestock. Yikes! I am a-feared!

WOW! I haven't been by here in a while and missed all these additions. I love your choice of algae and fish, especially that purple gorgonian with the round branches. You have to tell me what it is! More pics, too! I'm dreaming of my dext setup with a display refugium something like what you have here. Lots of macros and gorgs.

Have you seen pics of Salt Creek preserve diving area along the Straight of Juan de Fuca? I think you would loooove it. Tons of macros and colorful sponges and sea life:

Wow! You are right I love it.

BTW I am looking up the Gorgs for you. I got them at a LFS (4 hours drive) and all he knew was they came out of the Caribbean and they are photosynthetic.

jedimasterben

Thanks. I will drop it down to 40 % and raise it slowly.

Thank you, Ben. I :wub: your brains. :)

And I :wub: yours! I remember reading that your husband is a chemist (or something like that? Maybe I don't remember that, either :lol:), but I didn't know that you were a biologist. Very awesome :)

And I :wub: yours! I remember reading that your husband is a chemist (or something like that? Maybe I don't remember that, either :lol:), but I didn't know that you were a biologist. Very awesome :)

Yeah, we love science at my house. Hubby and I met at Florida International University. Go Panthers! :lol:

Strangely, although my kids love science, one is majoring in English with a focus on creative writing and the other is majoring in Art with a focus on digital graphics. [shrugs] C'est la vie.

oldSWseamomma

Hello, SWmomma. Thank you! :)

Zues and Ariel sound very busy! :wub:

What do the eggs look like? Does Ariel look fat just behind the pectoral fins when she is full of eggs? Are they colored differently? Do they hang out together? Do they guard the eggs?

My Blennies are slightly different in color. They get darker and lighter depending on their location so I cannot rely on color to judge gender. Also, mine have staked out opposite sides of the tank and do not hang out together but will eat well together when I drop in food. There doesn't seem to be any aggression. IDK

They are quite comical to watch - kind of like "tag your it!" Zeus will "posture" on his two front fins next to her (kinda looks like one of those goats that get scared and fall over) and then the chase me chase is on. It seems after that behavior I have found the eggs on the base of the powerhead at the top of the tank in about 2 days. I did post a picture of the eggs and Ariel fat with eggs in the Blenny Thread. They are very light pinkish in color and stuck in a cluster. And yes, she does get quite fat just behind the pectoral fins. Am hoping they use the barnacles I ordered instead. They do hang out together a lot and will pair up to kick up the substrate looking for any leftovers after feeding time. According to my expert at the Coral Reef LFS that I got them from (and I trust her completely) she has noticed a difference in the coloring in males vs. females and their top fins. Here is a pic of mine - Zeus is lighter in coloring and Ariel is the darker more filled in coloring.

post-79867-0-32997300-1370371294_thumb.jpg

post-79867-0-36492300-1370371310.jpg

They are quite comical to watch - kind of like "tag your it!" Zeus will "posture" on his two front fins next to her (kinda looks like one of those goats that get scared and fall over) and then the chase me chase is on. It seems after that behavior I have found the eggs on the base of the powerhead at the top of the tank in about 2 days. I did post a picture of the eggs and Ariel fat with eggs in the Blenny Thread. They are very light pinkish in color and stuck in a cluster. And yes, she does get quite fat just behind the pectoral fins. Am hoping they use the barnacles I ordered instead. They do hang out together a lot and will pair up to kick up the substrate looking for any leftovers after feeding time. According to my expert at the Coral Reef LFS that I got them from (and I trust her completely) she has noticed a difference in the coloring in males vs. females and their top fins. Here is a pic of mine - Zeus is lighter in coloring and Ariel is the darker more filled in coloring.

Here is a very informative link for MM Blennies....

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/9/fish

Thank you SWmomma! They are so cute. I will look for those pictures on the Blennie thread.

Mine do not chase each other and they do not often hang out together. However, I have seen the posturing and they have only briefly chased one another. The fat belly maybe just that on mine, fat! :) The difference in coloration on mine may just be a coincidence and not a gender difference.

Thank you for the info and the link! I appreciate it so much.

I started out at 30% and ramped it up by 5% increments every other day or third day. The A channel is designated for whites and B for blues. It has six time points to set so you can ramp up the intensity in the morning and bring it down at night. I keep it at 1% for the blue (B channel) at night as a moonlight setting.

Perhaps our LED gurus can give you some expert advice considering your corals are not accustomed to LED lights.

Thanks for the info!!!! I'll have to do more research on this so I don't blind/burn my corals.

Sounds like quite the haul of goodies you got!!!!! :happydance:

oldSWseamomma

Thank you SWmomma! They are so cute. I will look for those pictures on the Blennie thread.

Mine do not chase each other and they do not often hang out together. However, I have seen the posturing and they have only briefly chased one another. The fat belly maybe just that on mine, fat! :) The difference in coloration on mine may just be a coincidence and not a gender difference.

Thank you for the info and the link! I appreciate it so much.

If I find any more info on them I'll share - I think they are just so fascinating. I did post in that thread that I treat mine to Nori once a week. I cut a strip of it about and inch wide and 3 inches long and rubberband it to a small piece of LR. They wear it out!!! You can find Nori in the oriental food section of the grocery store - it's used to make sushi and a box of it will last a good long time. I cut it into 5"x5" square sheets and store it in a ziplock quart sized freezer bag in my cabinet - no need to refrigerate it.

jedimasterben

I would simply get them feeding on NLS pellets, then you would have no need to supplement with algaes.

If I find any more info on them I'll share - I think they are just so fascinating. I did post in that thread that I treat mine to Nori once a week. I cut a strip of it about and inch wide and 3 inches long and rubberband it to a small piece of LR. They wear it out!!! You can find Nori in the oriental food section of the grocery store - it's used to make sushi and a box of it will last a good long time. I cut it into 5"x5" square sheets and store it in a ziplock quart sized freezer bag in my cabinet - no need to refrigerate it.

Thanks for sharing. I will continue to do the same.

Thanks for the feeding tips. I have the Ocean Nutrition Brown Marine Algae which is a mix of dried seaweeds. I purchased it a while back when I first started because I was afraid the CUC was going to starve when they finished eating the algae. Ha ha. That never happened so I still have most of it.

A couple of weeks ago I started doing like you say and plopping it the tank attached to a rock with a rubber band. They loved it. I will give the Nori a try when this runs out because this stuff tends to soften, disintegrate and float around in the water. I am sure the dissolved stuff feeds some thing else in the tank but I do not like the mess. :)

I would simply get them feeding on NLS pellets, then you would have no need to supplement with algaes.

I am not familiar with those. I will have to look them up. Thanks, Ben.

Thanks for the info!!!! I'll have to do more research on this so I don't blind/burn my corals.

Sounds like quite the haul of goodies you got!!!!! :happydance:

YW! :)

I am excited about the goodies. I am about to dip them, put them in the tank and then pictures! :D

jedimasterben

NLS = New Life Spectrum, possibly the best pelleted food out there. It is very diverse in its ingredients and was (and is) able to sustain a small group of Moorish idols, one of the most finicky and delicate of fish to keep in captivity, for many years as their sole food source.

Also, what you have now is considered 'nori'. Just dried seaweed.

oldSWseamomma

You're right Ben - I started feeding them the NLS pellets and they love them it's a great food. I just give them the Nori for my entertainment. And yes if it doesn't get eaten up quickly it will fall apart and float around the tank. I do put in that small piece and between the MM Blennies and the mex. turbo snail it gets hoovered up pretty fast.

NLS = New Life Spectrum, possibly the best pelleted food out there. It is very diverse in its ingredients and was (and is) able to sustain a small group of Moorish idols, one of the most finicky and delicate of fish to keep in captivity, for many years as their sole food source.

Also, what you have now is considered 'nori'. Just dried seaweed.

Thanks for the clarification, Ben. Good stuff! :happy:

You're right Ben - I started feeding them the NLS pellets and they love them it's a great food. I just give them the Nori for my entertainment. And yes if it doesn't get eaten up quickly it will fall apart and float around the tank. I do put in that small piece and between the MM Blennies and the mex. turbo snail it gets hoovered up pretty fast.

It is VERY entertaining to watch those Blennies. They eat with such gusto! Their whole body is used to rip algae off rock, macro hold fasts, ect.

Here is one destroying my Macro garden. :lol:

oldSWseamomma

Thanks for the clarification, Ben. Good stuff! :happy:

It is VERY entertaining to watch those Blennies. They eat with such gusto! Their whole body is used to rip algae off rock, macro hold fasts, ect.

Here is one destroying my Macro garden. :lol:

You're soooo right ! :lol: When they rip at the nori it's like watching a shark try to rip off a chuck of meat ! aahahahaha !

Man! I gotta spout off here folks. :angry:

I was just told by a stranger on this forum that I spend too much time here if I can exceed the quota for likes.

Why do some people have to rain on other peoples' sunny parades? I mean is it really all that satisfying for some ppl. to judge a person they do not even know?

Geez! :rolleyes:

Blubbernaut

Man! I gotta spout off here folks. :angry:

I was just told by a stranger on this forum that I spend too much time here if I can exceed the quota for likes.

Why do some people have to rain on other peoples' sunny parades? I mean is it really all that satisfying for some ppl. to judge a person they do not even know?

Geez! :rolleyes:

I know, right? Some people are just.... No, just no....

Archived