SaltCritters.com

A Carib.Castle: Naughty Nibblers... June '15 pics/vid, Razors, 125g, diy LR

eitallent

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol, that's a chubby blenny. My blenny is chubby, but in a different way.

How is you blenny chubby?

I notice my MM Blennies have grown their bodies out to match the size of their big heads! :lol:

They look like little tapered sausages. Soooooo cute!

Blubbernaut

How is you blenny chubby?

I notice my MM Blennies have grown their bodies out to match the size of their big heads! :lol:

They look like little tapered sausages. Soooooo cute!

My blenny just has an enormously fat belly after being fed. But the rest is all thin. He/she just looks like a sausage that got partially stepped on.

My blenny just has an enormously fat belly after being fed. But the rest is all thin. He/she just looks like a sausage that got partially stepped on.

Do you have a thread link? I would love to check them out. :) Blennies are coooool.

New page, new pictures! :P

On the sand of the DT I have place many Macros. I remember snorkeling above the turtle grass in S. Fla and feeling awed by the life it sheltered.

The porites rock has really deepened in color from cream color to a peach color.

IMG_0112-XL.jpg

An alien looking animal, the flower anemone has ringed, metallic green tentacles. Some times it is completely hidden in the sand.

IMG_0063-XL.jpg

Among the algae studding the sand bed hides Scuttle.

IMG_0058-XL.jpg

IMG_0108-XL.jpg

The photosynthetic Gorgs are doing well in the center of the tank where the water flow collides and forms lots of crosscurrents.

IMG_0110-XL.jpg

IMG_0055-XL.jpg

IMG_0051-XL.jpg

Flute the Yellowhead Jawfish has settled in and does not hide from me any longer. He is looking for tasty morsels that may float by. Lovely and elegant this fish is stunning!

IMG_0071-XL.jpg

IMG_0090-XL.jpg

IMG_0048-XL.jpg

IMG_0044-XL.jpg

IMG_0030-XL.jpg

Some Zoas from reefs2go $1/ polyp sale. :)

IMG_0014-XL.jpg

Jade green ricordea that is a bit washed out in this picture.

IMG_0011-XL.jpg

I have Macros everywhere! :lol:

IMG_0068-XL.jpg

IMG_0010-XL.jpg

The Mremaid's fan is multiplying. :wub:

IMG_0095-XL.jpg

IMG_0093-XL.jpg

Green Hairy Mushie from Felicia. It is huge!! TY Felicia:D

IMG_0008-XL.jpg

A pretty Paly from USCtom:

IMG_0004-XL.jpg

Blubbernaut

Do you have a thread link? I would love to check them out. :) Blennies are coooool.

No, and I won't for a good amount of time. Long story short, I had a bit of a problem caused by ich. But it's only one blenny, a flametail blenny named...wait for it.....BLENNY.

IMG_0044-XL.jpg

When did rehype stop by to take these photos?????? ;)

You take the most beautiful photos!!!!! You are getting better and better. Simply gorgeousness going on in here :happydance:

What intensity do you suggest I run my razor at to begin with?

jedimasterben

The eggs are definitively FL cerith eggs. There is lots and LOTS of snail sex in my tank, too :lol:

No, and I won't for a good amount of time. Long story short, I had a bit of a problem caused by ich. But it's only one blenny, a flametail blenny named...wait for it.....BLENNY.

Gosh, I hate to read that! I hate ich. Why is there disease?!!?

I like your name for your blenny! It fits. ;) If you take any pics of Blenny, post them here. I would love to see it. :)

When did rehype stop by to take these photos?????? ;)

You take the most beautiful photos!!!!! You are getting better and better. Simply gorgeousness going on in here :happydance:

What intensity do you suggest I run my razor at to begin with?

Thank you, Gena. You are so kind to say that. I am learning through online tutorials. I am using manual settings because I get frustrated with the auto on the camera trying to figure out how to adjust for tank lighting. :D

I started out at 30% and ramped it up by 5% increments every other day or third day. The A channel is designated for whites and B for blues. It has six time points to set so you can ramp up the intensity in the morning and bring it down at night. I keep it at 1% for the blue (B channel) at night as a moonlight setting.

Perhaps our LED gurus can give you some expert advice considering your corals are not accustomed to LED lights.

The eggs are definitively FL cerith eggs. There is lots and LOTS of snail sex in my tank, too :lol:

Thanks for the confirmation, Ben. John's CUCs are always virile but I had not seen this in the nano. I guess they like the room the large tank provides for them. Will they hatch out or get eaten do you think? What happens to them in your tank?

The lettuce nudis in the Macro tank laid a beautiful spiral of eggs but I think the amphipods ate them. In any case they are all gone and I do not think they had enough time to hatch out.

jedimasterben

Thanks for the confirmation, Ben. John's CUCs are always virile but I had not seen this in the nano. I guess they like the room the large tank provides for them. Will they hatch out or get eaten do you think? What happens to them in your tank?

The lettuce nudis in the Macro tank laid a beautiful spiral of eggs but I think the amphipods ate them. In any case they are all gone and I do not think they had enough time to hatch out.

There are a few snails I have seen in other peoples' tanks that have survived past the larval stage, but I'm not sure about FL ceriths. I've seen their eggs before (and ridiculous amounts of nerite eggs, which are white circular blotches), but no babies.

Mr. Microscope

Great photo update! Holy-moley on those jawfish pics! That mermaids tail is really neat too.

Blubbernaut

Gosh, I hate to read that! I hate ich. Why is there disease?!!?

I like your name for your blenny! It fits. ;) If you take any pics of Blenny, post them here. I would love to see it. :)

Well, it isn't ich anymore, but rather indirectly caused by it. What happened is I saw ich, treated for it with a reef safe treatment which ended up killing all bacteria, causing a skyrocket in ammonia. After that, I re-bacteria-ized the tank, causing a rise in nitrate to about 30 ppm. Just now after about 2-2 1/2 months is the water quality back to normal. The ich musta already been in the system when I bought it (it was used).

I would love to take pics of Blenny, but for one reason. I don't have a camera....

Wow! Your photo skills are impressive!!! I wish I could take photos like that. Those photos of the jawfish are just stunning. What a gorgeous fish! I love the macro you took of the fuzzy mushroom too! Glad to see its doing well. I sent you a nice big one :) In my tiny tank I can only keep one big one at a time and a couple of the babies. When the babies start getting big they go in the frag tank to sell because I don't have space for multiple giant mushrooms.

Your tank is coming along so well. Everything is so gorgeous and I love your fish selections! Keep it up :)

Everyday brings something new to see or think about with mixed reef aquariums.

This morning I cleaned glass, did a 7 gallon WV, changed floss etc. Everything is going pretty well. I noticed last night that I only saw three Blue Reef Chromis and thought one was already tucked in a hole for the night. I did not see him during clean up this morning but I was focused on my activities so I did not really pay to much attention.

Then I saw what looked like a leaf on the floor. When I looked closer I realized it had fins! It was a dried, flattened BRC. :( I must have stepped on his little dead carcass. It was sad and gross! :eek:

I have a lid on the tank but there is a 2" x 2" notch cut out for the feeder.

Great photo update! Holy-moley on those jawfish pics! That mermaids tail is really neat too.

Thank you, Mr. M. You inspired me to take better pics. :) I love the variety of macros abailable. I out some turtle grass in there too. We will see if it takes off.

Well, it isn't ich anymore, but rather indirectly caused by it. What happened is I saw ich, treated for it with a reef safe treatment which ended up killing all bacteria, causing a skyrocket in ammonia. After that, I re-bacteria-ized the tank, causing a rise in nitrate to about 30 ppm. Just now after about 2-2 1/2 months is the water quality back to normal. The ich musta already been in the system when I bought it (it was used).

I would love to take pics of Blenny, but for one reason. I don't have a camera....

Sorry to hear about that. When you get a camera I want to see that cutie! :)

Wow! Your photo skills are impressive!!! I wish I could take photos like that. Those photos of the jawfish are just stunning. What a gorgeous fish! I love the macro you took of the fuzzy mushroom too! Glad to see its doing well. I sent you a nice big one :) In my tiny tank I can only keep one big one at a time and a couple of the babies. When the babies start getting big they go in the frag tank to sell because I don't have space for multiple giant mushrooms.

Your tank is coming along so well. Everything is so gorgeous and I love your fish selections! Keep it up :)

Thank you, Felicia. :happydance:

Your mushies is really doing well. Lovely and spread out.

I plan on getting more BRC, at least four more to add to the three.

Oh no! That's awful! You know how I feel about finding dried up fish on the floor :( I can't believe they manage to launch themselves out of those tiny gaps. Poor thing!

Beautiful pics! Lookin great!

Thank you and thank you! :)

There are a few snails I have seen in other peoples' tanks that have survived past the larval stage, but I'm not sure about FL ceriths. I've seen their eggs before (and ridiculous amounts of nerite eggs, which are white circular blotches), but no babies.

Guess wut. The Cerith eggs are all gone. I have a feeling the Blennies had some thing to do with that. They look fat and guilty! :lol:

And now for a moment of "woah! What the heck are those pods doing?"

HD setting gives great detail:

IMG_0016-XL.jpg

IMG_0007-XL.jpg

IMG_0057-XL.jpg

:D

Bags are floating.

Flame Mushroom
Chili Peppers Mushroom
Blue Purple Fuzzy Mushroom
Green Garden Zoanthids
Green Maze Brain
Emerald Mine Favia
Lavender Plate Montipora
Fuzzy Branch Porites
Rasta Encrusting Porites
Yellow Branch Porites
Triple Bird's Nest Combo
Mystery Acropora
These are my first Bird's Nests and Acropora. :scarry:

BTW everything was triple bagged and magnificently packaged.

The frags are bigger than I expected too. :happy:

oldSWseamomma

Can't wait to see all the new goodies :haha: I just love your tank! I need to get off my scared butt and get some more color in my tank besides pretty coraline LR ! :blush: BTW my MM Blennies Zues & Ariel are doing great too. They laid another batch of eggs on the koralia base again. I ordered a small barnacle fro RC's like yours so hopefully they will enjoy it like yours do. ha!

Can't wait to see all the new goodies :haha: I just love your tank! I need to get off my scared butt and get some more color in my tank besides pretty coraline LR ! :blush: BTW my MM Blennies Zues & Ariel are doing great too. They laid another batch of eggs on the koralia base again. I ordered a small barnacle fro RC's like yours so hopefully they will enjoy it like yours do. ha!

Hello, SWmomma. Thank you! :)

Zues and Ariel sound very busy! :wub:

What do the eggs look like? Does Ariel look fat just behind the pectoral fins when she is full of eggs? Are they colored differently? Do they hang out together? Do they guard the eggs?

My Blennies are slightly different in color. They get darker and lighter depending on their location so I cannot rely on color to judge gender. Also, mine have staked out opposite sides of the tank and do not hang out together but will eat well together when I drop in food. There doesn't seem to be any aggression. IDK

jedimasterben

Bags are floating.

Flame Mushroom
Chili Peppers Mushroom
Blue Purple Fuzzy Mushroom
Green Garden Zoanthids
Green Maze Brain
Emerald Mine Favia
Lavender Plate Montipora
Fuzzy Branch Porites
Rasta Encrusting Porites
Yellow Branch Porites
Triple Bird's Nest Combo
Mystery Acropora
These are my first Bird's Nests and Acropora. :scarry:

BTW everything was triple bagged and magnificently packaged.

The frags are bigger than I expected too. :happy:

1358144257304620.jpg

What are you lights set to now, intensity-wise?

Okay SPS people. I need advice.

I am planning on placing the frags on the sand bed. I will then raise them up onto the rocks closer to the lights.

Right now I have a 12 hour lighting program that ramps up to 70% white and blues for a peak time of 4 hours. I may have to lower the intensity because the Zoas are not opening as fully as when I had it at 60% W & B. A blue mushroom has also faded a bit.

How fast to lift the SPS frags up to the lights? How long does SPS tolerate low lighting before causing irrevocable damage?

Thanks for your help folks! :)

Archived