Top Shelf Aquatics

Hello All! I Finally Took The Plunge!

ZeroEvoX

Hello everyone!

So I've literally been reading these boards for almost two years , admiring all your tanks and hard work, and finally decided to start one up myself! Ordered a IM Nuvo 8, an mj900, an jäger 50w heater, and a media basket from intank. Still deciding on what exactly I wanna keep in it but from what I've learned this far ill have plenty of time for that later on. Just waiting for my items to come in and this noob is going to start his first saltwater aquarium. Any feedback on the products I purchased or anything that would help the tank run better is much appreciated! I'm actually excited and nervous at the same time ha ha ha , we'll thanks for reading, I'll probably do a build thread once I get everything I need together , still have to get some essential equipment , but I'll go to my LFS for that stuff. Thanks for reading!

:welcome:

This is one of the most exciting parts, the apprehension, the expectation, the anticipation, the unknowns!!!!! :scarry:

I am happy for you! Welcome to the club, keep reading and researching, and taking things slow and steady. You'll surley come out with less headaches than the person who bought it all and has a fully stocked tank in two months. :bling:

hey, welcome. I love this site, and I'm glad that I found out. I've only been reading, as a guest prior to this week, for like a month or so. XD

just ordered a refractometer, and a koralia nano 240gph, oh and a thermometer, damn im good at spending money, nothing will be here till january 3rd lol

• Like 1

Congrats on the purchases and welcome to NR. Trust me this hobby can drain a bank account pretty quick. StevieT has some great stuff though. Are you planning on using the stock light or are you planning on upgrading it?

• Like 1

I forgot to put that I ordered his media basket with the mj pump lmao, I'm losing track of my purchases not good!! Lol I actually want to upgrade the lighting, but because I've read up the least on that, I'm doing my research now, I don't plan on keeping anything to crazy right now , I'd like my tank to be at least 6-8 months old before I start with the coral, I do plan on getting uncured rock right now so maybe I'll catch a sweet freebie.

I forgot to put that I ordered his media basket with the mj pump lmao, I'm losing track of my purchases not good!! Lol I actually want to upgrade the lighting, but because I've read up the least on that, I'm doing my research now, I don't plan on keeping anything to crazy right now , I'd like my tank to be at least 6-8 months old before I start with the coral, I do plan on getting uncured rock right now so maybe I'll catch a sweet freebie.

Appreciate the patience but no need to wait that long. If you ever want a fully stocked tank then you should setup a coral buying schedule. Depending on your budget get 1 or 2 corals every week (after your tank cycles of course).

Appreciate the patience but no need to wait that long. If you ever want a fully stocked tank then you should setup a coral buying schedule. Depending on your budget get 1 or 2 corals every week (after your tank cycles of course).

Thanks!I will definatley take that into consideration, but I feel like the stock lighting is going to limit my coral selection greatly. And how would you go about a schedule like that?

Where are you getting rock from?

I've been to the 3 LFS in my area and they all have the same rock which I think is Fiji , I kinda wanted something a little different. . Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ok so the tanks up, i checked for leaks , scratches and all that great stuff, but i can actually say its all good! Now another question. i have 10 gallons of saltwater mixing and heating, i just need some live rock, Now the question is , should i run around to some local fish stores and try and find some interesting ones, or just get it from premium aquatics?

photo-3-1_zps8ac76024.jpg

Welcome to the addiction! Personally, I prefer to hand pick LR. In 12 years of reefing I have never had to battle aiptasia, hair algae, majanos, etc., because they never got into my tank in the first place.

Welcome to the addiction! Personally, I prefer to hand pick LR. In 12 years of reefing I have never had to battle aiptasia, hair algae, majanos, etc., because they never got into my tank in the first place.

Is there anything specific I should look for while choosing harly?

:welcome:

This is such an exciting time - setting up a new tank! Welcome to N-R! :)

If you find live rock at your LFS that has great shapes, then I'd check for anything on it like aiptasia, majano and algae before purchasing it. There were a few too many aiptasias when I went around looking for my live rock. I ended up getting some Manado cured live rock from Premium Aquatics. But to be honest, sometimes I want to rescape with rock I picked out myself. But that's just because I get enticed by what I see around the boards. The rock was nicely colored, packed well and arrived quickly.

heres what it looked like at 12:30

photo-4-1_zps5302ff3a.jpg

and heres what it looks like at 4pm

photo-5_zps450538bb.jpg

Now, how much of a cycle you guys think im going to see? im going to wait until tuesday to test, and probably do a top off.

It's not a very big tank but I picture a huge frag column in that tank! I'd love to see this tank fully stocked. Nice scape buddy. Have you decided in reference to the lighting upgrade?

It's not a very big tank but I picture a huge frag column in that tank! I'd love to see this tank fully stocked. Nice scape buddy. Have you decided in reference to the lighting upgrade?

Thanks!! I'm looking into the jbj unibody, I don't want anything that's going to dwarf the tank though, maybe a par38 setup. I dunno, I need to do some more research, any suggestions?

Nice rock choice, i really like the shapes it has going on.

Thanks!!! My Tetris and doctor Mario skills kicked in ! I felt like a natural lol

Archived