Innovative Marine Aquariums

AI Nano Nuvo 16 Build (Now with BSJ!)

Rathje70

Hello!

Well after taking down my SPS dominated Biocube a year and a half ago (in my sig), I have decided to get back in the game with a smaller Nuvo 16 aquarium. I have had the tank up and running for a month or so now. So far here is what I have:

Nuvo 16 Aquarium
AI Nano
Vortech MP10
Added two Innovative Marine SpinStreams
Also upgraded media baskets to StevieTs and also purchased the refugium basket for Chaeto

JBJ ATO

I just put in a small CUC tonight to clean up a little bit of the algae that has grown so far.

Let me know what you think about lighting or any previous experiences, they are much appreciated!

I also plan to get a skimmer down the road. I have a Tunze 9002 sitting around, but there is not a good way of fitting it in any of the back chambers on the Nuvo, has anyone had any luck?

Here are some pictures when I first got it without the upgrades, excited to get this thing going! Newer pictures are further in the thread. Thanks!
Nuvo16_12-2.jpg
Nuvo16_12-2-2.jpg
Nuvo16_12-2-1-1.jpg

Feedback is appreciated! I am always willing to learn from other's experiences with this tank.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hey sounds like you have a good setup put together, how do you like the flow with the spin streams?

Thanks JC! I think the SpinStreams do a great job with the more natural random flow, but I cannot give you a great opinion without seeing any results with corals. The addition of my Biocube pump (around 250GPH) was a great addition and should have plenty of flow for SPS with the dual pumps.

I have the same tank in white with a handful of sps and upgraded to the cobalt mj1200 took the directional nozzles off to get less restriction but wanted to know about the spin streams like you said it creates a random flow rather than just direct flow

I have the same tank in white with a handful of sps and upgraded to the cobalt mj1200 took the directional nozzles off to get less restriction but wanted to know about the spin streams like you said it creates a random flow rather than just direct flow

So are you running dual pumps or just the mj1200? What kind of lighting fo you have for yout SPS?

You already paid out the ~$350 for the tank, might as Well dish out some more for some good lights. I just got an Ai sol off even with controller and hanging kit for $325. It's going over my space plans though. I'll hang the leds from that tank over the 16 when I get the sol though. The color of the stock lighting sucks IMO.

I run an AI sol 13 inches off water line and run a single mj1200 planning on getting an mp10 soon

I think the AI Sol is the way to go, but using two par38s is tempting, thanks for sharing your experiences, do you have a thread?

Great start. It will be nice to see this progress over time. I hope those LEDs are enough to grow the SPS you are looking for.

Thanks! I definitely need to upgrade the lights, just need to decide what direction I want to head. I am hoping to find a Sol Nano on here at a good price.

You already paid out the ~$350 for the tank, might as Well dish out some more for some good lights. I just got an Ai sol off even with controller and hanging kit for $325. It's going over my space plans though. I'll hang the leds from that tank over the 16 when I get the sol though. The color of the stock lighting sucks IMO.

Where did you find a deal like that?! I am not opposed to dishing out more money if I am confident in the light. The problem is that I live in an apartment and hanging the light isn't really a choice.

Does anyone have any experience with the Chinese fixtures on their nanos. I have read pretty good reviews on them.

He probably bought here on nano reef, got mine here for 375 with controller in mint condition used for six months but LEDs are good for at least six to ten years

He probably bought here on nano reef, got mine here for 375 with controller in mint condition used for six months but LEDs are good for at least six to ten years

Well I sure hope I run across a good deal as well!

Well I plan to stock my tank with a blue spot jawfish. I had one in my BC29 for about a year and it managed to find its way through my DIY cover. Not many concerns with the Nuvo other than the holes on the glass lid for your fingers and there is about a half inch gap that the glass top doesn't cover. I am thinking about getting some of the plastic channel that goes on typical aquarium lids and sliding that onto the glass top for the Nuvo, should work well.

Main objective right now is to find a light so I can hit the ground running when this thing gets cycled! Appreciate the feedback!

Well, I rearranged the rock work a bit, I wanted to go more towards the island type look. I plan to cover the island on the left with zoas and LPS and cover the right island with SPS. Thoughts?

Nuvo16_12-3.jpg

Well, I rearranged the rock work a bit, I wanted to go more towards the island type look. I plan to cover the island on the left with zoas and LPS and cover the right island with SPS. Thoughts?

Nuvo16_12-3.jpg

Well after some research, I just ordered a Kessil a150w 15k. This should provide plenty of coverage based on my research, look forward to it!

I don't know if it happens with your tank, but since mine has been up and running I could never keep a steady temperature with the lid on it. Caused it to run hotter and created more evaporation for me. Maybe a DIY screen lid?

not sure if you like the "blue blue" look, but the 15K is really blue.. I have the 10K on my Nuvo 16. While it's not quite enough blue, it's not overkill had I gone with 15K. I supplemented with a TrueLumens 24" Actinic LED strip with dimmer. And it's barely on.

Had I took a step back, I prob should have bought the A350 since they come out to be about the same price wise with both lights. I could have just dialed in the color and turned it down some.

As far as coverage is concerned. The Kessil 150's par readings start to die off past 12"s from the surface. You can find the numbers on a big thread on RC. Shouldn't be an issue with our tanks, but you will need to keep the light about 5-6 inches from the surface. When doing this, it limits coverage as it doesn't spread out the entire 23"s of the tank.

I only have a few SPS (birdsnest, bonsai, Acro, and Milli) along with a Crocea clam on the sand bed. I have put all of these in the middle of the tank directly under the light. Towards the outer parts i have my LPS and softies. So far everything seems to be good. Good growth on all SPS. The clam is happy as a peach.

I also upgraded the media baskets as well as added a fuge basket from mediabasket.com. They are specifically made for our tanks. = shop.mediabaskets.com/IM-Nuvo-16_c63.htm

IMO these are worth it. I run Chemi-Pure Elite, Purigen and white/blue finer filter in each of them. MUCH better quality then the stock baskets.

On the back of the fuge basket (on the tank) I have a JBJ nano light growing cheato. About every 1.5 to 2 weeks the fuge is packed solid and I throw a 3rd of it out and start over.

Not sure if you’ve noticed or not with your tank, but people have said two powerheads, one for each return caused temp issues. I run a single 900 and the flow is good. I also have a MP10 so I’m sure it doesn’t matter.

And lastly, get a ATO. Evap issues were causing what I think was salinity swings daily. I went through about 3 sets of snails that would die off within 2-3 days. After doing research i read where they were super sensitive to salinity swings. I added a JBJ ATO and my snails have been alive for over 4 months now. I also don't have to do daily manual top offs which is a plus.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Glad to help.

Not really happy with my scape at all.. but I plan on moving soon. And during the move I will redo it. As of now, this is how it stands:

im.jpg

Side shot. Ignore the bleached out brown coral closest to the front.. I picked this up recently to see if I could save it.. not even sure what it is.. was told a "orange birdsnest".. You can see the polyp extentsion on the green birdsnest and milli in the back.

28141650-FEC3-41A0-8406-19EB74710AF1-633-00000013BDBDFD4E.jpg

Bonsai.. before and after (2 months). Lost a lot of its color at first but is now coming back nicely.. I may need to move it down some though.

022D6ECB-DA0E-40AB-9C3F-6741172226A7-676-0000001546F9DD38.jpg

440DCDD7-5ADA-4443-B2D5-A001E9F8FB2E-612-0000001331773204.jpg

here is an old shot with just the kessil. You can kinda get an idea on the coverage from the shadows on the return nozzles:

photo2.jpg

I don't know if it happens with your tank, but since mine has been up and running I could never keep a steady temperature with the lid on it. Caused it to run hotter and created more evaporation for me. Maybe a DIY screen lid?

I will have to keep an eye on it, I have not yet noticed any fluctuations.

not sure if you like the "blue blue" look, but the 15K is really blue.. I have the 10K on my Nuvo 16. While it's not quite enough blue, it's not overkill had I gone with 15K. I supplemented with a TrueLumens 24" Actinic LED strip with dimmer. And it's barely on.

Had I took a step back, I prob should have bought the A350 since they come out to be about the same price wise with both lights. I could have just dialed in the color and turned it down some.

As far as coverage is concerned. The Kessil 150's par readings start to die off past 12"s from the surface. You can find the numbers on a big thread on RC. Shouldn't be an issue with our tanks, but you will need to keep the light about 5-6 inches from the surface. When doing this, it limits coverage as it doesn't spread out the entire 23"s of the tank.

I only have a few SPS (birdsnest, bonsai, Acro, and Milli) along with a Crocea clam on the sand bed. I have put all of these in the middle of the tank directly under the light. Towards the outer parts i have my LPS and softies. So far everything seems to be good. Good growth on all SPS. The clam is happy as a peach.

I also upgraded the media baskets as well as added a fuge basket from mediabasket.com. They are specifically made for our tanks. = shop.mediabaskets.com/IM-Nuvo-16_c63.htm

IMO these are worth it. I run Chemi-Pure Elite, Purigen and white/blue finer filter in each of them. MUCH better quality then the stock baskets.

On the back of the fuge basket (on the tank) I have a JBJ nano light growing cheato. About every 1.5 to 2 weeks the fuge is packed solid and I throw a 3rd of it out and start over.

Not sure if you’ve noticed or not with your tank, but people have said two powerheads, one for each return caused temp issues. I run a single 900 and the flow is good. I also have a MP10 so I’m sure it doesn’t matter.

And lastly, get a ATO. Evap issues were causing what I think was salinity swings daily. I went through about 3 sets of snails that would die off within 2-3 days. After doing research i read where they were super sensitive to salinity swings. I added a JBJ ATO and my snails have been alive for over 4 months now. I also don't have to do daily manual top offs which is a plus.

Not really happy with my scape at all.. but I plan on moving soon. And during the move I will redo it. As of now, this is how it stands:

im.jpg

Side shot. Ignore the bleached out brown coral closest to the front.. I picked this up recently to see if I could save it.. not even sure what it is.. was told a "orange birdsnest".. You can see the polyp extentsion on the green birdsnest and milli in the back.

Bonsai.. before and after (2 months). Lost a lot of its color at first but is now coming back nicely.. I may need to move it down some though.

here is an old shot with just the kessil. You can kinda get an idea on the coverage from the shadows on the return nozzles:

photo2.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the response, this is very helpful. I have already updated to intank's media and fuge baskets. I run Rox carbon and GFO from bulk reef supply. I plan to put chaeto and some rubble in my fuge basket shortly. Instead of throwing it away, would you mind shipping some to 52001? I will take care of shipping! :D let me know!

As for as the ATO, I plan to get one shortly and will probably go with the JBJ.

Now for the lights....thanks for the pictures! Those helped tremendously. I ended up finding a deal on an AI Sol Nano that I could not pass up, so i just ordered it. How is coverage with the AI Nano? For those of you using it, can you post pictures or experiences?

Appreciate it!

I will have to keep an eye on it, I have not yet noticed any fluctuations.

Wow! Thanks for the response, this is very helpful. I have already updated to intank's media and fuge baskets. I run Rox carbon and GFO from bulk reef supply. I plan to put chaeto and some rubble in my fuge basket shortly. Instead of throwing it away, would you mind shipping some to 52001? I will take care of shipping! :D let me know!

As for as the ATO, I plan to get one shortly and will probably go with the JBJ.

Now for the lights....thanks for the pictures! Those helped tremendously. I ended up finding a deal on an AI Sol Nano that I could not pass up, so i just ordered it. How is coverage with the AI Nano? For those of you using it, can you post pictures or experiences?

Appreciate it!

you really need some chaeto? lol.. if so I may be able to help out.

you really need some chaeto? lol.. if so I may be able to help out.

Yes! I would certainly take some off of your hands!

Are you running both the kessil and the nano? Here's a thread on the nano

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=282729

I plan on just running the nano, do you see any issues with that? I was wondering about coverage but I read it could covery a 24" tank. Any thoughts? It is on its way so I hope it works out!

Really like the Nuvo man!

I got the Nano about a week ago. I decided to suspend it a bit higher than the included arm would allow. No idea what settings I'm gonna eventually run when the controller gets here Thursday. It's hit or miss finding success stories. And even harder trying to find one running over a specific tank. I guess just not enough people drop the $300 on one.

That said. Im super excited about it, they look amazing and pump out a ton of light. I only ever had a 2 bulb T5 so keep that in mind. Ill be following along to see what success you have with it! My tank wont be wet for a few more weeks.

Really like the Nuvo man!

I got the Nano about a week ago. I decided to suspend it a bit higher than the included arm would allow. No idea what settings I'm gonna eventually run when the controller gets here Thursday. It's hit or miss finding success stories. And even harder trying to find one running over a specific tank. I guess just not enough people drop the $300 on one.

That said. Im super excited about it, they look amazing and pump out a ton of light. I only ever had a 2 bulb T5 so keep that in mind. Ill be following along to see what success you have with it! My tank wont be wet for a few more weeks.

Great to hear! I look forward to it! What are you using to suspend your right besides the arm it come with?

I have not yet ordered the controller but I assume it is a necessity as Ihave read if you put the nano on a timer and have it set at a certain setting, it will be reset once the light comes back on....that could be trouble. :o

Great to hear! I look forward to it! What are you using to suspend your right besides the arm it come with?

I have not yet ordered the controller but I assume it is a necessity as Ihave read if you put the nano on a timer and have it set at a certain setting, it will be reset once the light comes back on....that could be trouble. :o

Click the link in my sig, I just posted pictures of the light tree I made.

I think the unit is suppose to be able to remember saved settings but I couldn't get that function to work. It involves touching two buttons at once. I tried like 10 times and got nothing. I didn't fret too much because the controller really maximizes the lights potential IMO.

I don't see a problem just hang the fixture about 12 inches above water level and you should at least get 24 inches in coverage, our tanks aren't very deep and AI's are very bright you won't be running at 100% for awhile

Look forward to getting it, I will update all of you once I receive it and get it on my tank. I will try using the out of the box fixture to start, but will probably end up constructing my own. Look forward to it!

If anyone is interested in my stock Skyye lights, they are for sale!

I just got my nuvo 16g up and running.. def following this. thanks for all the info!

im.jpg

photo2.jpg

SFG- can you by chance show us how your media baskets and fuge basket is running? thanks

Archived