markalot

looking good!

Thanks!

Those coral colors are soooo nice. I love it! :D

So far so good. Thanks for visiting. :)

• 3 weeks later...

how much lr is in this tank?

Hi andre,

I have no idea how much. I've added as needed for decoration, but never kept track.

I'm no longer going to update this thread, keeping info for both my tanks in my 40 thread, that I've renamed Two Tubs of Coral. Link is in my signature. :) If one of my tanks ever breaks out of mediocrity I'll create its own thread.

Thanks for visiting!

• 7 months later...

... and now for the restart of the 20.

My goal is to house my poor purple firefish, a couple scarlet hermits, a few snails, and lots of colorful shrooms and a few z & p's. A real LOW maintenance tank and a place to experiment with how some corals do without a skimmer. I would love it if I can overload this with shrooms and zoas. I've moved my most colorful shrooms from the 46, where you could not really see them, over to here.

Filtration is a smaller AC hob filter with carbon and a pile of Chaeto algae hiding in a pocket behind some rocks on the left side.

Circulation is by 3 nano pumps, 460GPH each.

Lights are a BuildMyLED 24" reef spectrum strip (with the green LEDs masked with tape!) along with a low power Aquatic Life blue/white strip. I have a new 30" BML light which should arrive in early Jan with warm white, blues, a couple of reds, and UV.

Water changes done weekly when I change my other tanks. This tank gets a mix of old water from my 46 along with new.

I had been adding half a cap of 2 part but this will stop. KH is 10.5, calcium > 490. :)

FTS from a few days ago.

9wus.jpg

Right now I have a couple of frogspawn and some broken sps pieces from my 40 in here to see how they fare. Hammers and torches love my 46, but frogspawn do not for some reason.

• Like 2

Latest FTS
r71g.jpg

Photo dump of various corals. This tank gets ht best of both my other tanks. I see hair, bubble, turf, and caulerpa algae along with flatworms and a few Xenia stalks on the superman 'like' shroom rock. :D

v2o5.jpg

8d6q.jpg

4d0x.jpg

mrde.jpg

3lz4.jpg

4cf6.jpg

sogp.jpg

duj7.jpg

st4h.jpg

6vji.jpg

6crw.jpg

x45v.jpg

wu4m.jpg

• Like 1

looks good. i really like that orange ric.

Yea, I'm waiting for it to open up. When I went to my favorite LFS there was a guy trying to sell some corals to the store. Store owner is good guy and let me have first dibs. Picked up the rics and a small frag of zoas for $15. Rics always look brighter when they're closed up so I'm curious what it will look like when fully expanded.

Quick update. Not much has changed. Moved a few rics from the 40 into here, scooted some stuff around.

FTS
oj5q.jpg

Closeup of one of the oj rics. Looks kind of alien. :)
pa5q.jpg

• Like 2

fts

zo2k.jpg

2 gallon water change today, just enough to suck up some of the crap on the sandbed and give the firefish another reason to hide.

Added a Clown Goby, a larger one, and I've gotten him to eat brine shrimp flakes.

Added two scarlet hermits and moved my Halloween Hermit from the 40 into here. These guys never seem to bother snails or change shells, unlike the blue legged and thin striped varieties.

Look at me putting SPS pieces in here, all scraps from the 40. Latest is a birdsnest piece that was broken off by the thin striped hermit. I'm just curious how well they do, if they do well at all.

There is no real export in this tank other than water changes and a clump of chaeto behind the rocks. This will be a problem, eventually.

The 20 is already infected with AEFW, it held all the acros during my failed treatment so I have to assume they are still in the tank for at least 90 days. These SPS are only montis and birdsnest anyway. :) I cannot move anything from the 40 or the 20 into the 46, but I can move things (one way only) from the 46 into either. I have to make sure, when I do water changes, that I do the 46 first. I have this written on notes above the other tanks to make sure I don't forget!

But you have bugs on the SPS

Not much going on. The scarlet hermits seem to do absolutely nothing. The Halloween hermit has cleaned just about every rock, so he gets my vote for hermit of the month. One of the cool things about owning thin striped hermits is that I know, if algae gets out of control, I can put one of them in here and it will be gone in a day. Of course they will rescape the tank while they're at it.

FTS using a 50mm lens, so I'm pretty much across the room to fit the entire tank in. :) Only change from last time is I have a BuildMyLED fixture running at 20% over the front of the tank and the ReefBright fixture moved further back to give the Gorgonian more light.

mplf.jpg

• Like 1

That gorg is awesome! :)

Very nice, I like the ric garden!

Thanks. It bent toward the light in my 46 and I'm not sure if it will straighten out or not. I cut it at the base and now it's starting to grow a stalk in my other tank. :) Pretty hardy gorg.

My rics need more color!