ReefCleaners.org

Jamies 13.3g custom

Blueworld

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and on that note!, can any one tell me what this is all about?

30 lbs of dry rock + 1 large can of pond foam + 1 sheet of egg create = .....

DSCF3913.jpg

Hey everyone, time for an update!! over the last day or so i have been slowly turning this

DSCF3913.jpg

into this!!

DSCF3919.jpg

DSCF3920.jpg

DSCF3921.jpg

DSCF3922.jpg

I still have a ton more work to do on it to make it look perfect and fit the same way, i also need to try out a few things to make the foam look identical to the rocks then epoxy it all and cover it in sand but its getting there!

ohh and yesterday this showed up in the mail! its 10 feet of 3/4 inch braided cable wrap! now i can clean up my wiring and make it look pretty too!!

DSCF3914.jpg

All clean!!

DSCF3917.jpg

DSCF3918.jpg

With that perfect hardware/plumbing set up, we have very high expectations for the scape!!!

So far so good!

hahaha im trying im trying!! so far i think it looks great but not perfect, i have a bunch more to do it before my foreman can deem it worthy of putting in the tank haha

So for all of you guys out there that just cant resist seeing what the rock wall is turning out like, here is a little sneak peak!!

DSCF3940.jpg

DSCF3939.jpg

DSCF3938.jpg

DSCF3937.jpg

DSCF3936.jpg

DSCF3935.jpg

DSCF3934.jpg

DSCF3933.jpg

DSCF3932.jpg

DSCF3931.jpg

DSCF3930.jpg

DSCF3929.jpg

okay so i took more then a few haha but i should be getting epoxy and sand on it in the next week and then ill let it sit in a bucket of saltwater for a week or so to make sure that all the dust is off the rock and that the epoxy did its job, then its on the Light and water!!!

The scape looks amazing. However I will say that the rock that is above water will stay white in color and the rock work underwater will darken with time. Not being critical this happened with my tank and it's just a heads up; you might care down the road.

And just when I thought this setup couldn't get any cooler... You continue to amaze! Well done. I see you've got a waterfall planned. What are you stocking up top? Perhaps some greenery to disguise the fact that the rock will eventually be two different colors?

The scape looks amazing. However I will say that the rock that is above water will stay white in color and the rock work underwater will darken with time. Not being critical this happened with my tank and it's just a heads up; you might care down the road.

And just when I thought this setup couldn't get any cooler... You continue to amaze! Well done. I see you've got a waterfall planned. What are you stocking up top? Perhaps some greenery to disguise the fact that the rock will eventually be two different colors?

Yes i have a water fall planned out, im hoping that the pool i made up top will be deep enough that i can stock some zoa's in there, and yes i was thinking about some greens to cover the rock, I dont know what yet maybe moss or something.

Do you guys have any suggestions for what would look sweet up top?

Dude I did not expect this lvl of awesome in a 13 gallon really really good stuff here!

hahaha i dont really do things small if that isn't contradicting to the size of the tank hahaha

one note to plan for on the waterfall pond ... it is a great place to trap detritus ... I had one setup and the zoas would do great but, as the crud accumulated, it would irritate them ... it made it a challenge to keep them happy

Yes i have a water fall planned out, im hoping that the pool i made up top will be deep enough that i can stock some zoa's in there, and yes i was thinking about some greens to cover the rock, I dont know what yet maybe moss or something.

Do you guys have any suggestions for what would look sweet up top?

Zoa's would be great up there, as would something like GSP or Blue Cloves to really get the 'carpet' effect going. As for the camouflage... good question. Some sphagnum moss would be easy, prolific, and not mess with the sense of scale though I admittedly don't know how it takes to saltwater. Small orchids or bromeliads could be pretty cool, too if the salt didn't bother them.

one note to plan for on the waterfall pond ... it is a great place to trap detritus ... I had one setup and the zoas would do great but, as the crud accumulated, it would irritate them ... it made it a challenge to keep them happy

OHH good point, i hadnt quite thought of that. I know that the water im using will come from my return line and my skimmer is pretty hefty for a little tank, ill have to keep and eye on it when it gets going and see what happens, I guess i should also have fun when my algae bloom comes too haha dam saltwater hey haha

Zoa's would be great up there, as would something like GSP or Blue Cloves to really get the 'carpet' effect going. As for the camouflage... good question. Some sphagnum moss would be easy, prolific, and not mess with the sense of scale though I admittedly don't know how it takes to saltwater. Small orchids or bromeliads could be pretty cool, too if the salt didn't bother them.

Orchids would be SICK!!!! I'm going to have to become a botanist now too haha, i don't have a great vocabulary when it comes to plants and moss and stuff that grows outside the water haha

I was thinking like some kind of vine type plant that could overhang the edge of the waterfall, or maybe vine that has flowers on it too, when i think of flowers and plants though i don't know any that stay small, and kind of encrust a surface rather then shoot out like a typical flower would

Zoa's and cloves would be awesome though, just so long as they don't start to migrate and take over my tank

This. Is. Amazing. - basically all I can say.

I can't wait to see this thing stocked. What are you planning to stock, may I ask?

Man, your attention to detail is awesome! I love the little waterfall idea attached to your return line! Ingenious! Very very good! Thank you for entertaining us with your perfection! I'll definitely be following!

Just curious, what were your reasons to pick the Apex controller over another type of controller? Thanks!

This. Is. Amazing. - basically all I can say.

I can't wait to see this thing stocked. What are you planning to stock, may I ask?

Man, your attention to detail is awesome! I love the little waterfall idea attached to your return line! Ingenious! Very very good! Thank you for entertaining us with your perfection! I'll definitely be following!

Just curious, what were your reasons to pick the Apex controller over another type of controller? Thanks!

Thank you!! im a perfectionist and pretty anal about some things haha. I chose the apex simply because they are in my opinion the most diverse and expandable controller on the market. they might not be the cheapest, but the amount of module options is crazy, and then to top it all off you can build your own boxes that can be easily programmed to do pretty much any task, if you really wanted to you could use it to run every function in your house that requires an electrical signal. they are just awesome systems

Oh and as far as stocking the tank, I'm right now set on a pair of pipe fish, but i dont know what else just yet

Look what showed up today in the mail! Its a matching set of 8, 360 degree rotatable flat wall plugs, so that my cords don't get in the way of my sump when im moving the slider in an out! soon they will be covered with a plexi-glass case that keep everything water tight, but were moving in the right direction

DSCF3949.jpg

DSCF3948.jpg

okay okay okay!!

so i got the first coat of epoxy and sand done but there are still spots that arent covered as much as i would like them to be! here is what it looks like right now

DSCF3953_zpsf7d01170.jpg

[DSCF3954_zps4076d67b.jpg

DSCF3955_zpsbfeb2730.jpg

DSCF3956_zps836b598a.jpg

DSCF3957_zps03f53862.jpg

I had a thought while i was working on it, but im not to sure how it will work. Anyway's i want to try to replicate an island surround by a coral reef, i know that most islands are volcanic and that rock is dark if not black that fades to a lighter grey or brown as it approaches the water. How could i colour up the rock above the water to a darker colour almost black. Could i put the some food die in the epoxy when i brush it on?

I just want to say this tank is incredible what are your plans for stocking it? and

what about lighting? I'm defently subscribing

Thanks!! and happy to have someone else following!!

Im going to start out stocking the tank with a beautiful pair of Janss pipefish or a mixed pair or Janss and yellow banded pipefish, after that im not to sure, I know that sexy shrimp are to big for the pipes so ill put a few of those in there, and something a little more active if my bio load isnt to much right off the bat. Im also looking at some kind of small land/sea crab for the exposed rock but everything im finding so far is pretty big and could easily escape haha

As for lighting it, i have gone to an extreme length to make sure that nothing is taking the eye away from the life in the tank so i dont want my light to be in the way. I was looking to do something like what this guy did over on the RC Forums it keeps the lights up high on my roof and keeps the fixture from being distracting. my only issue now is finding a way to spread it out enough to get into all the rockwork under the waterfall

Archived