ReefCleaners.org

Lowest cost way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae

SantaMonica

SantaMonica

Lowest cost and easiest way to eliminate green hair, bubble, turf and slime algae from your nano (hopefully permanently).

This new test version of the algae scrubber is much easier to build than the waterfall version (the Mega Powerful one), and is perfect for nano's. This new scrubber has never been posted before May 2012. It works in both freshwater and saltwater.

If you are like most aquatic hobbyists, nuisance algae is an ongoing problem. You try to feed your livestock, and the next thing you know, you get algae. You've already tried many fixes; some work but are expensive; some kind of work but you're not sure; and some just don't work at all.

Think about what is happening: Your aquarium is accumulating nutrients (nitrate and phosphate) because of the food you feed. Algae eat nitrate and phosphate to grow, so the algae are having a great time growing in your water because they are eating all your nutrients! What to do?

Well think about this: In order to grow, algae must be provided with nitrate and phosphate. So why can't you just use the algae to consume all the nitrate and phosphate? The answer: You can! How? With a simple device you build called an Upflow Algae Scrubber. It's simple, cheap, and you can make a small one in just a few minutes with parts you probably already have. I'll be posting more complex versions later, but here are some pics of the most basic design that you can use for testing:

(will be updated periodically)

Post1.jpg

An "algae scrubber" is a simple filter that actually grows algae in the filter, so that the algae do not grow in other parts of your aquarium. Simply put, the conditions for algae growth inside the filter are better than the conditions in the rest of your aquarium; thus the algae grow in the filter instead of your aquarium, and then you just remove the algae from the filter and throw the algae away. But in order for the algae to grow in the filter, the algae need to consume nitrate and phosphate; so guess where the nitrate and phosphate come from? Your water!

If you stop and think about it, algae always grow in certain spots, and not in others. This is because some of the three growing conditions (light, flow, nutrients) are better in some parts of your water than they are in others. An "upflow algae scrubber" simply optimizes these conditions, and does so at a place where the algae can be easily removed and thrown away. And once the nitrate and phosphate have been removed from your water, all other nuisance algae such as green hair, bubble, turf and slime, will have a hard time staying alive.

So where have these filters been all this time, and why haven't you heard of them if they work so well? Well the original waterfall version (the Mega Powerful thread posted in August 2008) was hard to build, and was not really for sale anywhere; so unless you liked to build things from scratch, you had no choice but to buy some other kind of filter. All the filter really needed to do was to create good growing conditions (light, flow, nutrients) for the algae, by flowing the water across a piece of rough material, so that the algae would grow on the material instead of somewhere else in the aquarium. The waterfall algae scrubber did grow lots of algae in the filter, and it removed lots of algae from aquariums: Over 1,000 people built their own waterfall algae scrubbers, and reported their results on various forums during a 4 year period; almost all of them wiped out their nuisance algae within 8 weeks, and many did so in 4 weeks. And on other forums that I never posted on, an estimated 10,000 people built their own waterfall algae scrubbers with similar results.

A little over a year ago in April 2011, another idea came along: Instead of letting the water flow down a screen like a waterfall, how about you let the water flow up the screen using air bubbles? Why? Because as good as waterfall algae scrubbers are, they still need a place for the water to drain "down" to. This means that you need to have a sump below the aquarium, or you need to have the scrubber up above the aquarium. This is not easy, and is very difficult for a nano aquarium which usually has no sump below it, and no room above it. Also, the waterfall version requires it to be out of the water (in the air), which takes up extra space. The new "upflow" version, however, can be placed inside the aquarium, so that it takes up no extra space at all, and it needs no external plumbing or water pumps at all. Only air bubbles.

The Upflow Algae Scrubber (UAS) provides the best growing conditions for algae in your tank: Air bubbles provide rapid turbulent flow; Strong lighting provides the light; and the nutrients that are already in your water provide the nitrate and phosphate. All that's needed is a place for the algae to attach to, and that is provided by the roughed-up plastic screen. Thus the algae start growing on the screen because the flow and lighting are stronger there than they are in the rest of your aquarium; nitrate and phosphate are consumed in the process. This causes algae to start disappearing from your aquarium and start re-appearing on the scrubber screen, so that you can throw the algae away every week or two.

The most basic way to set up an Upflow Algae Scrubber, especially in small aquariums, is just to put some air bubbles beneath a vertical screen. If inside an aquarium, you just put a light on the outside of the glass, so that it shines inside to the screen. And if you want better performance (which means better filtering), just add a reflector to give the screen some light on both sides. The screen is best made with 7-mesh cross stitch plastic canvas that you get at sewing or craft stores, or online. Also, don't forget to rough up the screen with a sharp object like a hole saw; the screen should be so rough that the screen holes are almost filled in with all the little pieces of plastic that you roughed up.

One thing to remember is that an Upflow Algae Scrubber (or any algae scrubber) will not cause more algae to grow in your aquarium. Instead, the algae will disappear from your aquarium, and will start to grow on the scrubber screen instead. You then just remove the screen and scrape the algae off. And here's a surprise: Watch out for your fish or snails eating your filter! There's nothing tastier than live green algae, so your fish or snails may keep your screen from getting very thick. The simple solution is to just put some mesh or netting around it.

There are a couple of requirements that have been learned since August 2008 which will get you started quicker. The size of the Upflow Algae Scrubber that is needed is based on how much you feed, and not how much water you have, because the nutrients that cause algae to grow come from the food you feed. The following updated picture has size guidelines:

Sizing.jpg

And the following updated picture has examples:

Examples.jpg

So build a UAS and post your pictures! If I see your post or question I'll try to respond within a day.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
devilsadvocate

ok so read the first paragraph, and it looks like your not actually solving the problem, just getting it off your rocks.

Trogdor447

Frequent water changes with RO/DI + clean up crew from johny - mind you once my rocks stopped leaking phosphates the problem went away in a couple of weeks

SantaMonica
i would like to see this in action

Should be easy enough to test... just drop it in the tank. Once it starts growing, your fish and snails will be all over it.

Euphyllia

For green hair and turf... TURBO SNAILS. They will fix ALL OF IT.

Increase flow. I know it sounds like it won't work, but it will. In low-flow areas, alga like slime will build up. May be true for other kinds too. Not sure what you can do about bubble, but what I have done is put reef-safe super glue all around the bubble and it kills it without releasing spores... Or at least it prevents it from spreading.

Get one of them old rotatin' spinny flow head thingy-mabobbers. :happy:

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I have started mean patches of hair algae, so off I went to purchase phosphate bag and nitrate bag, dropped them in and have seen a decline in my trates and phates!

Went to purchase a seahare from LFS, came back $21 dollars short and this guy refused to eat the algae, he said yuck I saw his face!

Called LFS and they said give him a week, it's been 4 days and nothing!

Not all species look like they eat the hair algae, but I have seen some that love this ugly stuff, literally mow it clean!

LFS said they will give me another when they get him in stock!

Any suggestions on the right species?

Thanks,

MG

TeflonTomDosh
For green hair and turf... TURBO SNAILS. They will fix ALL OF IT.

Increase flow. I know it sounds like it won't work, but it will. In low-flow areas, alga like slime will build up. May be true for other kinds too. Not sure what you can do about bubble, but what I have done is put reef-safe super glue all around the bubble and it kills it without releasing spores... Or at least it prevents it from spreading.

Get one of them old rotatin' spinny flow head thingy-mabobbers. :happy:

I'll second this, turbo snails are like john deeres when it comes to gha, a lot cheaper and aesthetically pleasing than having mirrors and sewing supplies in your tank too, imo.

Psychosis

Personally Mike, I wouldn't bother. It would be a lot more cost effective and less hazardous to simply increase water changes, siphon, and turkey baste the rocks.

If you're more interested in a short term housing situation, I'd reccomend a tiny tuxedo urchin. They'll destroy hair algae, coralline, film algae...basically any thing green or red that isn't cyano. Plus, at a moderate 2 inches, they're actually easy to maintain long term if in a system of 20 gallons or better. Oh, and they're amusing as all hell.

That said, the all time king of water quality still is, and will remain in the future, water changes. It's like reducing nitrates, doseing, and detrius removal in one clean and painless motion. All other filtration should essentially be viewed as water change supplementation, IMO.

The UAF does sound promising, but I have to ask, what is the benefit when compared to a more traditional ball of Chaetomorpha? It's the same basic concept, all most the same equipment, but chaeto doesn't need bubbles, or a rough textured surface to attach too, and maintenance is as easy as seperating out a small bundle and passing it on to another reefer.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I'll second this, turbo snails are like john deeres when it comes to gha, a lot cheaper and aesthetically pleasing than having mirrors and sewing supplies in your tank too, imo.

Have one turbo snail, he won't touch it!

Personally Mike, I wouldn't bother. It would be a lot more cost effective and less hazardous to simply increase water changes, siphon, and turkey baste the rocks.

If you're more interested in a short term housing situation, I'd reccomend a tiny tuxedo urchin. They'll destroy hair algae, coralline, film algae...basically any thing green or red that isn't cyano. Plus, at a moderate 2 inches, they're actually easy to maintain long term if in a system of 20 gallons or better. Oh, and they're amusing as all hell.

That said, the all time king of water quality still is, and will remain in the future, water changes. It's like reducing nitrates, doseing, and detrius removal in one clean and painless motion. All other filtration should essentially be viewed as water change supplementation, IMO.

The UAF does sound promising, but I have to ask, what is the benefit when compared to a more traditional ball of Chaetomorpha? It's the same basic concept, all most the same equipment, but chaeto doesn't need bubbles, or a rough textured surface to attach too, and maintenance is as easy as seperating out a small bundle and passing it on to another reefer.

I have an acrylic tank, will the Tuxedo Urchin scratch my tank with his mouth? I have zero coraline or algae on the sides, crystal clear.

I have the patches of green on select areas of the live rock, small balls of stringy cotton!

I placed in the Seachem Phosphate bag and Nitrate bag, what a major improvement but I guess I have to do two 5 gallon water changes.

It's a 25 gallon tank....

Thanks,

MG

TeflonTomDosh

Have one turbo snail, he won't touch it!

Is it the big one? The Mexican? That's what I have in my NanoCube and he went through all of it the first day he was in there.

Psychosis

Oh, right, duh. No Tuxedo's in an acrylic tank. It's not extremly likely it'll get scratched up, but if that urchin tries to make a corner on your front pane the spines are probably going to hit something. Not good.

I had an emerald destroy hair algae as well, but more and more I think he was a fluke.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

My snail is from Petco and he won't touch it, he's the size of a quarter!

I don't think he's from Mexico, but I will try that tomorrow, I know my LFS has them. I will check his paperwork and make sure his green card says Mexican! :)

The Urchin is a NO GO! I have acrylic!

TeflonTomDosh
I got him at Petco and he won't touch it, he's the size of a quarter!

I don't think he's from Mexico, but I will try that tomorrow, I know my LFS has them. I will check his paperwork and make sure his green card says Mexican! :)

The Urchin is a NO GO! I have acrylic!

If your tank is 25 gallon you'll need 250 of them.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
If your tank is 25 gallon you'll need 250 of them.

That many Mexicans to cut my lawn? Are you serious? :o

TeflonTomDosh
That many Mexicans to cut my lawn? Are you serious? :o

I just have one in my 12 gallon. If you get a mexican, one or two should do. One would probably clear it out slow, but he'd have enough to stay busy for a while. I figured this was NR appropriate

35pb09.jpg

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

LOL,

That was a funny picture! I didn't want to get too many Mexicans comfortable in my reef, they might not want to leave and when you invite more than one Mexican to your reef, they might never leave the fiesta!

TeflonTomDosh
LOL,

That was a funny picture! I didn't want to get too many Mexicans comfortable in my reef, they might not want to leave and when you invite more than one Mexican to your reef, they might never leave the fiesta!

Yeah, I'd stick to one. If you got two, one might be a male, and one might be a female, you'd have 4,000 of them in there before you knew it.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Yeah, I'd stick to one. If you got two, one might be a male, and one might be a female, you'd have 4,000 of them in there before you knew it.

LOL

Here are some pics of what the Mexicans need to clean up!

egd8gk.jpg

oe3v4.jpg

For of all of you bashing the ATS, what evidence or experience have you to back up your overconfidence of its uselessness?

A few of my friends have recently incorporated ATS to their reef systems as it is easy and cheap to DIY even if just for the doings sake. After few weeks of use they all have seen noticeable results. Especially NO3 and PO4 levels have plummeted. Some say it pulls so much nutrients from the water even zoas and palys have hard time. Comparison of weekly dry weight increase between macro algae such as chaetomorpha and ATS microalgae favors ATS many times over.

While I agree this might not be at its best in nano aquaria, ATS has proven great benefits in larger SPS reefs and heavily stocked fish tanks as weekly 50% WC just isn't feasible.

Peace out.

SantaMonica
the all time king of water quality still is, and will remain in the future, water changes

Thing is, w/c removes food particles too, that could have gone to corals. And then there is time and cost of course.

what is the benefit when compared to a more traditional ball of Chaetomorpha?

Growth rate (which is the same as filtering rate). The high turbulence of the bubbles, combined with the CO2 inside the bubbles, allows that algae to out-compete other nuisance algae. And being a sheet, it does not block light from reaching down into the growth. Will kill chaeto if they are in the same system.

Some say it pulls so much nutrients from the water even zoas and palys have hard time

My fav fix if that ever happens is to triple the feeding.

While I agree this might not be at its best in nano aquaria,

Of course, this design is a simple test version that is not meant to look pretty. Future designs are more "filter like".

Archived