Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

Next up is you have a device labled a UPS and not a battery backup as the source of power in the event of a power failure. If it is a true UPS, it's run time will be very short, less than an hour at a guess with the amount of stuff you have plugged into it. I don't know if you've calculated how long your run time will be, but I suggest you do if you haven't. You might also consider removing everything except the apex, wireless bridge, and the MP10 from the UPS. Or at the very least lowering the on temp of the heater if the power had failed. The UPS connected to the main system is APS 1300Va 780watts model, It can run 200watts for 45 minutes, I have tested that, the other UPS powers just the wireless router and is APS 550Va and can keep the router running 2+ hours. The thing to keep in mind is, the UPS is really only in place to power the Apex system and wireless long enough to send an email that there is a power interruption. In addition, the UPS can power the system for short power interruptions <45min). In the event of a long term outage, I would use a power inverter. Also, I live in the "COLD land", if power goes off in the winter my tank can loose more than a degree an hour, this is why I want to keep the heater powered up.

This is where it comes down to a decision on what the first thing to kill your tank will be. For me, it would be oxygen, not temp so I'd want the pumps to run more than I would the heater. If 45 minutes of heat is more important than 10 hours of pumps, that's your call based on your enviroment.

Have you considered picking up an EB4 or EB8 to give you more outlets so you have control over everything on the powerbar? Yes I have but that will be in a couple of months. I spent 2 grand on my tank in the last 2 months, lol.

Been there, done that and complately understand.

Do you ever plan on running LED1, 2 and 3 at different times? Especially LED1&3. Those look to be combinable on either a single plug in your setup, or combined on a power strip and then the power strip plugged into a single outlet there by saving you at least 1 if not 2 outlets. Yes I would like to control all 3 fixtures separately, I realize fixtures 1 & 3 are the same spectrum but they effect different parts of the tank slightly. "Control Freak" :)

I agree with the controll freak aspect. The only question is would you rather control something else instead.

Why are you tying your moonlights in to your return pump? This sounds like it would make them almost impossible to turn on and off in any kind of reasonable manner. Given some of the suggestions above, I think you should be able to find an outlet to plug them into. I knew that one would attract attention. I leave my TV 6 watt moon lights on 24/7, they serve two purposes. I could possibly plug them direct into the UPS or EB8 but at the moment they do not require a separate outlet. If I have an extra EB8 outlet I will, and definitely in the future.

Ok, so they're really a TV LED you're leaving on 24/7, now it makes sense. I would still recommend you moving them off of the circuit and onto something else as you'll want to be able to turn your return pump off w/o turning off the lights for feeding, maintance, etc.

Do you have any plans for float switches or contact switches in this setup? I'm a big fan of float switches. They can be used to do more than just control ATOs when you've got an Apex. Having a high or low float switch gives you a lot of programming options. Like forcing your return pump on if your sump is about to overflow. Or sending you an e-mail that your ATO reseviour is empty. Also, contact switches (the magnetic ones you see on doors) are cheaper than dirt, like 2$ or something, and can be used to automate things when you open your cabnet doors. Yes, 100% in the future, I am thinking of a new build in a year or so, when that happens I will add a Break Out Box and play around with some sensors etc, but not for this build.

You can buy a 1$ 8 pin mini dim connector and solder stuff to it. There's no need for the breakout box. It's just a pricy convience.

I see you have a tunze and an extra 0-10V line, have you considered using the Apex to run the tunze? One of the best features of the Apex is the feed modes (it's called standby in the RK world) which lets you put everything into a temporary state for a preset time while you do something. Like turn off your powerheads and return pump for maintance, but it'll also turn them back on again after 15 or 30 minutes (your choice) and then your skimmer a few minutes later. Or turn the lights on at night but will automatically shut them off after 15 minutes so you don't forget them. The Tunze I have is a 6015, as far as I know it will not work V/S, but I agree, I will find a use for the extra V/S port sooner than later and maybe add an additional VSM as well and go all Tunze pumps down the line.

I don't know much about the tunze and if that one is capable or not.

Oh, and I'm a little confused, you've got an MP10 and a tunze pump? What's the tunze for? Tunze is just for filling in a few low flow areas in the tank, my rock work makes it hard for even the MP10 to accomplish. Like I said, down the road I will do away with Vortech pumps and get a controllable Tunze pump system in place.

Makes sense. Keep in mind with the right modules Vortech can be apex controlled as well. Also, you'll want to turn the tunze off for feeding, etc.

Ok, hopefully you'll find at least some of the above useful. I know it always helps me to get another set of eyes on things. I'm sure you've already considered 90% of the above, but if you find one thing that helps you, then it's worth it. Thanks for taking so much time to look my plan over, really thanks! I agree with your points and yes considered some already. I feel a little overwhelmed with this system and the complexity of programming at this point, once I get my head around it all I am sure to make some changes, in fact I'm sure the changes will be ongoing. I think in the near future an additional EB8 is the best way to go, and would solve most of the issues you pointed out above. I think if I can get it up and running I will see even more opportunities for improvements.

Open a text file and plan everything out. Or an excel spreadsheet then make the text file. It'll help.

The one question I have at this point, and could not find in the manual is... Can individual EB8 outlets be controlled by the "If power apex OFF" statement ? As you can see in the wiring plan, I have the power adaptor on the apex base unit in place to detect a power outage, I was hoping to program everything on the EB8 to run in this case except the LED's for obvious reasons. I am using the ELN60-48D drivers (arrived yesterday) and expect I will need to cut power to them after the RampDown is complete, this is why I have them on the EB8. If I cannot do this "per outlet", I will definitely need to buy an additional EB8 to run this "If power apex OFF" statement and use one EB8 for the rest of my equipment. Any idea?

Thanks again,

Christine

IIRC, yes. You should be able to control each outlet independently based on if you are on backup power or not with the right setup. I don't run a UPS, so I haven't done that much readying. I'm in a meeting today, so it'll probably be this afternoon before I can respond again.
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Ok, so they're really a TV LED you're leaving on 24/7, now it makes sense. I would still recommend you moving them off of the circuit and onto something else as you'll want to be able to turn your return pump off w/o turning off the lights for feeding, maintance, etc."

Yes they are Ecoxotic 405nm, I will move them off the the circuit, possibly the UPS direct, I have a separate Ecoxotic dimmer switch I could use for them.

"You can buy a 1$ 8 pin mini dim connector and solder stuff to it. There's no need for the breakout box. It's just a pricy convience."

Hummmm. Okay.

"I don't know much about the tunze and if that one is capable or not."

Ya, I'm pretty sure it is not, you need the DC controllable pumps, I think Turbelle Pumps would do the trick, much more expensive.

"Open a text file and plan everything out. Or an excel spreadsheet then make the text file. It'll help."

LOL, I started to do that, my head is exploding ATM.

"IIRC, yes. You should be able to control each outlet independently based on if you are on backup power or not with the right setup. I don't run a UPS, so I haven't done that much readying. I'm in a meeting today, so it'll probably be this afternoon before I can respond again. "

I hope this is true otherwise back to the drawing board, haha.

Thanks again for all your wisdom :)

Officially one of my inspirational tanks

Thanks, that means a lot to me :) Glad to have you along.

How did this tank not get TOTM

There are many tanks that deserve TOTM here on this site, anyway, not a priority for me.

aliens.

Where? Have you seen them? I so want to meet some :)

• Like 1
"Ok, so they're really a TV LED you're leaving on 24/7, now it makes sense. I would still recommend you moving them off of the circuit and onto something else as you'll want to be able to turn your return pump off w/o turning off the lights for feeding, maintance, etc."

Yes they are Ecoxotic 405nm, I will move them off the the circuit, possibly the UPS direct, I have a separate Ecoxotic dimmer switch I could use for them.

"You can buy a 1$ 8 pin mini dim connector and solder stuff to it. There's no need for the breakout box. It's just a pricy convience."

Hummmm. Okay.

"I don't know much about the tunze and if that one is capable or not."

Ya, I'm pretty sure it is not, you need the DC controllable pumps, I think http://www.tunze.com/149.html?&L=1&C=CA&type=&user_tunzeprod_pi1[predid'>=-infoxunter063]Turbelle Pumps would do the trick, much more expensive.

"Open a text file and plan everything out. Or an excel spreadsheet then make the text file. It'll help."

LOL, I started to do that, my head is exploding ATM.

"IIRC, yes. You should be able to control each outlet independently based on if you are on backup power or not with the right setup. I don't run a UPS, so I haven't done that much readying. I'm in a meeting today, so it'll probably be this afternoon before I can respond again. "

I hope this is true otherwise back to the drawing board, haha.

Thanks again for all your wisdom :)

Np. One of the main reasons i Went with the apex was for thefeed modes and switches. You went with it to control power after a failure so there are different perspectives. Hopefully it spsrcs new ideas.

Np. One of the main reasons i Went with the apex was for thefeed modes and switches. You went with it to control power after a failure so there are different perspectives. Hopefully it spsrcs new ideas.

I bought it to do my laundry, even in a power failure, :haha:

:D

• Like 1

I picked up the Apex today, to my surprise a DC 12V 500ma adaptor was not included. I found one on my way home fairly easy. I also picked up some pH calibration fluid (pH 4 and 7) for when I actually get to that point in the set up, likely day's away. The manager at the LFS said to down load the "Unofficial Apex Guide"? and read through it, so I will look for that and read some more when I have the chance. I am going to wire up the dimming drivers and calibrate the outputs on them to 750mA each. Then start downloading firmware etc on the Apex. This whole upgrade including full Apex, lab grade pH and ORP probes, 3 ELN60-48D drivers and connections/plugs, 12V adaptor, and 2 DIMCAB2 channel dimming cables has totalled almost $1000.00 with taxes and shipping. Amazing how things add up quickly in this hobby isn't it ! :blink:

Manual can be found here:

http://www.neptunesystems.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Comprehensive-Reference-Manual-v1_0.pdf

And it's no longer "unofficial"

Also, you'll probably want the 7 and 10 pH solutions, not the 7 and 4.

It does all add up quickly for sure.

Oh, and the Apex probably has the latest firmware.

Thanks, I have the manual and I just found out minutes ago Apex adopted the Unofficial into their official guide and made it one.

I have some pH10 calibration fluid as well. I read somewhere, can't remember where now, that pH 4 calibration solution was suitable for storing pH and ORP probes, thought I would get some in case I had to store the probes. These are lab grade and they are shipped in pH 4 solution, they cannot dry out or they will be damaged.

I hope it does have the latest firmware, one less hassle :)

Thanks again for all your help, I may come calling when I get this thing plugged in finally.

-Oh and I remembered why I combined the moon lights with the return pump. I was thinking they may not draw enough wattage to trigger the silent solid state switches. Anyway, I decided to just hook them directly to the UPS until I get another EB8. :)

How did I miss is thread for so many months? Tank sure is a beauty I see a TOTM very soon.

Because it's not as exciting as some of the other threads :rolleyes:... glad you found it eventually. Thank you :)

Thanks, I have the manual and I just found out minutes ago Apex adopted the Unofficial into their official guide and made it one.

I have some pH10 calibration fluid as well. I read somewhere, can't remember where now, that pH 4 calibration solution was suitable for storing pH and ORP probes, thought I would get some in case I had to store the probes. These are lab grade and they are shipped in pH 4 solution, they cannot dry out or they will be damaged.

I hope it does have the latest firmware, one less hassle :)

Thanks again for all your help, I may come calling when I get this thing plugged in finally.

-Oh and I remembered why I combined the moon lights with the return pump. I was thinking they may not draw enough wattage to trigger the silent solid state switches. Anyway, I decided to just hook them directly to the UPS until I get another EB8. :)

Because it's not as exciting as some of the other threads :rolleyes:... glad you found it eventually. Thank you :)

No problem. I'll try to keep an eye on the thread, but send me a PM if I don't answer in a day.

• Like 1

LoL I mainly look at the front page and hardware section. Seen your tank on the nomination page so I paid my visit. I will be back often love your sump setup.

• Like 1

LoL I mainly look at the front page and hardware section. Seen your tank on the nomination page so I paid my visit. I will be back often love your sump setup.

Thanx :)

No problem. I'll try to keep an eye on the thread, but send me a PM if I don't answer in a day.

I will PM you when I start loosing hair over this set up... omgomgomg

Thanks it's been a lot of work, and I can't wait for it to go on-line tomorrow. I was going to do it tonight, but work didn't co-operate.

I love how you do things up in here. Sexy in a nerdy kind of way...... :P

Seriously, of course the tank is beautiful, but I love all the thinking, tinkering, and application you put into the "behind the scenes".

Very inspiring for me.

Wow, there's a lot of stuff going on in here! :) Following along...

Your not kidding...I am in the process of hooking up the Apex, wireless bridge, UPS, web cam, dimming drivers. My head is about to pop off :wacko:

I love how you do things up in here. Sexy in a nerdy kind of way...... :P

Seriously, of course the tank is beautiful, but I love all the thinking, tinkering, and application you put into the "behind the scenes".

Very inspiring for me.

Thanks Spirofucci, there is a whole lot of nerdness going on ATM, not a lot of sexy :rolleyes: , I am not a electronics IT wiz so things have been very stressful the last two days, can't say I enjoy it but I am learning quite a bit. I saw my lights ramp up and down for the first time today, just a test but really nice. Couple more days and hopefully I will be able to focus on what's in the tank again.

Your not kidding...I am in the process of hooking up the Apex, wireless bridge, UPS, web cam, dimming drivers. My head is about to pop off :wacko:

The best advice I can give is to leave everything in it's box and just take it one piece at a time and forget about the rest for right now. Really in any large project, the key is to break it down into small, bite sized chunks. This project for example, just get the Apex up and running in your setup, and leave the wireless bridges, ups, web cams, and dimming drivers till you have the Apex up and running. You can add each one of those in turn.

Thanks Spirofucci, there is a whole lot of nerdness going on ATM, not a lot of sexy :rolleyes: , I am not a electronics IT wiz so things have been very stressful the last two days, can't say I enjoy it but I am learning quite a bit. I saw my lights ramp up and down for the first time today, just a test but really nice. Couple more days and hopefully I will be able to focus on what's in the tank again.

I find projects like these give satisfaction and a feeling of accomplishment, which is a different emotion than joy. After it's all setup, you'll look back and have a great feeling of accomplishment at what you did, and that feeling of accomplishment will bring a joy that was well worth the trouble, cursing, screaming, and wanting to break things that comes with large projects.
Nano sapiens

'Reefer found babbling incoherently on side of road'...news at 11:00!

The best advice I can give is to leave everything in it's box and just take it one piece at a time and forget about the rest for right now. Really in any large project, the key is to break it down into small, bite sized chunks. This project for example, just get the Apex up and running in your setup, and leave the wireless bridges, ups, web cams, and dimming drivers till you have the Apex up and running. You can add each one of those in turn.

I find projects like these give satisfaction and a feeling of accomplishment, which is a different emotion than joy. After it's all setup, you'll look back and have a great feeling of accomplishment at what you did, and that feeling of accomplishment will bring a joy that was well worth the trouble, cursing, screaming, and wanting to break things that comes with large projects.

This is why I am stepping away for a while. The Apex Controller has not been my friend since I opened the box. Probably just me or something I did. I used to think I was pretty good at figuring things like this out, not any more, this one has flipped me inside out. I will conquer this, in time, then I will write a proper instruction guide for it. :P

'Reefer found babbling incoherently on side of road'...news at 11:00!

You saw me on the news, how embarrassing, :blink:

LIVE & LEARN

Well it all started when I got the fancy idea to upgrade the controlling potential of my reef. I wanted to do more than what my current DA Reefkeeper Lite was capable of handling. It was boxing day and Apex controllers were slightly discounted and I made an impuse buy. I wanted to have more control over the following items for various reasons.

a) Control of my reef when I am away from home, and email notifications if the power went out.

b ) Ramping control of my 3 LED fixtures (3 channels), ability to program to come on, dim, and shut off at specific times.

c) Have a system that I felt was reliable and could control with relative ease from any location, including my home.

d) Have control of a UPS device for power interruptions.

After messing with the Apex for a week it still is not working the way it was intended and I expected it to, as well as other equipment like LED dimming drivers, wireless bridge, web interface software (Apex), and more. I am not blaming the equipment, I blame me for this insane tangle of wires I now have, 2 days of missed work, a headache, and a bank account that is considerably lower.

I remember an old acronym "KISS", stands for Keep It Simple Stupid, something I have always reused to do in life, LOL.

So a week later and $1200 later, I am really not much further ahead then before I started. Lesson learned. Here's what the result of my upgrade consists of currently (relating to first list above):

a) I have not been able to establish remote access to my reef outside of my home. I can however receive an email notification if power was lost to my reef, but can do nothing about it, still nice to know your reef investment is in jeopardy .

b ) I spent $300+ on LED drivers, cables, plugs, and hardware in order to convert my existing LED drivers to ones that can be controlled by the Apex Controller via Variable Speed ports. I am unable to get any of it to work properly, even with the greatest minds helping me from the various sources.

c) I can't feel confident ATM I can use the Apex to do what I hoped it would, again, this is probably my issue and not that of the equipment, I may never know.

d) At this point I do not have the UPS set up however, theoretically, it should work, but that is what I said about the Apex and drivers.

At this point I needed to make a decision and just go back to the DA Reefkeeper Lite for the time being. No UPS, No LED dimming, No remote access, No advanced programming, no email notification, just plain old basic RELIABLE function of my reef. Disappointed but LESSON LEARNED...

KISS

Sorry for the rant, LOL

Regards,

Christine

• Like 1

LIVE & LEARN

Well it all started when I got the fancy idea to upgrade the controlling potential of my reef. I wanted to do more than what my current DA Reefkeeper Lite was capable of handling. It was boxing day and Apex controllers were slightly discounted and I made an impuse buy. I wanted to have more control over the following items for various reasons.

a) Control of my reef when I am away from home, and email notifications if the power went out.

b ) Ramping control of my 3 LED fixtures (3 channels), ability to program to come on, dim, and shut off at specific times.

c) Have a system that I felt was reliable and could control with relative ease from any location, including my home.

d) Have control of a UPS device for power interruptions.

After messing with the Apex for a week it still is not working the way it was intended and I expected it to, as well as other equipment like LED dimming drivers, wireless bridge, web interface software (Apex), and more. I am not blaming the equipment, I blame me for this insane tangle of wires I now have, 2 days of missed work, a headache, and a bank account that is considerably lower.

I remember an old acronym "KISS", stands for Keep It Simple Stupid, something I have always reused to do in life, LOL.

So a week later and $1200 later, I am really not much further ahead then before I started. Lesson learned. Here's what the result of my upgrade consists of currently (relating to first list above):

a) I have not been able to establish remote access to my reef outside of my home. I can however receive an email notification if power was lost to my reef, but can do nothing about it, still nice to know your reef investment is in jeopardy .

b ) I spent $300+ on LED drivers, cables, plugs, and hardware in order to convert my existing LED drivers to ones that can be controlled by the Apex Controller via Variable Speed ports. I am unable to get any of it to work properly, even with the greatest minds helping me from the various sources.

c) I can't feel confident ATM I can use the Apex to do what I hoped it would, again, this is probably my issue and not that of the equipment, I may never know.

d) At this point I do not have the UPS set up however, theoretically, it should work, but that is what I said about the Apex and drivers.

At this point I needed to make a decision and just go back to the DA Reefkeeper Lite for the time being. No UPS, No LED dimming, No remote access, No advanced programming, no email notification, just plain old basic RELIABLE function of my reef. Disappointed but LESSON LEARNED...

KISS

Sorry for the rant, LOL

Regards,

Christine

Sorry to read about all your troubles with the equipment. Maybe if you try to get one working and fix that, and then tackle the next one, and get that to work, etc. you can slowly get it all going as it should ...

After all the time and money you spent I sure hope you can get things under control and working properly.

Archived