inTank Media Baskets

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

NanoTopia

It's funny, everyone always compares the WP25/10 etc to the MP10 but the Tunze is really what it's imitating, but with MP10 like controls.

Wonder why Tunze didn't just slap a full featured controller on their pumps?

I think they prefer to give their customers more options, they offer different controllers for their pumps. Tunze is a bit old school but the quality is there. I have used Tunze return and circulation pumps for years and have to say I have never had an problem with any of them ever. I have not used the controllable Tunze pumps before so I wait and see but from what I have experienced in the past, I am not worried.

The WP pumps are complete low quality knock off's of Tunze pumps, you cannot compare the two. True test for any pump is how long it runs problem free when run under normal conditions. My personal experience with one MP10wES, that answer was one week. Just my bad luck and probably a lemon pump but it was enough for me, with all the added issues I have had since then, to move to Tunze.

Review to follow :)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NanoTopia

Ordered the Tunze 6055 and Neptune cable yesterday, hopefully be here by Friday [fingers crossed]. Flow is lacking a bit in the tank for a few days, even with 4 pumps running, (2 x Tunze 6015 and 2 x Koralia Nano). I will remove one Tunze 6015 when the 6055 arrives. The problem is dead spots that are hard to remedy due to coral growth and general scape in the tank. Once I get some 30+ frags out of here flow should be better.

Meanwhile, the millepora just keeps growing...

13928981380_22df8b7c3b_c.jpg

TheKleinReef

two more options you forgot about:

1. upgrade ;)

2. frag tank ;)

just messin'

still looks amazing. i can't wait to get my mille to table again. it finally recovered and the bright pinks are coming back! :D

Shiok! Singaporean way of saying: Awesome!!

I do agree wp are tunze's cheap knock offs. And coming from a business point of view, wp sure give tunzes a run for the money.

Shiok! Singaporean way of saying: Awesome!!

I do agree wp are tunze's cheap knock offs. And coming from a business point of view, wp sure give tunzes a run for the money.

Terima kasih Ancelot :P

I found a Oregon Tort today I didn't have to re-morgage the house for, it's still settling in, picture just after putting it in water. I really hope this does well.

14133259236_abf0fae1f5_c.jpg

My Tryee Pink Jade has encrusted but not seeing much in the way of upward growth (the coral in focus between the montipora).

13969782479_3008769b26_c.jpg

Nice tort, I often wonder why the Oregon is so much. There is a local reefer selling 1" frags for 100, I hate people like this.

Christine,

Do you mind posting an updated dosing schedule of what you are currently adding to this system. Including net water volume?

Greatly appreciated.

Nice tort, I often wonder why the Oregon is so much. There is a local reefer selling 1" frags for 100, I hate people like this.

Supply and demand. Slow growing and beautiful.

Christine,

Do you mind posting an updated dosing schedule of what you are currently adding to this system. Including net water volume?

Greatly appreciated.

Sure Aj,

Please note some of my dosing is experimental and I do not recommend it for others necessarily as it is not proven to work long term.

Net Volume = 25 Gallons (95L)

ZS3 = 0.05 x 2 daily

Flow through the reactor = 25GPH

Stones = 250mL new stones changed out every 5 weeks (I leave 150mL of the old stones in the reactor each change) so I always have 400mL of stones in the reactor.

ZEObak = 1 drop twice a week mixed with Coral Snow 2mL.

Biomate = 1 drop twice a week sometimes mixed with Coral Snow 2mL

SP = 4 drops twice a week.

Phol's Xtra Special = 0.5-1.0mL every other day, depending how corals look.

Coral Vitalizer = 5 drops every day or every other day, dependant on nutrient levels.

AAHC = 1 drop twice a week

PIF = 1 drop once a week

B-Balance = 1mL twice a week

K-Balance = usually 1mL twice a week, dependant on K values.

Coral Booster = 1mL once a week mixed with FWS 1mL

ZEOspur Macroelements = 1mL once a week

Dosing Brightwell Aquatics Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, all in powder forms (I mix a stock solution a dose via auto doser) I dose Alkalinity and Calcium 6 times a day each staggered every 2 hours.

This too is such a killer tank Christine. I love the Flickr updates ;)

Thanks Dave :)

Mmmmm tort!

yummy :)

Awesome that Tort is wicked. Good weekend for corals in Canada indeed.

Indeed.

14174441771_b1cb7d79b6.jpg

The Tunze 6055 came in yesterday and I wasted no time getting it operational. So far I LOVE this thing. I also love finally being able to run a osculation of 4 seconds 30% and 4 seconds 70% through the Apex, could never do this with the Vortech. I can also run up to 32 different profiles for this pump, more than the 3 or 4 I actually need but I like options.

The flow is happening again in my tank and I know the corals will be thanking me soon enough.

In other news, I put a Tunze 6015 in the last chamber of my sump. With only ~400GPH running through it, I was getting some stagnate water in the last chamber since upgrading to the larger sump. So I decided to run the Tunze (~400GPH) power head 24/7. Keeps the Ca/Alk/Mg/ZEOstart3 auto additions moving and mixing well in that chamber, also keeps the detritus from settling.

Today is all about FLOW :)

jedimasterben

You have 400GPH flowing through your sump? Good lord - I measured mine at around 190GPH through mine, and my display is 80g and sump is 29! :) It's mostly due to noise, though. Either the noise is from water falling and splashing into the sump, or if the tube is underwater it gurgles and bubbles and the drain pipe flushes and makes awful noise. Can't seem to win the battle against noise.

I am starting to miss the directionality of my 6095s. I've been considering gyre-style flow for some time now, but having a shallow tank, Vortech MP40s aren't the best choice for it. Their flow pattern on any respectable intensity is as wide as my tank (48x24x16), and there are few choice places on my side panels that I can keep them or else they pull in air, blow water out of the tank (and I mean really blowing it out), or push the sand around lol. I love my tank, but it definitely helps me see what I will change in time as far as dimensions.

By 400gph I mean my return is roughly that, so 400gph moving through my sump although due to the size of my sump it hardly looks like the water is moving :)

I look now that the lights have turned on and corals look much more happy :happydance:

So, I have 400gph return flow, 1 x 6055 (30-70%), 1 x 6015, 2 x Koralia nano on all the time in my 20g :haha:

Too much flow?

Not according to my corals ;)

Tank flow is not measured by the powerbeads but rather the actual water movement in the tank. I guess I have an average of 2000gph worth of powerhead flow in my tank but the movement is less than that. I watch the small particles moving in the water, looks good to me :)

The drift dive we did in Fiji was insane. And it was only my 1st or 2nd dive after getting certified.

The flow was incredible, we were flying around. My wife and I ended up getting sucked out and up to the surface, scary times lol.

The drift dive we did in Fiji was insane. And it was only my 1st or 2nd dive after getting certified.

The flow was incredible, we were flying around. My wife and I ended up getting sucked out and up to the surface, scary times lol.

Exactly, unless you have dived on a reef you cannot appreciate just how much flow there is down there. Yet, corals grow and flourish. I think a lot of people underestimate the flow in their reef aquariums.

SouthFlorida_Tron

So in other words, be generous with flow..... My problem is the pile of sand emptying from the corner and covering up my pallys!

So in other words, be generous with flow..... My problem is the pile of sand emptying from the corner and covering up my pallys!

Your using the wrong sand ;)

That fine sugar sand stuff looks amazing in reef tanks but it's not very practical in application, at least in a nano tank. Aragonite gravel is what we should really have, but it tends to make your tank look like a river stream so something in between fits the bill :)

SouthFlorida_Tron

Its not even the finer of the fine sands, its in between! but i just turned off the mp10, thats what was pushing it upwards out of the corner... shut it off and it stopped moving... I need to adjust the return hose, and move the mp10 a bit...

The return is actually quite strong, the mp10 basically pushes the same amount in the same location, my difficulty is finding a sweet spot where it won't double the flow, yet will hit other spots on the other end of the tank...

The size of the acro on the opposite end won't allow me to mount the mp10 on the glass.

jedimasterben

By 400gph I mean my return is roughly that, so 400gph moving through my sump although due to the size of my sump it hardly looks like the water is moving :)

I look now that the lights have turned on and corals look much more happy :happydance:

So, I have 400gph return flow, 1 x 6055 (30-70%), 1 x 6015, 2 x Koralia nano on all the time in my 20g :haha:

Too much flow?

Not according to my corals ;)

Tank flow is not measured by the powerbeads but rather the actual water movement in the tank. I guess I have an average of 2000gph worth of powerhead flow in my tank but the movement is less than that. I watch the small particles moving in the water, looks good to me :)

It's certainly not too much flow if your corals aren't closing or being blown apart :lol:

I have a difficult time finding that darn 'sweet spot' in my tank, where there is as much flow as possible to the corals and around/under rocks to prevent detritus settling, but also not too much flow for the fleshier LPS (like frogspawn, duncan, and hammer) that don't appreciate both MP40 running at once :lol:

SouthFlorida_Tron

See thats part of the reason I have both sources of water movement coming from above the frogspawn, so its at least a little diminished by the time it circles back to the lps...all of the flow is directly pushed towards sps... perfect :)

Archived