ReefCleaners.org

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

I would go with Lot#H030.

Hanna told me the same thing, "No reported issues" with their reagents.

Now, what is up with those "mad scientist" gear?

Yes, I know the H030 is "more" correct :) I am not expecting Hanna to say I was right.

Just mixing up some potions for the corals :wizard:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was looking through Amazon and found this...

Hanna Instruments Certified Standard Kit, For Ultra Low Range Phosphorus Tester

Calibration checking set for Checker®HC HI 736 Phosphorus Ultra Low Range.

9730655672_cba690befa.jpg

I specifically asked Hanna Inc if they made a standard for the HI736, Hanna's answer, "no." I think they discontinued it because it is only available from Amazon. Maybe they didn't want people testing the accuracy of the checker and reagents with a standard any more, I wonder why.

So I ordered it out of curiosity. :naughtydance:

Was looking through Amazon and found this...

Hanna Instruments Certified Standard Kit, For Ultra Low Range Phosphorus Tester

Calibration checking set for Checker®HC HI 736 Phosphorus Ultra Low Range.

9730655672_cba690befa.jpg

I specifically asked Hanna Inc if they made a standard for the HI736, Hanna's answer, "no." I think they discontinued it because it is only available from Amazon. Maybe they didn't want people testing the accuracy of the checker and reagents with a standard any more, I wonder why.

So I ordered it out of curiosity. :naughtydance:

:lol:

They publish the accuracy and precision of most of their checkers. Several of them have ranges so wide they're completely useless for a reef, yet people still use them.

Pic for the week:

9715297572_c4a05214b2_c.jpg

This picture makes me wish i didn't lose my monti digi. :/ such a beautiful coral... I have such bad luck with them for some odd reason. I lost one to flatworms, and another to a random STN.

:lol:

They publish the accuracy and precision of most of their checkers. Several of them have ranges so wide they're completely useless for a reef, yet people still use them.

Veng, you are right, it is to be expected for a $50 investment. 5ppb from one batch, to 15ppb on the next batch is more than +/-5%. Just because you have a clear digital readout in front of your eyes, it doesn't mean the numbers are correct.

This picture makes me wish i didn't lose my monti digi. :/ such a beautiful coral... I have such bad luck with them for some odd reason. I lost one to flatworms, and another to a random STN.

It grows like a weed for me, fragged it a couple of times, if you lived up here I would send you a frag.

Polarcollision

Pic for the week:

9715297572_c4a05214b2_c.jpg

I've been lurking lately without a whole lot to contribute. Just wanted to say Hi and also that your two year old is still as gorgeous as ever! Thanks for posting the flourescent pigments chart and also your dosing schedule for zeo. Lots of good stuff to think about. :-)

I've been lurking lately without a whole lot to contribute. Just wanted to say Hi and also that your two year old is still as gorgeous as ever! Thanks for posting the flourescent pigments chart and also your dosing schedule for zeo. Lots of good stuff to think about. :-)

Hi Deb :)

Don't be silly, you have lots to contribute here on NR. How is the tank and photography?

Polarcollision

Hi Deb :)

Don't be silly, you have lots to contribute here on NR. How is the tank and photography?

:-) I just meant that my head is filled with other aspects of life and haven't had head-space to dive into reef-geek mode. Tank is recovering from the scape breaking and starting to color back up. Just waiting it out, and hoping the new spectrum from the Razor will influence the colors that come back. Greens and yellows are already much more intense than under the AI nano. Speaking of, did you notice on that chart that the yellow spectrum flouresces into a large range of emmitted light also? I find that interesting.

Tim and I spent our honeymoon at Glacier National Park. Sooooo beautiful and feirce! So I have some keeper photos from there and also got a few good ones camping at Mt. Baker under the stars. It's a good summer to be outdoors.

Deb, I know you have patience, to get the photo's you get, a great deal of patience is needed, things will improve slowly.

I did notice the yellow spectrum, I don't argue the use of it by corals, only the use of it by algae and cyanobacteria possibly. I don't think we can avoid having some yellow spectrum on our reef, all white led's, MH, and most T5 bulbs contain varying degrees of yellow spectrum. The trick is to try and limit that range so undesirable issues don't arise. :)

Glacier National Park is stunning! I spent a couple of days in Banff/Lake Louise/Calgary areas this past May. If you ever get a chance to do the Ice Fields Parkway, Banff to Jasper, you will be truly amazed. Best time is early June, just before the tourist rush :)

FTS today, tank is a mess with frags and some corals waiting to go in my 7 gallon ADA project. I think I will have to frag more stags soon, can't get into the tank to clean any more.

9732799985_4c25efe01d_c.jpg

Full, but looks nice :)

It doesn't take much to clutter these small tanks...and so easy to knock off branches!

Yes true, an upgrade won't help, I would just buy more corals and it would look the same, only bigger LOL.

I don't even test PO4. The range we're looking for and the quality of hobby kits available don't match up, it's pointless. My eyes are my test kit.

I am with you Chad, but I get fixated on things that #### me off, I am always needing to get to the bottom of things, especially with the things that don't work as advertised. I use my eyes as well, this is how I knew the Hanna checker was giving false results, now just to convince Hanna I am right... :lol:

ATI Ordered!

ATI Dimmable Sunpower T5 6x24W w/ controller (24").

The package came with a choice of 6 bulbs, I ordered:

3 x Blue+

2 x Aquablue Special

1 x Actinic

I will probably not run all 6 bulbs, maybe 4 or 5 bulbs will be enough for the 20 gallon. I bought the 6 bulb fixture for the future (possible) upgrade.

ATI Ordered!

3 x Blue+

2 x Aquablue Special

1 x Actinic

I will probably not run all 6 bulbs, maybe 4 or 5 bulbs will be enough for the 20 gallon. I bought the 6 bulb fixture for the future (possible) upgrade.

Giving up on your LEDs? Awesome tank, by the way.

Giving up on your LEDs? Awesome tank, by the way.

Thanks Paleoreef, yes, giving up the LED's. After 2+ years trial with 100% LED on this tank I will switch to 100% T5.

Led is not a bad light, they have produced some awesome growth for me over the years and I will continue to use them on other projects. I will go back to T5 on this tank, mainly for better light coverage (softer light). I have many corals above creating too many shadows that led cannot deal with.

Updated picture of the 'control centre" ...

I am using an iPod wirelessly to manually control 16 outlets. I find the Apex display a PITA to use. Still have the 'Panic Button" LOL, only used once when I was out of town, glad I made it :)

Bit of a wire mess up top and below, I become lazy to clean it up.

9734068975_a64e06ede8_c.jpg

love the tank .. can you elaborate more on how you use the ipod to control the outlets?

Sure, basically I am running wireless bridge connected to the apex (shown on the left upper side of the photo), that links to the wireless router in the house. The iPod is connected through the wireless router wireless in the house. Same as if I was using my iPhone outside the house to control outlets but I use LAN IP address and not the WAN IP address to connect, but I could really use either one but it makes more sense to use the LAN IP.

The iPod stays connected and I keep it on the outlets page for convenience, works really well, even if their was a power outage, my wireless bridge is on a UPS along with my UPS on the wireless router, the iPod would work off it's own battery. This would give me 1.5 hours I could control the Apex at home even in a power outage. Of course the apex can be controlled with the display as well, I just find it difficult to navigate so I prefer the iPod to control when I am right at the tank.

Here's the graphic to give you a better idea what's going on overall with the system:

8575358555_d9f8b6e3f5_c.jpg

ATI Ordered!

3 x Blue+

2 x Aquablue Special

1 x Actinic

#winning

Updated picture of the 'control centre" ...

I am using an iPod wirelessly to manually control 16 outlets. I find the Apex display a PITA to use. Still have the 'Panic Button" LOL, only used once when I was out of town, glad I made it :)

Bit of a wire mess up top and below, I become lazy to clean it up.

Agree with you that the Apex is a bit of a pain to use on the display. My PC is always on and just across the room, so it's simple for me to just walk over and load up the Apex webpage.

Archived