Cultivated Reef

NanoTopia's ZEOvit 80L [ ]

NanoTopia

That's really very cool actually. Most people don't think that far ahead if tragedy strikes. Looking forward to it. :D

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a simple little thing really...

I'm calling it a "Panic Button"

Basically a red push button mounted in a project box that will run off my ALD module.

Reason you may ask... In case of a major disaster happens with the tank, fire, flood, etc. The switch will be at the entrance to the room, one push and the tank shuts down, lights, pumps, heater, skimmer, everything. It will not cut main power however, just the equipment from the EB8, still I think it useful for others as well if I am not home. If the switch is pushed I will receive immediate notification by email and an alarm will sound. Hope it never has to be used :)

Pics of the build coming soon.

Totally a panic button lol. I love it.

lol that would be sweet, personally I like toggle switches with illuminated gaurds like this

I love that switch too, hehe, I went with a more basic one but anyone making this could use any switch they like :)

Totally a panic button lol. I love it.

Imagine, you return from work one day and the first thing you see when you come in the house is an alien fragging your tort...PANIC BUTTON !

:lol:

Neptune Apex ALD (Advanced Leak Detection) Module DIY Kill Switch (Panic Button)

By NanoTopia

This is a fun but useful DIY kill switch that can be run off the ALD module in place of one Apex probe and is inexpensive to make. The kill switch can be programmed to turn as many EB8/EB4 outlets as you wish off with the push of a button. The reason I made it was to turn off all my outlets in the event of an aquarium emergency, when I would need to turn everything off. The kill switch does not turn the main power off.

This is the ALD module and probes that were designed for it, quite useful and well designed.

8501977452_14a04ca56a_q.jpg8501977524_5c38b9b40f_q.jpg8501977602_40a57185f8_q.jpg

Here are the main supplies you will need for constructing the Kill Switch, Project box, RJ45 4P4C cable, push button on/off switch. You can use similar materials to suit your needs. You will also need some basic supplies to complete the project. I got everything from Radio Shack (The Source in Canada).

8622292481_97f9cd5123.jpg

The most important part is the cable and connection. The Apex ALD uses RJ45 4P4C (4 pin connecter) so you need to find this specific one. Important to note is only two wires are used out of the 4, these wires or pins are numbers 3 and 4. Numbers 1 and 2 are not used. The pictures below show the orientation needed for determining the direction in which the numbers are wired.

As you can see, the way you look at the plug makes a difference in the numbering order, either way here we would be selecting the green and yellow wire (your wire colours may differ), wires connected to pins numbers 3 and 4.

8623461040_b427be0024_n.jpg8622241433_34e43c5e93_n.jpg

Prepare the wires on the other end as shown, we do not need the wires connected to pins 1and 2 so you can just cut them off.

8623388234_7624307572.jpg

The first picture shows an example of the project box I used, yours may vary to suit your needs.

The second picture shows two holes drilled, one for the wire entering the box and the other for the switch. You may need a different size/shape hole depending on your switch.

8623389458_da40fafaf6_n.jpg8623391874_181b42c5fa_n.jpg

This is the box now with the switch installed and a rubber grommet (optional) to protect the wire.

8623390694_5c4d649df7.jpg

Now I soldered the wires to the switch, it doesn't matter which way the wires are connected, this is a simple on/off switch. I also protected the solder joints with heat shrink tubing. You want to make a loop in the box with the wire so it can't be pulled out. Pretty simple really.

8623386626_3319e89b4d.jpg

I attached the back on the box and added some fancy lettering (not so fancy is it). You can add some velcro on the back or other means of fastening the box to your desired location. Done!

8622281153_acfdb20dc8.jpg

Now you can test it out. First, go into your configuration > outlets setup > and choose one outlet that is not a vital piece of equipment, like a circulation pump. Add the following typical statement you would use for one of the Apex ALD probes:

If Switchx4_3 CLOSED Then OFF

Note: your switch might have different numbers

This is an example, If Switchx4_3 CLOSED Then OFF is my DIY kill switch:

8623359194_27be2cd8c3_b.jpg

Now plug in the kill switch to the ALD module making sure you select the right plug number. Test the switch, your pump should stop when the switch is closed and re-start when the switch is turned on again to the open position. If all works well, go ahead and add the statement to all the outlets you would like the switch to affect.

Remember, as Neptune indicates in there manuals, DIY - your on your own, there is little chance you can fry anything with this build but if you do, don't call me or Nepture, your on your own. Happy reefing - control freak.

This guide is mine, copying it will get you in a load of trouble, don't even think about it :)

Awesome! The label makes it that much more legit

You should have put this:

Push_Button___Receive_Bacon_by_MichikoMa

LOL

Definitely go with the bacon one :lol:

one question about the build though, why use the ALD and not a breakout module? Is the programming more elegant?

Seriously Push Button, Receive Bacon. Could life get any better?

On a more serious note. Great writeup and pics. I'm sure this will help many reefers! If I ever get an Apex, I will be using this fo' sho'

Thanks for the info, I think I'm gonna snag a sweet panic switch and wire one up for my setup. Hmm on second thought, maybe a 3 way switch and have a maintenance mode as the 2nd position..

bobssecrtsn

Here's a better one. You should get the one that staple caries... It reads like "EASY" :) it looks super nice too! Like someone would push it out of curiosity

So I'm thinking to pull out my Hydnophora rigida, it's the size of a soft ball, I have a frag of it as well. The reason is it is growing and getting too close to some acro's, Hydnophora can be nasty for stinging however I have not seen any action from it at all in over a year. Still think it is time to take it out, this would make space for another acro mini colony :eyebrows raised:

8598245071_b6e2b9d3c1.jpg
Have a nice frag of it as well

I'm also looking for a nice Oregon Tort frag here in BC, getting harder to find out my way. Lots in the USA but can't ship up to the great white north , hehe :)

Nano sapiens

So I'm thinking to pull out my Hydnophora rigida, it's the size of a soft ball, I have a frag of it as well. The reason is it is growing and getting too close to some acro's, Hydnophora can be nasty for stinging however I have not seen any action from it at all in over a year. Still think it is time to take it out, this would make space for another acro mini colony :eyebrows raised:

8598245071_b6e2b9d3c1.jpg
Have a nice frag of it as well

One of my all-time favorite corals, but alas, too aggressive/dominant for a Nano with other close neighbors. I had a grapefruit sized colony in a 50g directly under PCs ('back-in-the-day') and the neon-green florescence could be seen across the street ;)

One of my all-time favorite corals, but alas, too aggressive/dominant for a Nano with other close neighbors. I had a grapefruit sized colony in a 50g directly under PCs ('back-in-the-day') and the neon-green florescence could be seen across the street ;)

Yes, I fear I will wake up one morning to disaster so I will take it out. The florescence is quite amazing on this coral, lights up quite nicely under 403nm (TV) light.

Sad to see it go, but I know you'll be making room for something even better! I'll have to pick your brain later about some corals I am thinking of getting.

Sad to see it go, but I know you'll be making room for something even better! I'll have to pick your brain later about some corals I am thinking of getting.

I have no idea right now what I want to put in it's place, but I am on the look out for an Oregon Tort. Do you know anyone growing this locally in AB/BC?

I have no idea right now what I want to put in it's place, but I am on the look out for an Oregon Tort. Do you know anyone growing this locally in AB/BC?

Can't say I do. Sorry Christine. I have seen a 'Blue Tort' on Coral Master, but not sure how you feel about online coral shopping.

Can't say I do. Sorry Christine. I have seen a 'Blue Tort' on Coral Master, but not sure how you feel about online coral shopping.

I have seen that one, it is not an original Oregon Blue Tortousa, just a blue tort, nothing special. I could have got my hands on a nice Oregon one a year ago locally but it was too pricy ($250 for one inch), this was the real thing, a stunning blue. It came up from LA originally. I was hoping to omit the middle-man and get a nice piece for much less. The coral is so expensive because it grows so slow, Cali tort grows pretty fast in comparison but has more green on it than blue. Anyway, its a rare coral around these parts :)

id take some of the hydra :D

JR if you want to drive to Canada for it I would give you a good frag. Can't mail it over the boarder unfortunately :(

Oregon tort has the best blue color I've ever seen......Hope you find a piece!

I agree, I want an amazing piece, no rush, keepin' my eyeballs pealed for it though :eek:

Archived