Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

torch coral

scoobahSAM

I just picked up an australian golden torch coral at my lfs.. it was dying off so the lady at my lfs said I could take it if I want it for 5 bucks. I broke off the dead heads and placed it in my qt.

After breaking the dead heads off, the rest of the base won't stand upright. So I have it sitting sideways on the bottom of the tank.

its kind of hard to see because of the lighting but

DSC01470.jpg

its on a frag rack in the pic but I took the rack out and moved it to the bottom

Right now its getting flow from a koralia 240gph but not directly and lighting from one BOOSTled par30 bulb..

is there anything I should be doing differently? Thanks guys

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh. I'm sorry. :(

But yes it you supply heat, light and flow, there's really no way to lose a hardy coral. He'll be fine. Just be patient.

heres an update my dudes.. its doin way better. I found what looked like a barnacle living inside the side of one of the heads. "When in doubt throw it out" so I grabbed that little sucker with some plyers and ripped him out. It closes up at night, is that norm? Heres some pics of it open now

aussiegold.jpg

aussiegold2.jpg

heres an update my dudes.. its doin way better. I found what looked like a barnacle living inside the side of one of the heads. "When in doubt throw it out" so I grabbed that little sucker with some plyers and ripped him out. It closes up at night, is that norm? Heres some pics of it open now

aussiegold.jpg

aussiegold2.jpg

It looks happy now. It also looks like it's a frogspawn and not a torch. My frogspawn closes up a night also.

hmm weird thats what I thought it was too and my lfs owner kept saying it was an aussie gold torch but oh well I got it for 5 bucks and was looking for anything in the euphyllia family

thanks! it really looked like sh*t when I bought it.. I should have taken a before and after pic but oh well :P really happy with the outcome.. I wanted a frogspawn to begin with so im a bit happier now that you guys cleared that up for me :)

ok just googled cristata coral.. THAT looks nothing like my coral. -_- you wanna give me a specific link or maybe a common name?

instead of just saying "MEH you're wrong HOE, and I KNOW EVERYTHING RAWR!"

you're right tho, doesn't really look like a frogspawn now that im really looking at a frogspawn.. looks like the tips split several times in a frogspawn and the tips of my coral are all individuals with no splits.

Archived