Pod Your Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

What did you get?!

I'm looking around to see if I can change the layout and turn off features. So far I can't find any way to do it.

I really want the "like" button gone. I want my location and join date back. I want the "recent posts" list shrunk down. I want a more detailed background. Right now it looks terrible on my Mac and Safari.

I got some T5 bulbs. <3

Can't beat a 24" screen and full keyboard. ;)

I tried using it on my 10 foot projector that is hooked up to my Mac Mini. It looks like a blank canvas because there is no background. It used to look amazing and I used to browse NR with the projector all the time.

I use opera and I can set it up to go white text on black screen like this: It's not 100% without problems though. It will be useful if I'm surfing nano-reef after dark and I don't have giant white screen.

8xoEL.png

Edited by Veng
Polarcollision

:wub:

IMG_4125.JPG

I love draco! Have always wanted one since first sight, but LFS told me I need a 75g or bigger tank. And yet, here you are with a happy, fat fish proving them wrong. Makes me wonder if it's possible in an 8 gallon, or if that would just be cruel. What do you think?

Edited by Polarcollision

Ooh. Thank you ma'am may I please have another? :D

:slap:

We have a freaking quota of positive votes per day?? WTF! >.<

So Veng and I are working on the sump!!

We do? There is a quota? I'm comin' ovah to see the sump. On your thread that is. :D

I tried using it on my 10 foot projector that is hooked up to my Mac Mini. It looks like a blank canvas because there is no background. It used to look amazing and I used to browse NR with the projector all the time.

I used to like to see Chris Marks and other photo threads on my big screen. Like so

IMG_20110924_192533.jpg

I use opera and I can set it up to go white text on black screen like this: It's not 100% without problems though. It will be useful if I'm surfing nano-reef after dark and I don't have giant white screen.

Black screens weird me out after you click out of it, the ghost bothers me too much.

I love draco! Have always wanted one since first sight, but LFS told me I need a 75g or bigger tank. And yet, here you are with a happy, fat fish proving them wrong. Makes me wonder if it's possible in an 8 gallon, or if that would just be cruel. What do you think?

Aww, thanks. Mandarins really need a 30G tank, you could potentially get away with a 20G if he did not have other competition for pods, but these guys do get big. He is a happy fat fish and I'm very lucky, he loves frozen foods of a small particle size like Nutramar Ova, Reef Nutrition ROE. For the first 3 months I had him, I also had a pod culture but now I just seed my fuge every few months.

Aww, thanks. Mandarins really need a 30G tank, you could potentially get away with a 20G if he did not have other competition for pods, but these guys do get big. He is a happy fat fish and I'm very lucky, he loves frozen foods of a small particle size like Nutramar Ova, Reef Nutrition ROE. For the first 3 months I had him, I also had a pod culture but now I just seed my fuge every few months.

Also, what's your total water volume. It's not 34 gallons, that's for sure! I think your sump is 23 or 24 gallons IIRC, so you're almost a 60 gallon setup.

I've been considering trying one in a 20L w/ a 10 gallon sump. It may or may not work out, but it's not going to survive on pods from the tank alone, that's for sure. You have to get them eating frozen foods or culture pods. It's a lot of work and sadly a lot of them die every year from starvation.

How big is that screen Kat? Looks perfectly square. Mine is 16:9 so it is perfect for movies. Which is what I use it for mainly. I like how you framed your screen up to look like a picture. We did the same thing.

Also, what's your total water volume. It's not 34 gallons, that's for sure! I think your sump is 23 or 24 gallons IIRC, so you're almost a 60 gallon setup. I've been considering trying one in a 20L w/ a 10 gallon sump. It may or may not work out, but it's not going to survive on pods from the tank alone, that's for sure. You have to get them eating frozen foods or culture pods. It's a lot of work and sadly a lot of them die every year from starvation.
You're forgetting water displacement due to rocks and sand. My sump is also filled ony half way. I would estimate my water volume to be no more than 40 gallons.I was lucky to get Draco already eating nutramar ova. I fact I made the LFS feed the tanks that had the mandarins and I saw him pecking at the food, knew he was my little guy right there. I used to look at mandarins with longing for a long time, and knew I could not keep one in my bio cube. It was after I read about pod culturing and what to look for when purchasing a Mandy, that I felt comfortable in my ability to provide for one. I would not have bought a mandarin online for this reason.
How big is that screen Kat? Looks perfectly square. Mine is 16:9 so it is perfect for movies. Which is what I use it for mainly. I like how you framed your screen up to look like a picture. We did the same thing.
It looks deceptive but it's a standard 16:9, it's a 10 footer.

blackmail
Hey Trog, I'm going to report this post to see how reporting works. This post is my proof that I'm just testing it, I don't really want to squish you forevah! :flower:

On second thought, Trog, never mind.

Polarcollision

Also, what's your total water volume. It's not 34 gallons, that's for sure! I think your sump is 23 or 24 gallons IIRC, so you're almost a 60 gallon setup.

I've been considering trying one in a 20L w/ a 10 gallon sump. It may or may not work out, but it's not going to survive on pods from the tank alone, that's for sure. You have to get them eating frozen foods or culture pods. It's a lot of work and sadly a lot of them die every year from starvation.

I have 8 gallons - way too small based on the numbers thown out. Probably shouldn't even add anything else if I go by the fish/gallon 'rule'. Nitrates are steady at zero, so I thought it could handle a bit more bioload. There's just a lonely 1" juvenile clown and I was wondering if he would feel better with another tiny fishy friend. Those 20L have great lines for scaping. I'm cheering you on to give it a go!

No sad or hungry creatures in my care, so I'll just have to wait until it's time to upgrade for a mandarin. I was envisioning feeding it live pods every day. I figure that by the time the clown fish gets full size I'll have a 30 gallon cube running again. So I assume the sump water volume counts because the pods can live/breed there and then make their way into the DT for mandarin dinner?

You're forgetting water displacement due to rocks and sand. My sump is also filled ony half way. I would estimate my water volume to be no more than 40 gallons. I was lucky to get Draco already eating nutramar ova. I fact I made the LFS feed the tanks that had the mandarins and I saw him pecking at the food, knew he was my little guy right there. I used to look at mandarins with longing for a long time, and knew I could not keep one in my bio cube. It was after I read about pod culturing and what to look for when purchasing a Mandy, that I felt comfortable in my ability to provide for one. I would not have bought a mandarin online for this reason. It looks deceptive but it's a standard 16:9, it's a 10 footer.

Yeah, but the water volume is already taken into account. Actual water volume is generally 2/3rds-ish the "tank volume". And really, having more rock, so more bio filter, so you can feed more (all that macro) are all really good things.

Watching the group of them eat in the tank at the LFS was really smart.

I have 8 gallons - way too small based on the numbers thown out. Probably shouldn't even add anything else if I go by the fish/gallon 'rule'. Nitrates are steady at zero, so I thought it could handle a bit more bioload. There's just a lonely 1" juvenile clown and I was wondering if he would feel better with another tiny fishy friend.

No sad or hungry creatures in my care, so I'll just have to wait until it's time to upgrade for a mandarin. I was envisioning feeding it live pods every day. I figure that by the time the clown fish gets full size I'll have a 30 gallon cube running again. So I assume the sump water volume counts because the pods can live/breed there and then make their way into the DT for mandarin dinner?

Mandarins get big, like 4" when they are full adults. As far as the clown, he's probably happy by him self tbh.

To an extent. 20L or 30 cubes, even with reasonable sized sumps, aren't going to be able to make enough pods to support a mandy. It's like asking a cow to survive on the grass in a 10'x10' pen, it just doesn't work. They can live their if you give them hay, but it's not big enough to grow enough grass to be self sufficient.

Edited by Veng
Polarcollision

Yeah, but the water volume is already taken into account. Actual water volume is generally 2/3rds-ish the "tank volume". And really, having more rock, so more bio filter, so you can feed more (all that macro) are all really good things.

Watching the group of them eat in the tank at the LFS was really smart.

Mandarins get big, like 4" when they are full adults. As far as the clown, he's probably happy by him self tbh.

To an extent. 20L or 30 cubes, even with reasonable sized sumps, aren't going to be able to make enough pods to support a mandy. It's like asking a cow to survive on the grass in a 10'x10' pen, it just doesn't work. They can live their if you give them hay, but it's not big enough to grow enough grass to be self sufficient.

OK - help me work on Tim. Now I have to convince him to let me upgrade beyond nano size. :-)

Upgrade = Bewbs. Or something else equally enticing. Can't hurt , right? ;)

Seriously though get your current tank really pretty and full, and *then* find something they can't live with out. Now you have to upgrade.