September 2018

Yn0iZl.jpg

May 2019

mWMCfr.jpg

October 2019

xbzucU.jpg

• Like 9
SouthFlorida_Tron

Tracking. Did you experience flow issues? Or mainly, other than the leak, what were the minor headaches.... Which I keep hearing is a bunch of minor stuff?

(Moved from first post)

I finally decided it was time to upgrade my JBJ 28g led cube. I wanted something a little bigger, but not too big. I wanted a Elos, but d*** they are too pricey. I looked into ADA, but it seemed to required too much to be done to get it reef ready. I made my decision on the Cadlights 40g Artisan, even after reading about the few negative comments on them. So, I put my order in on 5/26, order wasn't shipped til 6/2 due to the holiday and freight issues, no biggie. I received the tank a few days late on 6/10. I've been busy and didn't get a chance to assemble everything until two days ago. The stand itself took me about 2hrs, maybe 3... :lol: there were no instructions, I even called and asked to have the instruction emailed, but the email never came. Anyways, I went fast, got rock, sand, saltwater, and pluming work done within a day. Ran into a little leaking problem with the return bulkhead that was included, but nothing a little Teflon and silicone couldn't fit. I had 25lbs of dry rock from macro rock, which I purchased weeks ago with 10lbs of rumble. In the end, I maybe used about 15-18lbs dry rock and 1-2lbs of rumble for the fuge....lol IDK, may get rid of the fuge, that area looks way too small to have any kind of impact.

28g (Sold)

img58465.jpg

rockwork1.jpg

rockwork2.jpg

Ammonia reading

test1i.jpg

Looks great. I really like these tanks. The scape looks brilliant too. What kind of putty did you use to hold the dry rock together?

Thanks, I used loctite epoxy putty.

I have been looking at this exact tank. How is the noise level compared to the 28g JBJ? I want one of these in my theater room. Nice set up.

When the cabinet is closed, it's pretty quiet. Almost quieter than my JBJ. Some of the noise is coming from the water flowing through the inlet hose hitting the sump. The inlet hose I received is a little short. I had to move the sump off-center to the right, so the inlet hose can be submerged about 3/4". But, most of the noise, I would say is from the media chamber, which is the 2nd chamber. I guess, it's in the way its designed. When the water enters, it sounds like a little water fall.

img58715.jpg

Tracking. Did you experience flow issues? Or mainly, other than the leak, what were the minor headaches.... Which I keep hearing is a bunch of minor stuff?

Flow issues? I think, the return pump is only rated at 400GPH. I will likely be upgrading to a Eheim 1260. I have two maxi-jet 1200 for flow right now, as the tank cycles. Later, I will use the Mp10 from the 28g and purchase a second one. I don't mind the overflow design, though a smaller one would be nice. And, the amount of water the sump can hold is little. Also, there's no space to fit a regular 12" heater in the sump, I had to stick it in the overflow.

Anyways, I finally found use for the JBJ led nano-glo I purchased last year. Also, I will add, I'm currently cycling the tank with Dr. Tim's. Dosed the tank with ammonium chloride yesterday and got ammonia to 4ppm. Then, I emptied 3/4 of the 4oz bottle of the live nitrifying bacteria. Today, ammonia is at 1ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate 5ppm.

img58754.jpg

Edited by Asureef
  • 2 weeks later...

Small update, new toys! :)

ATI Sunpower 24" 6x24w, still waiting on the hanging kit from Reefgeek..

img5893copy.jpg

Apex Lite, got it used for a sweet deal w/Ph probe.

Still a little confused on setting this thing up so I can acces it over the internet.

But, Russ from reeftronics will be helping me out with that.

img5899copyn.jpg

Being able to control everything via my smartphone is, awesome!

img5912copy.jpg

Thanks, guys!

Well, I came home today to a horrific scene. My floor was WET. The first thought to my mind was, the tank had cracked....but, then there's still a lot of water in the tank. Then, I checked the bulkhead, because it did leak quite a bit before I sealed it with silicone. Well, that wasn't the problem. The problem was the return hose, some how the pressure from the pump had pushed the vinyl hose off and instead of pumping water back into the display, it was pumping water straight out of the sump into cabinet, then the floor. Good thing I had siliconed the edges inside the cabinet, this prevented water from leaking behind the cabinet and onto the back wall, which would've been hard to clean. I installed a plastic clamp on the hose, to make sure it stayed put. After refilling up the water, I think I lost about 4gallons.

Looks good so far!! Your pictures look great too! What camera are you using?

Thanks, I'm using my trusty Canon 40D.

Just4Derek

Hi, your tank looks great.

Did you have any leak problem with the drain? I really don't like the slip fitting of the drain (pvc pipe to nylon fitting). Mine had minor leak problem with it. and I am going to change it to the thread fitting.

Hi, your tank looks great.

Did you have any leak problem with the drain? I really don't like the slip fitting of the drain (pvc pipe to nylon fitting). Mine had minor leak problem with it. and I am going to change it to the thread fitting.

I haven't ran into any problem with that yet. Though, I did get a slight leak from the return bulkhead. I just Teflon and silicone everything up real good, and it's been working so far. Made a DIY inlet box for the sump, no more salt creep or water fall noise. I will be adding a union to the drain hose for easy maintenance and a check valve for the return. Also, I just found out, the stock Boyu return pump GPH is actually higher than 400. It's really 2500L/gph, which = 660GPH. Not bad at all, and the noise isn't bad either.

BTW, how's the bubble magus working for you?

Just4Derek
I haven't ran into any problem with that yet. Though, I did get a slight leak from the return bulkhead. I just Teflon and silicone everything up real good, and it's been working so far. Made a DIY inlet box for the sump, no more salt creep or water fall noise. I will be adding a union to the drain hose for easy maintenance and a check valve for the return. Also, I just found out, the stock Boyu return pump GPH is actually higher than 400. It's really 2500L/gph, which = 660GPH. Not bad at all, and the noise isn't bad either.

BTW, how's the bubble magus working for you?

I also added some teflon tape to the return bulkhead. Because of the threaded fitting, no problem at all.

I still suggest you pay more attention to the drain pipe. Because of the slip fitting and you can't glue pvc and nylon together, the risk of leaking is high. If it happens, could be a disaster. You can actually pull that pvc pipe out of the fitting. Every time I move the flex drain pipe, I got some minor leak between the pvc pipe and the fitting, even though I applied silicone on it.

Another suggestion is redo the baffles of the sump. CAD's new sump design is very bad. I posted some pics at squirrel's thread. I am very pleased with the result.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...0&start=220

You can also glue the black drain plate( don't know how to call it, I think you know what I mean) to the right side of the fuge, so that it can block the chaeto going into the return chamber.

I didn't buy the skimmer from CAD as I bought a NAC3.5 before. So far so good.

I am interested in your inlet box. Can you post some pics?

I also added some teflon tape to the return bulkhead. Because of the threaded fitting, no problem at all.

I still suggest you pay more attention to the drain pipe. Because of the slip fitting and you can't glue pvc and nylon together, the risk of leaking is high. If it happens, could be a disaster. You can actually pull that pvc pipe out of the fitting. Every time I move the flex drain pipe, I got some minor leak between the pvc pipe and the fitting, even though I applied silicone on it.

Another suggestion is redo the baffles of the sump. CAD's new sump design is very bad. I posted some pics at squirrel's thread. I am very pleased with the result.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...0&start=220

You can also glue the black drain plate( don't know how to call it, I think you know what I mean) to the right side of the fuge, so that it can block the chaeto going into the return chamber.

I didn't buy the skimmer from CAD as I bought a NAC3.5 before. So far so good.

I am interested in your inlet box. Can you post some pics?

I just use the aluminum clamp to hold the nylon hose to the end of pvc. I used pvc cement and wedged the little pvc end into the thread as tight as possible, then I apply silicone around the edges. I move the sump around quite a bit while messing with the skimmer and haven't had a leak yet from the drain connection. Just hope what I did worked, cause I know very little about pluming. :)

I actually got the idea for the inlet box from TKG from his build thread here. Getting a custom one built and a ATO container, as my DIY work looks like crap. lol ....

I like your redesign of the sump, though I think I will keep mines the way it is. It's proving to be a good spot for the apex probes and maybe a carbon & phos reactors return.

what light did you use for the sump before the jbj light

The stock PC from Cadlights.

peacemaker

Nice build! I'm curious... the JBJ Nano-Glo has a magnet to hold it onto the side glass. Any reason for your choice to place it on top instead of the front or back?

Nice build! I'm curious... the JBJ Nano-Glo has a magnet to hold it onto the side glass. Any reason for your choice to place it on top instead of the front or back?

To me, placing it on top utilizes the light better, more coverage.

Anyways, I did a touch up on the scape, after a friend suggested that I needed more rock. I wanted to keep it minimalist as possible without me having to re-do the two islands. So, I simply added a bridge in the middle. Let me know what you guys think. I also removed 50% of the sand, which was fiji pink. I find it a little too fine, as it was being blown around and getting on the rocks with just 2x 1200 in there. I can't imagine what it would be like once I have the vortechs in. So, I replaced the top layer with Caribsea special reef grade sand, which seem to be holding down so far.

New,

img5953copy.jpg

Old,

front1fy.jpg

Edited by Asureef